1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Swimwear

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Unfortunately, this man died when he attempted to jump on a diving board, was struck in the head by his medallion, fell in the pool and drowned. Life guards attempted to save him, but could not pull him to the surface.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe the necklace acted as an anchor...or they couldn't see him through the grease and oil film on the pool...or his body hair acted as a sponge?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I know hubby loves me and desires me - and that he will be honest in the area of modesty. He's careful about fashion sense and the "Does this make me look fat" kind of questions but with modesty, he'll comfortably say "Too much _____ showing". He's great that way!! But then I also have my young adult daughters as well. LOL

NEVER!!!!!! :D

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - After seeing that last picture, I must go disinfect my eyes.....

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Too late for disinfectant for me. My retinas have been burned. >.<

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

So thong bikini's are "modest apparel"? Surely you jest!

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha, Ha, Ha..... I have dogs with less hair! Hope he doesnt work in the food industry LOL :laugh:

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??????? What??

The passages you listed are not about women's physical clothing. That does not mean that men and women both are not to be watchful of what they wear.

If a woman is "wearing" the "modest apparel" of "shamefacedness, sobriety, good works, and professing godliness that Paul is talking about in the first passage and behaving with chaste conduct and meekness (Christ-likeness) from the second passage, then she will not be wearing inappropriate clothing.

The heart, mind of Christ, and these characteristics of the Christian woman will take care of her attitude towards her clothing.

9. OldRegular

Ma-am! You are reading what you want into the Scripture I posted.

1 Timothy 2:7-12
    7. Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
    8. I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
    9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    10. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    11. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

The Apostle Paul is talking about how women should dress: that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; That is obvious in the latter part of the sentence: not with.....But with good works.[/i]

Now consider the Apostle Peter:

1 Peter 3:1-7
    1. Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
    2. While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
    3. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
    4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
    5. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
    6. Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
    7. Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Note please: Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Ma-am! What Peter and Paul are saying is really very straightforward! And you can't tell me that thong bikinis or bikinis are modest apparel, whether worn by men or women! Those stretch shorts that some men wear [Note the picture of the man posted.] are a disgrace!

I asked the question earlier: What has changed in the last 100 years? Women and men did not think they had to go to the beach, not semi nude but 90+% nude back then. Again note the picture of the man posted.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Absolutely amazing the twists and turns of these "debates".

From what I've read, nothing in Scarlet's posts indicated that she approved, endorced, condoned (whatever word best fits) the absolute minimum amount of fabric that can legally be worn on most beaches by either men or women.

A FWIW.......................

Going back a 100 years (approx) yields this:
    http://www.victoriana.com/library/Beach/image/1915_swimsuits.jpg

or this:
    http://www.victoriana.com/library/Beach/image/1900_swimsuits.jpg

History of the Bathing Suit
    http://www.victoriana.com/library/Beach/FashionableBathingSuits.htm

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, brother, I do not know what you are reading into my posts, but it isn't what I was saying. :laugh:

And that can only be my fault.

Let me start over. :type:

I can't stand skimpy swimsuits - on anyone. And yes, there can be some skimpy one-pieces and skimpy men's trunks. I don't like skirts that are higher than 2-inches above the knee. I don't want to see anyone's armpit. I cringe at tight pants on anyone - man, woman, boy, or girl. I despise indecent clothing - period. There is no justification for it and I was not justifying small amounts of clothing.

Here's what I was saying.

The passages that you cited don't reference a woman's clothing in terms of covering her up vs. exposing her flesh. It's quite impossible for that passage to be referencing her literal clothing because in Paul's day - when he wrote this - ALL woman wore long and loose garments that covered their entire body leaving only their hands and faces exposed. Even prostitutes wore robes. They distinguished themselve from decent women many time by shaving their heads or wearing much ostentatious jewelry.

The passage you cited says that women are to dress in modest apparel - as opposed to what? What was the Apostle Paul claiming to be IMmodest? Her flesh exposed? It couldn't be that if all women from grandmothers to prostitutes were already completely covered.

CERTAINLY exposing the flesh is immodest and perhaps we can find scriptures that reference literal clothing. But Paul was talking in that passages that you cited was spiritual principles.

That whole chapter is on spirituality and lofty things.

He says that women are to dress in modest apparel as opposed to "braided hair, expensive clothes, and much jewelry." Those fancy and costly types of clothing did and STILL do draw attention to one's wealth, one's social status, and were and STILL are such horrible ways to judge the value of a woman.

Women's AND men's clothing styles have changed dramatically since Paul's day, but the way that we judge people by the cost of their clothes and display of their jewels is STILL a problem.

Paul says that women are to "clothe" themselves much more modestly. He says that they should be clothed in (a) shamefacedness (decency and respect towards others), (b) sobriety (self-control), (c) professing godliness (live like you are the only Jesus people will ever see) and (d) good works (chaste conduct and obedient to God.)

Yes, indecent clothing is wrong. It's very wrong. I just feel like we are straining at a gnat, here. When a woman is controlled by the Spirit and "clothes" herself as Paul said, she won't have any desire to dress in a dreadful or inappropriate manner.

12. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

That swimwear on the original post is ridiculously hideous.

There's a difference between teaching your kids modesty and making them targets for their peers. :BangHead:

If you don't like the current swimwear, have the kids/spouse go in cutoffs and a dark t-shirt. Much better than that 1920's era swimwear.

13. OldRegular

I have asked the question several times: What has changed in the last 100 years ago? At that time the swim suits referenced in the OP may well have been considered indecent!

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Did you look at the links I posted on swim suits that were worn approximately 100 years ago?

You have to go back further in time to the Victorian era to see what I believe you are suggesting that women should wear while wading in the water. That's because with all that wool and bloomers, there's no way they could actually swim more than a few strokes.

Another FWIW.......

At the ocean beach, river sandbar, farm pond, or other swimming hole, it's easy to tell the difference between women who are modestly dressed for swimming and those who's interest lies in attracting attention of others. That's no different from any other situation where people gather, whether it's the grocery store or Sunday morning worship.

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Unfortunately, some Christians try to put an unnecessary burden on believers with excessive do's and don't's. Peter tried that by telling the Gentiles that they had to be circumcised, but Paul let Peter know that it wasn't necessary.

I knew a man who thought any game that used cards was a sin. A female cousin back in the 60's thought that drinking coffee, watching TV, or her kids reading comic books were sinful. Today I might agree with some of that, but that was 50 years ago!

Did the Christians in Jesus' day go swimming, and what did they wear when clothes were scarce? How about when they were baptized? Did they wear their only set of clothes to be baptized and then wear those wet clothes?

The commandment in scripture about women dressing modestly had little to do with how much they wore as much as WHAT they wore. Specifically mentioned is how they wore their hair, and the wearing of jewelry to entice men. Yes, some types of clothing are very immodest and meant for the purpose of enticing and arousing men. I believe that wearing such clothing would be sinful. There are even clothes for little girls with things like "Hotty" on them. What parent with a functioning brain would put something like that on their little girl. Pedophiles don't need any encouragement to single out your little girl for their perverted desires.

A lot of women's swimwear these days leave little to the imagination. It seems that guys have returned to long, heavy shorts that hold at least 10 pounds of water and must be very uncomfortable to wear. The more clothing you wear in the water, the more water it will hold.

#75 Jon-Marc, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012