1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Symbolism of the Fig Tree

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see any relation between the fig leaves being used for covering in Genesis and the withering fig tree in the New Testament? What would you say about someone calling the tree of good and evil/knowledge a fig tree?

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I don't know that the fig leaves in Genesis represent anything but the fig tree as used in the New Testament always symbolizes the nation of Israel.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could be the area in the world, too. If the Bible were written where I live, it would be pine trees and needles (that would have been punishment enough for Adam and Eve to cover themselves up with :D)

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Interesting observation, Ben. The fig tree represents Israel NATIONALLY or PHYSICALLY (vs. olive RELIGIOUS or vine SPIRITUAL Israel). It may have been prophetic as was "wheat" vs. "tares." You know, most don't see it but the "sower" in Mt 13 was trying to plant "wheat" but we never find that out until the 5th parable.

Add to that that Jesus asked the "servants" to "dig and dung" the fig tree and He would come back -- when He came back He cursed it and it died -- then in Mt 24, to the dismay of the disciples, it revives.

Perhaps it is showing that God's people one day would come back as a sinful nation first and then be forgiven by God/Messiah.

See, these are the kind of things to be prayed over and meditated on because most things in scripture are not coicidental.

skypair

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sense in which I have observed other's comparison of the fig leaf and tree being espoused is not about eschatological issues or in regards to national Israel in nature, but to support a “prosperity theology” which concludes “powers of agreement” and warnings of “withering faith.”

The tree of knowledge is being referred to as a fig tree and that when Adam and Eve opened their eyes and knew they were naked they then used the fig leaves off that tree to cover their selves in that knowledge (and gained power.) Also, that the withering fig tree is the only tree Christ ever cursed (for not bearing fruit) and then He remarked about having enough faith to cast a mountain into the sea.

This is almost too weird to try to explain, but if I am understanding this correctly, it is being said that Christ cursed the withering fig tree (saying, may you never bear fruit again) and this somehow relates to the words that every man is cursed that is hung to a tree. Adam was told not to eat from the tree, but he was not told “do not touch it” and it was afterwards that he named Eve. They were to use the knowledge for coverage and IOW’s if they had this “agreement” they would be empowered in knowledge. The fig tree signifies knowledge in Christ to take up a covering and power by that knowledge.

To the contrary, I think having knowledge of good and evil naturally casts our judgment against God’s and if anything it signifies “disagreement” in judgment, or going against God’s will in disobedience, which lead to man’s sinful fall and being cast out of the garden. I think all this tree business is based on a lot of eisegesis to support a “prosperity doctrine” which is dangerously opposed to surrendering to God’s judgment and grace.

#5 Benjamin, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

An interesting thing that I had observed was while I was watching an episode of "Future Weapons". The host Richard Machowicz, was in Israel testing a new Israeli assault rifle. The Israeli officer that was assisting him was in uniform. On each shoulder was a fig leaf. It blew my mind. Here is an Israeli secular government using the fig leaf as a military insignia. Wow!