1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Supersessionism - the error of St. Augustine and others

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by beameup, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to the OPs statement, or to the link?

It is not unreasonable to see that Replacement Theology can lead to anti-semitism.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, the Jewish people have not played the part of the scapegoat...not in the context of this discussion, with specific reference to the holocaust.

They were more in line with the sacrifice that did not live.

3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post#2 for my original comment.

It was in response to Beam's:

"Replacement Theology led to Anti-Semitism which led to the Holocaust."

While I do not agree with your observation there is still a world of difference between your statement, which is framed civilly, and his simplistic one.

#23 asterisktom, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  4. beameup

beameup Member

I find it very interesting how this image of the olive tree present by Paul is "plucked" out of the section of Romans
    to somehow "prove" that the "natural branches" have been completely and forever "cut off".

I find this disingenuous and no better than the techniques of Jehovah's Witness' or Mormons, that is, of building a vast doctrine from a single phrase.

For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree:
    how much more shall these, which be the natural [branches], be grafted [back] into their own olive tree?
    Romans 11:24

God doesn't often use so much "real estate" (as is the case in Romans 9-11) to get a point across.
    In this case, in Romans 11, the FINAL DISPOSITION of "real" Jews (genetic Israel).

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Darrell, I'm not using the term "scapegoat" in the biblical sense of Leviticus 16 but in the secular meaning.

Thanks for your input, someone is actually reading my blatherings.

HankD

6. beameup

beameup Member

Perhaps it might be of use to read some of the statements concerning Jews that were made by the Supersessionists.

Of note might be the statements of Luther that were later commented upon by Adolph Hitler?

7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with the purpose for this discussion board?