1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Syndicator Dismisses Coulter Plagiarism Charges

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NEW YORK — The syndicator of Ann Coulter's newspaper columns rejected allegations that she had lifted material from other sources, saying a review of the work in question turned up nothing that merited concern.
    "There are only so many ways you can rewrite a fact and minimal matching text is not plagiarism," Lee Salem, editor and president of Universal Press Syndicate, said Monday in a statement.
    "Universal Press Syndicate is confident in the ability of Ms. Coulter, an attorney and frequent media target, to know when to make attribution and when not to."
    The New York Post and the Web sites Raw Story and the Rude Pundit have cited numerous passages in Coulter's syndicated columns and in her current book, "Godless," that appeared to resemble text from other sources. The Post relied upon a software program, iThenticate, designed to catch plagiarism.
    Last week, the Crown Publishing Group, which released "Godless," also dismissed questions about Coulter's work, calling them "as trivial and meritless as they are irresponsible."
    Coulter, a conservative known for her harsh rhetoric — she labeled four 9-11 widows "harpies" who exploited their husbands' deaths — has also written the best sellers "Treason" and "Slander." Her columns appear in more than 100 newspapers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202869,00.html

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I was accused of plagiarism once when I was doing talk radio. I was talking about the WTC coming down and pointed out that you don't have to melt the metal, you only have to destroy the structural integrity of it. I was accused of "lifting" that quote from some source, I don't remember what, but I did admit that it was what I was taught in my advanced firefighting school when I was in the Navy back in the 80's. So, I guess I was guilty of "stating a fact and minimal matching" my instructor.

If you're restating a fact, whether it's two words or two pages, there will be similarities, no matter what.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Even Kos agreed.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does not matter whether she is guilty of plagiarism or not. The hardcore, attackers on the left don't care about the facts. She was accused, and they will continue to accuse her of that even "if" it is proven 100% that she is not guilty of plagiarism. Of course Coulter, since she is a hardcore, attacker on the right, would do the same to someone on the left. So I guess they both deserve each other...:laugh:

5. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

It doesn't matter a whit to me whether or not Ann Coulter is guilty of plagiarism. What does matter to me is that she is a slanderer and a hatemonger of the worse sort who promotes an ugly version of American fascism.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately for us all, Ann Coulter is just like the people she goes after, who slander and hatemonger from the other side. She is shrill, arrogant, and a loudmouth. She is also often correct, from the very little that I have heard from her.

It would be great if we could do away with her and the people she writes about and talks about. We would all be better off.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

2slander n [ME sclaundre, slaundre, fr. OF esclandre, fr. LL scandalum stumbling block, offense] : a false report maliciously uttered and tending to injure the reputation of a person — slan•der•ous adj
    (c)2000 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved

Care to back up the accusation of slander with proof?

"Hatemonger" is subjective; slander isn't.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Sure. People on teh left say that Republicans tried to take food off of children's tables. They say that Bush lied to get us into war. They say that Republicans are hateful towards minorities. They say that Republicans are against the poor. I could list more of these kinds of statements than you would read or than this board would allow in a single post.

You know very well that some on the left are just as guilty of slander and hatemongering as Ann Coulter.

Why don't you like it when someone tells the truth like I did? Surely you don't think everyone on the left is perfect, do you? This was an easy question.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

You say that Coulter is a hateful slanderer, but so are some on the left? The difference is that I don't see those pudits regularly posted and lauded here.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't see Ann Coulter regularly lauded here, but I don't read this forum much anymore so that may be why.

But that wasn't germane to my point. Those politicians, pundits, and hacks on the left that Coulter addresses are regularly lauded in places that matter like the mainstream press. My only point is to remind people that people on the left are just like Coulter and it is unacceptable from all of them.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Larry, I was simply saying that I haven't seen slander, only opinion. Slander would be, "She had a love-child with so-and-so." Having the opinion that they're trying to take food off the table is opinion. Since taxing for welfare handouts is illegal, I have the opinion that welfare does take food out of my child's mouth. They force me to give money to someone too lazy to work, and as such, that's less that I have to spend on my family.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have seen and heard slander. The charge of taking food off the table is an old one that has had several evolutions, from the days of Reagan and school lunch programs right on through. It was a slanderous charge presented as fact. They did not say "I think ..." or "I believe ... " They said, "They are ..." And that was a slanderous charge.

There are many of these kinds of charges floating around. And they should all stop.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Probably.

It was germane to my point. Which politicians does she address?

That there is slander. You didn't say "some people on the left". We aren't all like that - not nearly.

Coulter does the same thing you just did - she slanders Democrats and liberals as a whole, rather than always picking specific people to tell tales about.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Actually, I did say "some," and continued my thoughts from that post. Please take my comments in the context of the whole thread, rather than just picking or choosing little parts of it. I am not going to add every possible disclaimer in order to avoid what should have never been construed in the first place.

I saw here for about 90 seconds last night on Donny Deutsch (which as about 89 seconds more than I could stand), and she was addressing John Kerry. I believe she has also addressed Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, and other politicians as well.