1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T Boone (Retirement NOT an Option)

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    T. Boone Pickins, Herold Leviton, Forrest Mars, My Father-In-Law are a caliber of men I love. You generally can sit down, have a beer with them & discuss politics, sports, business etc & you always walk away richer (you have been taught something) for knowing them.

T. Boone, in this attachment I got from LinkedIn, discusses retirement. Its funny but i have a strong feeling that many of those monkeys in the White House & other parts of government are inclined to be envious of this caliber of men.....not asking themselves, of course, why they have more than themselves & what industry, intelligence & sleepless ambition produced the wealth in the 1st place. So with out further ado.....

Today is my 85th birthday. Before you go congratulating me, let me tell you two things. First of all, I don’t feel 85. Secondly, I’m not about to start acting like I’m 85 either. Here’s why.

In 1996, I left Mesa Petroleum, the company I had founded 40 years before. I was 68. The very next day, I opened a new office – BP Capital – and I took on new challenges. It was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. So many of my friends and peers, once they hit 65, they didn't stay active or engaged. Sad to say but they didn't stay around long either. I took that lesson to heart.

To me, retirement not an option. It’s the beginning of the end. A few days ago, a reporter from the Tulsa World asked me when I was planning on calling it quits. “I will go out of here in a box is the way that I will retire,” is how I responded. I like to work. I really do enjoy it. I like to make money, and I like to give it away. My charitable gifts are now approaching my net worth. That’s an accomplishment I am proud of.

On my calendar for May 22, I’ve got travel, business meetings, and a dinner with close friends. If I were back in Dallas, I promise you the day would have started at 6:30. That’s when my personal trainer shows up.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Pickens is a Christian. He knows there is nothing in the Bible about retirement. I intend to go out the same way.