1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Supralapsarianism or Infralapsarianism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by atpollard, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Christ was "foreknown" before the foundation of the world, God formulated His redemption plan before Adam was created.
    1 Peter 1:20

However, the next issue is did God's redemption plan designate the individuals to be redeemed, or was the designation corporate? Corporate because 1 Peter 2:9-10 says once we were not a people. Once we had not received mercy.

God causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass, thus God is not the author of sin. Those that claim God caused Adam to sin are presenting unbiblical bogus doctrine from the middle ages. God provided the opportunity for Adam to sin, and allowed Adam to sin, but Adam sinned on his own volition. That is the biblical doctrine.

As A. W. Pink so carefully demonstrated, God arranged for Adam to sin, but did not cause Adam to sin.

2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did more than "just allow" sin. God staged the setting to maximize the opportunity. God allowed external influences to encourage it. God placed temptation right in the face of Adam and Eve ... in the center of the garden.
    God allowed Satan into the Garden to speak with them, but withheld Gabriel from talking with them.

God created man "very good", but very good is not "perfect" so creating man with free will (as Adam and Eve had) was to create then TO FALL, because the very good could never be perfect and would need a Savior to PERFECT them. The Plan from before Day 0. [which I think is Supralapsarianism ... but it gives me a headache to think about it too hard. :) ]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was the Cross of Christ from before or after the fall?

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, as much as I ( initially ) didn't like the idea...
    Now, years later and after factoring in all the things that He both actively did and passively allowed, I've come to the conclusion that His purposes and plans are very, very intricate, my friend.
    Yep.
    Again, I agree.
    I agree with the first, but don't see mention made of Gabriel in Genesis.
    I understand the reasoning, and I agree, for the most part.
    I've never thought about that angle ( what I've underlined ), but it could very well be that you are correct.
    Meh...
    You'll sort it out, not to worry.;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I see that. You said:
    So how did God come to this knowledge ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Eternal aspect it was from the foundation Rev 13:8 in Purpose, but Christ actually died in time 33 ad after the fall. Why you ask me that ?

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was just curious as to how you saw that issue!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did a God that KNOWS EVERYTHING know what was going to happen? ... a lucky (omniscient) guess. ;)

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's put it this way...
    I'm not above Him putting it into a man's heart to do something.

But He does not tempt men to sin ( James 1:13-15 ).

He does search the hearts and minds, and He does know every thought and the intent of the heart.
    He does see the end from the beginning.

If you're asking me if I think that the Lord set everything up knowing we would fail, I would agree.
    If you're asking me if I think He caused Adam to disobey and eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, I would disagree.

In other words, He works all things after the counsel of His own will.

#109 Dave G, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  10. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the answer I'm looking for.

11. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is where we differ. I believe God knew because He purposed it in the first place.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I don't know if I'm being understood or not here.
    I see that He did indeed purpose it.

But in the context of James 1:13-15, God did not do the tempting, as He is righteous and holy.
    He only set things up knowing what would happen by allowing Satan to do the tempting and knowing that Adam would fall.

That said, I've stated my beliefs as closely as I can, pending further insight.
    I wish you well and this is my last reply in this thread.

May God bless you much in your studies.:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I believe that God knew what was going to happen with Adam in the garden because He purposed it to happen. He created Adam to fall on purpose, because the world was made for a Redemptive Purpose in Christ Jesus. All things including Adam were made for Christ Purpose Col 1:16

for by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe, before the foundation of the world, because of this verse: - he who is doing the sin, of the devil he is, because from the beginning the devil doth sin; for this was the Son of God manifested, that he may break up the works of the devil; 1 John 3:8 YLT, Adam was created so that, the Son of God, could be manifested as a man, the Word made flesh.

I also believe, before the foundation of the world, that man Adam was going to sin and bring the death to man, because of this verse: - Seeing, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, he himself also in like manner did take part of the same, that through death he might destroy him having the power of death -- that is, the devil -- Heb 2:14 YLT

Through Heb 2:14, 1 John 3:8 is accomplished.

1 Cor 15:26 YLT the last enemy is done away -- the (in the Greek) death;
    and the God of the peace shall bruise the Adversary under your feet, in (in the Greek) (quickness) quickly; the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen! Rom 16:20 YLT with what I added for correct understanding. In a moment in the twinkle of an eye - in quickness.

Supralapsarianism or Infralapsarianism? I don't know what that makes me. Would have to google those two words and ain't going to.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    percho

Agreed, Adam was made in line with a Eternal Redemptive Purpose centered in the Lord Jesus Christ

• Like Like x 1