1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supernatural and Natural

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jul 23, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would you define supernatural and natural?

I believe that a lot of people are misled into thinking that what we often call natural events are labelled as supernatural and the supernatural labelled as natural.

I would contend that all of God's creation and all of his doing (which includes everything) is supernatural and every event which follows is supernatural.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an interesting site that explains things in a somewhat technical way.

God's Divine Activity in Natural Process and Miracles

Basic to every Christian is the belief that God is the creator of everything and everything emanates from Him; in this your opening statement is correct.

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. (Colossians 1:16-18 ESV)

But of course God works in many different ways.
    Even in the original works of creation God worked in different ways.
    (We can see this in the different Hebrew words used that were translated “created” and “made”).

At times God created by the power of His word.
    “And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.” (Genesis 1:3 ESV).
    We would call this “supernatural”.

At other times He created by commanding something already created.
    “And God said, ‘Let the earth sprout…’” (see Genesis 1:11-12).
    We might call this natural

God can work directly, indirectly (through the use of an intermediating agent) or design (initial creative design to perform a purpose).

Do you not fear me? declares the LORD;
    Do you not tremble before me?
    I placed the sand as the boundary for the sea,
    a perpetual barrier that it cannot pass;
    though the waves toss, they cannot prevail;
    though they roar, they cannot pass over it.

(Jeremiah 5:22 ESV)

This too we would call “natural”

I’ve heard explanations about how God may have performed various miracles;
    whether by direct action or by an intermediating agent we all know that God works His will in many sundry ways.

Rob