1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SuperBowl Tickets

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Judith, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I don't know. Maybe.

Would it be a sin to live in a 4-bedroom house when all you ever need is three?

Would it be a sin to belong to a country club when you can play on the public course for a whole lot less?

Would it be a sin to pay anything to go to the Super Bowl when you can watch it free on television?

I guess you see where I'm going with this. Where does something stop being a sin and start being wise discretionary spending?

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes. I can see the game better from my living room. Or the living room of one of my fellow Sunday school class members, because we're having a Super Bowl party Sunday night.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It would be a sin for me, because I would have to rob a bank to be able to buy a soda there. Seriously, if one has the money, and is taking care of their family, giving to the Lord, and feels a desire to do it, I guess it is their business. I cannot imagine paying that kind of money for any event in this life.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I don't know, Judith-----but it ought to be a sin for a Christian to CHARGE that amount for a suite!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It would be so neat if a pro team moved into Alabama and they made it to the Super Bowl with the Saints. It would be the New Orleans Saints vs the Alabama Gars.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1. It's a misunderstanding of what sin is.

2. I would absolutely buy Super Bowl tickets.

8. Archie the Preacher

Excellent question, Judith

I'm not sure I should even address this.

I find it a total waste of time to watch that many grown men, all over-muscled and under thinking, get paid to chase a ball back and forth for the amusement of many more under-exercised and under thinking people willing to pay for the privilege of watching. They would have to pay me $600,000 to sit and watch the idiotic display.

That's not an opinion based on Biblical text. It is merely the sum total of my tendencies and preferences.

Nor is it my place to judge others on their actions in terms of 'sin'. (I feel obliged to evaluate people's actions in terms of 'legality' or 'threat to others', but not 'sin'.)

Judith, I find this an excellent question and I am not being sarcastic. From what I see in Holy Writ, this sort of judgmental process is alien to the conduct of a person forgiven by grace and relying on God. (If that sounds like a shot at you, it isn't. Honest.)

9. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Would you like it better if the government allotted 85,000 tickets to poor and down trodden Americans whose annual income did not exceed $35,000 a year?
    Would this be a sin or Liberalism? This is Free Enterprise; The law of supply and demand. Best there is unfortunately.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

::: Putting Archie down as a "No" for the Super Bowl party :::

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya think?

And I was really starting to like the guy....:smilewinkgrin:

13. Archie the Preacher

It's okay...

I'll be praying for all you misguided souls... :holier-than-all-of-thou-icon:

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It's anyone rights to spend their money any way they choose to. If they've worked for it, it's nobody's bees' wax. I personally wouldn't do it , even if I could, but to each their own...

I'd take some of that $600,000 and buy Brother SN indoor plumbing so he wouldn't have to walk to the creek bank in the winter for his monthly bath. I'm sure Brother Tom Butler would appreciate it, too. :tongue3:

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I wonder how many of those football players would recognize your reasoning as totally fallacious? :smilewinkgrin:

16. Archie the Preacher

Simple

Both of them that can read.

17. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You totally missed the question. It is not about what others think of the person, but what God thinks. Is it sin?

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I honestly don't know. If they are using their hard earned money for it, then how would it be a sin? A bit excessive? Sure. But a sin? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I know they could take that money and help the poor, but it's their $$$ and their right to do with it what they want.

19. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really! I thought it was all God's and we are just stewards and suppose to do all we do in word or deed as unto the Lord.

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It does seem to be an obscenity just thinking it through...somewhat decadent.