1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T.u.l.i.p

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Aug 18, 2010.

?
  1. Total Depravity

52 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Unconditional Election

44 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Limited atonement

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  4. Irresistible Grace

41 vote(s)
    60.3%
  5. Perseverance of the Saints

57 vote(s)
    83.8%
  6. I believe in 6 or more of the 5 points

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. I do not accept any points of TULIP

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I am more than reformed, I am a Christian. However, there is nothing wrong with describing my theology. Why?

I hope you are more than an antagonist who tries to just nit pick arguments without ever making a valid point.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are a serious student of the word I would find it hard to believe that you would agree with the politicians of the reformed movement. They are politicians and nothing more. Those who study well are seldom involved with the ignorant.

It is fun to antagonize those who claim God is sovereign and then back out of interpreting passages such as 1 Sam 16. I find that rather shallow of those who do such things and claim to believe in God's sovereignty and yet shy away from thinking that could have anything to do with evil.

#82 gb93433, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So what about 1 Samuel 16?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Politicians??? Friend, I know several of them personally. I have dined with them, I have called them up in the middle of the night and cried on their shoulder. I have been cared by them.

I find your comments nothing more than ignorance in full throttle.

Instead of attacking people, why not address issues.

So, tell me once again, how many of our books have you studied and which seminaries of ours have you studied in?

You seem to never want to answer my questions. You merely engage in irrational straw man and ad hominem argumentation. Which says more about you than about us.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also...wait for the comment about "making disciples."

7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

The Spirit and life in the words of Jesus, it is what regenerates us changes us without it no change. So by rejected it we reject the Spirit and life.

8. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Probably a typo!

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was pre-destined - without any assurance :smilewinkgrin:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mormons have some of the finest benevolence programs? So what is the difference?

What did you just do. Attack me?

Why should I study a counterfeit? People who look at counterfeit money know what the genuine looks like. You do not need to study a counterfeit to recognize one. The proof of our faith is in what we do and how we live. Just because you are a part of a movement means absolutely nothing. It is like someone saying, "I am a Jew therefore I am going to heaven."

Shall I call you an "it" instead? I thought that people led movements. So how do you debate a movement without debating the people involved? I asked you about the passage from 1 Sam 16 and all I got was a bunch of wordiness. Where did you ever interpret that passage? For the third time I will ask you in a different way about your theology of evil and God from 1 Sam 16. When will you give me an answer to the theology of God and evil from that passage. If you are not sure or are unable, at least have the humility to say so.

I have spent countless numbers of hours helping people that have come to me stifled and stranded by people in your movement. They have stopped praying and doing evangelism. They have gotten to the point where they do not even know what it is to have a relationship with God. They are confused. It is like they have a noose around their neck.

I only have so many hours in a day. Why would I care to study men when my Bible says to focus on Jesus the author and perfecter of faith. I will study scripture so I have answer to give to people who ask rather than some book written by a man in support of a movement. Movements come and go and I will eventually die but I want to spend my time on this earth doing things that matter for eternity not reading about a movement and being led by the latest guru. Scripture gives em the answers I need. Studying scripture is studying the truth God has reveal to man. studying man is studying what man thinks about God. Studying the Bible reveals what God says about himself and man. I do not need to study the pope to lead Catholics to Jesus.

The argument is not about you or me. You can find lots wrong about me. I am not God. James engaged in straw man arguments too. Is there anything wrong with that? What questions did you have that I did not answer?

The easily misled and young listen to people, but the older want proof.

#90 gb93433, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I must say gb that you have given the exact same answer I would have. I get so tired of somebody trying to classify us in a modern group based on someone who lived within the last few centuries and not in the 1st or 2nd century (or possibly 3rd) as the actual coming of Christ and his ministry was just getting its roots. Good one, gb.

12. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. I am not sure what you want exactly, or how you think this passage is so damaging to Calvinists, but here it is:

14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the LORD troubled him. 15 And Saul’s servants said to him, “Surely, a distressing spirit from God is troubling you. 16 Let our master now command your servants, who are before you, to seek out a man who is a skillful player on the harp. And it shall be that he will play it with his hand when the distressing spirit from God is upon you, and you shall be well.”

What is the controversy? That Saul, having felt the Spirit's influence, nevertheless turned from God? You need to be more specific if you want specific answers.

Some thoughts on this passage that may or may not be what you are looking for:
    1. The Spirit breathes where He wishes.
    2. Let every man take heed how he hears.
    3. God has the right, as a potter does over the clay, to make whatever kind of vessel He wants out of us.

Your thoughts, gb?

13. Jeffriesw

Jeffriesw New Member

Have you always been this rude and arrogant all your life, our do you think you eventually grow out of it?

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I concur asterisktom, even though I am not in the reformed camp.

15. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Historian Richard Muller addresses what is "Calvinism" and how it relates to Calvin's own beliefs in a lecture here.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps you need to read the gospels better and take a look at the masculine side of Jesus and see what he did.

17. Jeffriesw

Jeffriesw New Member

I have read the Gospels a time or two, and I agree, The Lord had a masculine side and set a the ultimate example for us to follow.

But again, I don't see where that has many bearing on your rudeness..

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CONGRATULATIONS, you are the first one on BB who I've ever seen add the word "Humble" to IMO ...in this case IMHO (per you)

Have a great Sabbath!

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Read more closely. I said, "SAYING you believe the Bible is a cop out."

Follow this:

"Do you believe in the vicarious death of Christ?"

"NO!!! BLESS GOD THOSE ARE MAN MADE TERMS!!! I BELIEVE THE BIBLE!!

See how stupid that is?

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Mathematicians are often guilty of redundancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.