1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Super Bowl Sunday, what does your church do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformed1689, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, does your church bow to the Super Bowl or do they go on with Christian Service as normal?

2. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Services the same as always.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean "Bow"
    Many churches have seen great evangelistic results due to the Super Bowl.

By having a Christmas pageant - is that a "normal" Christian service?
    By have a "youth night" - is that a "normal Christian Service?
    By having a "Fellowship dinner" - is that a normal Christian Service?

Better yet, can you show in Scripture what a "normal Christian Service" is?

Let me mention this - years (and years ago) I was of the thinking you presented in the OP. but we are now in the 21 Century -
    Our Message has NEVER changed - but some of the Methods have.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Decons drinking beer in the back, youth minister and music leader taking bets, Pastor wearing a Buccaneers shirt, AC/DC Thunderstruck blaring in the Sanctuary, strippers setting up on the gym.

So normal service.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Guvnuh

Guvnuh Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No evening services.

I oppose, but I’m only one vote.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean that some churches cancel their evening service so people can watch the super bowl, or they have a super bowl party with no spiritual aspect to it, they just watch the game.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF its just watching the game at the church - thats one thing
    but many will have devotions during the half -time - great evangelistic tool
    Then again - many churches do not have an evening service.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right I am talking specifically about churches who cancel everything just to watch a game.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our 'team' lost over and over at the Colosseum and other arenas in the early centuries. What would those martyrs think of today's churches voluntarily yielding any of the Lord's Day to the trashy, violent spectacle of the Super Bowl?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is wrong for church groups to fellowship around a sports game (at least not as long as it is a baseball game). But a lot of the things that accompany these televised events are ungodly.

That said, I probably did not do any better. I watched about 6 episodes of Undercover Boss (which I do not buy as real) instead of the game. There was nothing worth seeing on TV, I did not feel like getting off the couch, and I did not want to sit there and watch nothing. In retrospect, I should have put Monty Python's Holy Grail on instead. But who wants to be a Monday morning quarterback?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was checking some links about Sunday night service.
    There doesn't seem to be a united voice as to how Sun pm services began.
    Some think the Puritans started - another article stated it began in WWII due to factories have 3 shifts all seven days - and a PM service allowed those who worked Sun am to attend Sun PM
    Other said its an extra blessing to meet twice on Sun- but others say it is too much of a burden on Bi-vo Teachers.

We had a discussion on BB about 10 years ago:
    Sunday Night Service

Bottom line - is that Scripture does NOT require 1)SS, 2) MW, 3) TU, 4) PM Svc 5) Wed Prayer Met (which if still happening is now oftne a preaching service) 6) Thur visitation, 7) youth night, 8) Church cleanup --- yep some churches demand you be there 8 days a week.
    Just show me in Scripture where we must - then we will comply.....

What we are commanded - is to evangelize - and Super Bowl night is a great way to do so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, they go back further than that! To the beginning:

John 20:19
    Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled...

Acts of the Apostles 20:7
    And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

#14 Jerome, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Services as normal, and before Covid, had big cell group SB parties!

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1689 London Baptist Assembly recommending that church discipline be extended even to nonattendance at the midweek service:

Narrative of The Proceedings of the 1689 London Baptist Assembly

"The Questions Proposed from the Several Churches, Debated, and Resolved
    Question. Whether when the Church have agreed upon the keeping of one day, weekly or monthly, besides the first day of the week, to worship God and perform the necessary services of the Church, they may not charge such persons with evil that neglect such meetings, and lay them under reproof, unless such members can shew good cause for such their absence?
    Answer. Concluded in the affirmative (Heb. x. 25)."

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, "A Dirge for the Downgrade" (1889):

"Look at your half-Sunday professors—content with only one service and weary of that!"

"In many Chapels two services...have proved too great an effort for the constitution of the ministers and too much of a tax upon the time of their hearers who are occupied with the far superior avocations of card games or lawn tennis."

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon on the Prayer Meeting (1875):

"why is it that so many prayer-meetings are so very thin? I know some places in London where they talk about giving up the prayer-meeting....Poor dear things, they cannot manage to get out to worship more than once in the week, they are so much occupied."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, "The Church's Work" (1877 address to the London Baptist Association):

"You know, the bricklayers, and carpenters, and working people that come to the Tabernacle....would like a service every night in the week. They most of them have to earn their livings, but you, ladies and gentlemen, that live a little way out of town, are too tired with your day's work, which, I hear, consists of going at ten in the morning and coming home at five. It is so very wearisome that you cannot be expected to have a lecture and a prayer meeting. I am sorry for your sickness, and I trust that you may speedily recover, for there can be no real blessing, depend upon it, where the prayer-meeting is put into a secondary position."

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, The Soul-Winner :

"One lazy man said...why...not give up one of the Sunday services? The same reasoning might apply to that as to the week-night meeting. I saw, in an American paper to-day, the following paragraph: ”The well-known fact is again going the rounds that, in Mr. Spurgeon’s church in London, the regular hearers absent themselves one Sunday evening every three months, and the house is given up to strangers....Our American Christianity is of so noble a type that hosts of our people give up their pews to strangers every Sunday night in the year.” I hope it will not be so with your people, brethren, either with respect to the Sabbath services or the prayer-meetings."

• Winner Winner x 1