1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Surface 3

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by JonC, Jun 13, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK....my 8 yr old Dell is merely limping along. It is gong to die very shortly (either on its own or with a little help). It's been a great computer, but now it is beyond repair.

I have considered a surface 3 (I no longer have an interest for games, photoshop, or anything like that). What I use the computer for is paying bills, balancing my checkbook (on Excel) and studying Scripture (using a wordsearch program)....and coming here to the BB.

Has anyone any experience with the surface 3? Maybe the surface pro, but I hesitate on spending very much on a personal computer (they are always poor investments). I like the idea of being portable, and I need office. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you go with the surface be sure to go somewhere and try the keyboards. They have one that is pretty iffy to me and another that is not bad. The surface is neat but a bit spendy for what it is.

I'd suggest going to best buy and see what else is available or at least snoop Amazon awhile and read some reviews.

Asus has the transformer series and I think HP has similar. I got the wife a Asus T100 and she likes it a bunch though that model is only a 32 gig solid state drive but it is great for her. The bigger drive units are available but the hard drive is not available when the tablet is separated from the base.

The smaller units are a little hard to use on some programs with the touch screens so you may like a Bluetooth mouse. E-sword for example is rather impossible without a mouse on a 10 inch touch screen - in my experience at least.

Windows 10 units should be showing up for sale very soon so you might wait a tad to avoid going through the upgrading process. The upgrade is available the end of July so they should be in the show room soon after that if not a little before.

Happy hunting!

PS Be sure what you buy has full windows on it - there are some units come with a version (RT) that will not run full windows programs.

#2 exscentric, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be sure it has at least the i5 or i7 processor with a live streaming video/audio capabilities in the wireless.

This is important if you plan on using it in a multimedia setting streaming without cables to a wifi or widi system. (Check out WiDi on the intel.com sight to see what is and is not compatible).

If you never plan on doing that, then perhaps consider something with AMD processing (6 core or better).

My AMD desktop will outperform my i3 HP laptop hands down.

SS drives are great, but be sure to back EVERYTHING up onto a storage drive, because SS drives can degrade.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you both. I'm leaning to a laptop instead of a 2 in 1 computer. I think that's the biggest bang for my buck (and I am too accustomed to dual monitors...I don't think I'd like using it as a tablet). Still deciding....my current one works with the lid closed on an external monitor....with a few glitches....and a bit dim....but it's hanging in there so I'm not too worried about getting one too soon. At least not today. :smilewinkgrin:

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tablets are great for surfing etc. but typing can be a real bore on the onscreen keyboard if you can really type. In fact I went to the big rig to respond the first time - drives me nuts doing more than a sentence or two on the tablet :)

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an RT model with the Type cover and have found it works pretty well. I used it extensively for word processing a while back when I was dialing in to the office. The USB port allowed me to hook up a wireless mouse, which made navigating much easier.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 3 looks intriguing, but the RT does most of what I need and my old Dell laptop does the rest. The Surface is a lot easier to lug around, and I admit I got spoiled to the touch screen after saying I would never use it.