1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T.V. Commercial: United Church of Christ

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Honestly, no more than other sins such as gossip, drunkenness, lying, or premarital sex. God can't stand any of those sins, and hopefully, by the grace of God, neither can I.

But homosexuals do not make me sick to my stomach.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't think of all that Diane, your right, they show churches turning away people for color or physical condition, not just sin.
    Scott, the very same people who go and welcome anyother visitors in our church would shakehands with and welcome those 3 women. They would be treated no differently then anyother visitors. Thats what loving people is all about. We don't have to approve of sin to love them. For epople like the 3 women it could amke all the difference on their wanting to be exposed to the gospel and God's people.

I do agree, one sin is like another to God, He can't stand any of them. If one sin disgust us, so should all the others, including the ones we do ourselves.

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Honestly, no more than other sins such as gossip, drunkenness, lying, or premarital sex. God can't stand any of those sins, and hopefully, by the grace of God, neither can I.

</font>[/QUOTE]Hello ScottEmerson

What’s wrong with premarital sex? One’s virgin automatically becomes that one’s wife upon copulation. Do we understand that a piece of paper, or some formal words must be said for a marriage? Become one and multiply He said. He made sex to be wonderful for both man and women, upon marriage. These two that are one can then enjoy each other’s body, loving it, as we are one body.

If one has normal sex with one that is not a virgin then that one commits fornication, and the woman adultery.

Homosexuality will not hold up in the Court of God. They will be judged according to their deeds. His grace does not allow this practice, for one of this type will never accept Jesus Christ into their heart where Satan resides. But there is hope, for Jesus Christ can fill that heart, pushing Satan aside. The Homosexual then will no longer say, “I got my rights, and I am my own, and I can stand on my own.” Pride in self.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Homosexual sin doesn't disgust me any more then the sin having the government kill minors, and the mentaly ill and calling it punishment or anymore then the sin of creating a budget that cuts programs of health care and education for the poorest of our society or anymore then the sin of calling one of God's children disgusting.

You may not know of any churches that would turn away homosexuals, but when an entire denomination thinks it is necessary to have a vote announcing the "evils" of homosexuality, I think the word will somehow will get around.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Great posts by Scott Emerson!

If prostitutes and homosexual seekers can find Christ in your church, the ad isn't referring to you. The conviction of their sin is something the Holy Spirit will do along with our humble assistance as fellow sinners pointing out scripture. If we are unwelcoming to them, we interfere with giving them a chance to see Christ and know the scriptures to be convicted of their sin.

However, it is a sad truth that many churches are much more vocal and unwelcoming of seekers unrepentant of sexual sins than those of other types of sins like slander, gossip, violence and greed.

6. ScottEmerson

That's great, Donna. Unfortunately, in all the churches that I've seen, yours is among the minority.

7. ScottEmerson

Ooh... Good call. I'm waiting for a vote announcing the "evils" of gossip from the SBC.

8. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Yes, I saw the commercial many times, back when I was sharing an apartment with another girl--she had a TV. Now I'm without TV. :eek:

It was very offensive, yes. The first time I saw it I wasn't even paying attention so I didn't realize . . .

But, yes, disgusting.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, Jesus didn't turn anyone away...but He also said, "GO AND SIN NO MORE!"

10. ScottEmerson

But only after they came in the first place.

11. chandler

chandler New Member

The onen thing that has seperated evangelical protestantism and the cahtolic church was the idea of incluseiveness.. that is sinners and saints all under one roof happily ever after ie the catholic church. Now it seems that evangelical protestantism is no different. Even in baptist churches... we may not practice infant baptistm but we get pretty close! I believe tha we as churches must be more careful who joins our churches and enters the baptismal waters.. and ole saying goes like this "Methodists are sure about being saved but believe they can lose, Baptist are n't sure they are but believe they will never lose it." This statement sheds light on the terrible job we as baptist have done over the years... I myself as a minister have seen and dealt with these issues before. Sorry about the rant but it is disturbing.

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wouldn't want to go to a perfect church where there were no sinners, because I would ruin it.

13. Brandon Tallman

Brandon Tallman New Member

Not only does it celebrate and endorse sin,it is taking a shot directly at the entire body of CHRIST!And doing it in Christ name.

14. ScottEmerson

They may be taking a shot, but are they really THAT far off of the mark?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It does not look good for God's Church on Earth.

16. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

A larger percentage than if a few well dressed visitors sat in the same place. That always puzzles me, I think it must be an overreaction to the instructions of Jesus and James on not treating the lowly worse than others.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

</font>[/QUOTE]Wow, you're just like God.

Well, actually not.

I think He has stronger words for homoosexuals than gossips.

Are we actually to believe that you, in all your holiness, are as repulsed by a jaywalker as by a rapist?

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Any woman who marries a man just because he has money or prestige and not out of love is a prostitute, in my opinion. Our larger churches have more than three.

19. Pennsylvania Jim

Wow, now that's an interesting one. Federal budget cuts for education are as big a sin as homosexuality. Surely you are joking.

Would you recomment that they not mention it, and lovingly allow homosexuals to die unrepentant and spend an eternity in Hell?

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If we don't show them the error of their ways, are we not guilty of complicity?