1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Support for Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gb93433, Jan 24, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The meaning of the Greek word ekklesia from Thayers, please note usage 1d4

1) a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
    1a) an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
    1b) the assembly of the Israelites
    1c) any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
    1d) in a Christian sense
    1d1) an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting
    1d2) a company of Christians, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake
    1d3) those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
    1d4) the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
    1d5) the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven

Matthew 16:18. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

John Gill’s commentary on the Church of Jesus Christ in this passage:

[/i]And upon this rock will I build my church[/i]: by the church, is meant, not an edifice of wood, stones, &c. but an assembly, and congregation of men; and that not of any sort; not a disorderly, tumultuous assembly, in which sense this word is sometimes taken;nor does it design the faithful of a family, which is sometimes the import of it; nor a particular congregated church, but the elect of God, the general assembly and church of the first born, whose names are written in heaven; and especially such of them as were to be gathered in, and built on Christ, from among the Jews and Gentiles.

Ephesians 1:22. And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

John Gill’s commentary on the Church of Jesus Christ in this passage:

And gave him to be the head over all things to the church; the Vulgate Latin version reads, "and gave him to be the head over every church", or "all the church"; the Ethiopic version, "the whole church"; which intends not barely professors of religion, or a family of faithful persons, or a particular congregation, in which sense the word is sometimes used; but the whole body of God's elect, the church, which is built on Christ the rock, for which he gave himself, and which is the general assembly and church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven: Christ is an head to this church; in what sense he is so, See Gill on "1Co 11:3". And this headship of Christ is the gift of God; and it is an honourable gift to him, as Mediator; it is a glorifying of him, and a giving him in all things the pre-eminence; and it is a free grace gift to the church, and a very special, valuable, and excellent one, and of infinite benefit and advantage to it; and which is expressed in his being head "over all things" to it; to overrule all things for its good; to communicate all good things to it; and to perform all the good offices of an head for it: the Syriac version reads, "and him who is above all things, he gave to be the head to the church" even him who is God over all, blessed for evermore.

DHK

I will have to accept John Gill's analysis of these Scripture rather than yours. The Church in Scripture can and does on occasion mean the total number of redeemed on earth.