1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SWBTS proposed chaplain changes mind

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jimmy C, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

I am not taking sides because I like or dislike a person. I take sides based on what I know the situation to be. If someone is being unjustly "persecuted" then I support them, whether I like them or not. If both sides are right or wrong then I try to mediate the situation.

I agree you have formed an opinion of Dr. C based upon your views of a school he works with and a personal friend of the president and not from first hand knowledge of the person or his beliefs. It is honorable for you to admit as much. You are giving your opinion and that's that.

Dr. C would leave SWBTS if he was forced. He would go to Carson N if God told him. Dr. C had several options of teaching and pastoring in the USA and overseas. He prayed about the issue and God told him to go to C-N. Why? I don't know. If C-N is such a unbiblical place then it would make sense for God to send Dr. C there to clean it up. I don't know.

Why did some person go to become president of SEBTS? If it was such a unbiblical place because of Lolley and others why go? Maybe to clean house.

That is the question. But, again, you prove my point. The situation can't be that Dr. C was fired because he wasn't liked by whomever. In order to make this firing look good one has to believe that Dr. C was heterodox. And no one, from either side, is publicly making such a claim. If personal friends are privately making such a claim then they'll have to back it up with facts.

The fact is that I do know what went on behind closed doors because I heard the situation directly from both sides. The two versions do not conflict.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was told by a former professor at SWBTS that when Crutchley arrived he would not stay long.

Isn't it amazing how SWBTS has been having such a turnover the past few years. If people don't stay long it tells you a lot about the leadership. That's just the way it is.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometime ask why the former registrar is not there.

4. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Interesting. Did this former professor give any specific reason why he thought so? I do know that Dr. C was made the Dean of the School of Theology during one of the school's more hectic periods. From what I understand he did a good job keeping the school together. He was offered tenure then but turned it down because he preferred to earn it. Quite ironic.

Anyway, I think its best that Dr. C is in a better situation. I hope he will find time to write books.

Well, I think the new administration would rather have its own people in important positions. I understand. I disagree but I understand.

People have been asked to leave and others have left without being asked.

With regards to the "proposed chaplain" ... No one yet has come forth with any information other than what SWBTS has said. We can speculate but nothing more. Let's just pray for the chaplains situation and for his family, friends and church.

5. RandR

RandR New Member

It is standard throughout academia for there to be cabinet level changes at the institution in the first years of a new presidency. Not really all that newsworthy of a topic.

6. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

And if "cabinet level" changes were all that were occruing then people would probably not much care. There have been many cabinet level changes and no one appears to be too concerned about them. What people are concerned about are the non-cabinet level changes.

But you raise a good point. Maybe all Christian institutions behave this way. Maybe Christian institutions behave the same way as secular institutions and businesses behave. Maybe I am naive and too idealistic in hoping that believers who do business would behave differently than the world. You heard it hear first.