1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Super Bowl Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 2, 2006.

1. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Here is a prediction from Bill Simmons at ESPN:

I was going to write an elaborate breakdown using my Manifesto and everything, but this looks like one of the easiest Super Bowl picks in recent memory. Try to follow me on this one:

1. The NFC stunk all season. Just look at the interconference matchups: The six AFC playoff teams went 20-4 against the NFC; the six NFC playoff teams went 9-11 against the AFC. Sorry, I'm going with the good conference.

2. Seattle made it to the Super Bowl by beating, at home, two banged-up teams that were running on fumes. We have no idea how good they are, or if they're good in the first place. That's the only reason this line isn't seven points or higher. The Seahawks might be really good. It's just that nobody knows. Personally, I don't think they're in the class of Pittsburgh, Indy or New England. They're on that next level.

3. Over the last two seasons, the Steelers are 26-2 in games not started by Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch or Tom Brady. Warrants mentioning.

4. Even before that interception touchdown bounced off Champ Bailey's shoulder pads and went to Hines Ward for the first down in Denver, I was writing that the Steelers looked like the proverbial Team of Destiny. Sometimes, certain teams get on a run of luck, almost like someone at a hot blackjack table. And you have to ride it until it's over.

5. Roethlisberger, Ward, Parker, Polamalu, Antwan Randle El, Heath Miller, James Farrior ... just seems like Pittsburgh has an inordinate amount of guys who can make big plays during the course of a game.

6. The number of Steelers fans at Sunday's game is going to be staggering -- I bet that 70-75 percent of the stadium will be rooting for them, and at least 30 percent of those people will be poorly dressed and wearing a Pittsburgh jersey with some sort of condiment stain on it. Call it a modified home-field advantage for the Steelers.

7. I'm a big believer in the "We need to win this for Jerome" angle. Seattle seems happy to be there; Pittsburgh seems inspired by a higher cause. You can almost see Cowher's jaw trembling on the podium as he hands the trophy to Bettis, followed by Jim Nantz wishing he could have been there to gush, "Jerome Bettis, welcome home!" Some things are just destined to happen.

The pick: Pittsburgh 23, Seattle 17

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060203

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Congrats to the Steelers [​IMG]

3. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got back home from church at halftime and it didn't seem that I missed that much.

Seattle blew it when they were about to score and take a 17-14 lead. Then they had a penalty and then the interception that turned everything around for Pittsburgh.

Waiting for the Broncos to come out on top next year; at least I hope.

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Two ten point swings on interceptions, but the Steelers got the last one. That was the turning point in the game.

The Steeler defense won this one the old fashioned way.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, my prediction is unless the Lord takes some or all of us before a year from now, we'll hear more predictions then, ya' think?
    Ed