1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T.V. Shows that degrade men

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm really disgusted with the t.v. shows that show overweight and 'dumb' men who are terrorized and mistreated by beautiful wives.

According to Jim
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Listen Up
    King of Queens

and then there are the commercials! The guy buys a new truck while picking up a piece of bedroom furniture. She almost calls him a horrible name...

The bosses on MANY shows are now women who talk down to men.

I think this is teaching our daughters and sons that men are just a big joke.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Diane

2. Elnora

Elnora New Member

They are of the world view, why watch it. I rarely watch tv because not much good comes of it, but I saw a fantastic show last night on TLC. I think it was Called something like "Fourteen Children and pregnant again" It was a Christian couple and what a beautiful example they were. Loved it! Loved it! [​IMG]

3. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I agree, Diane, it is horrible the way they show men these days as blubbering idiots who can't make good decisions for their family and don't know how to discipline their children!

Also on this list would be Still Standing....

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Diane, you need to start watching quality shows like Star Trek: Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica. [​IMG]

Seriously, my favorite sitcom shows are the George Lopez show and Reba. I don't watch any other sitcoms (do reruns of All in the Family and I Love Lucy count?). I must admit to watching Boston Legal, but please don't tell anyone. I'm waiting anxiously for thre return of Alias. The only other show I watch religiously is the West Wing.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

George Lopez and Still Standing are also good examples of shows that make men out as 'blubbering idiots'... and the way the children talk to their father is so uncalled for!

I am SO very insulted for men and do not allow Nick to see any of these shows.

I love CSI's, Cold Case, Joan of Arcadia, Without a Trace, NCIS and the new Medical Mystery show that has a name that eludes me right now.

Most hated show? 2 1/2 men!

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I disagree. I think that the George Lopez show is anything but. He's thoughtful, caring, and he's respected by his wife and kids. He's also imperfect, makes mistakes, and learns from that. Give me George Lopwz over Mike Brady any way. At least the Lopez house has toilets in their bathrooms.

Oh, I forgot CSI. How could I forget my "other" fav, CSI?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is that Medical Investigation?

8. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

ooh, I LOVE Medical Investigation!!!! It's my fav. new show of the year....

9. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Me too!!! Me too!!! I love this show!!

10. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

By the way...I would have to agree with you on every point Diane!! Seeing the way men are treated on TV shows and in real life makes me appreciate my hubby even more and it makes me want to strive even more to be a good example to other wives on how to treat their husbands.

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

But what about the shows that categorize women? I haven't seen an episode, but I hear "Desperate Housewives" could just as easily be called "Desparate to Get Out of Their Clothes." I think that a large number of TV shows are simply degrading to the entire human race. And almost all the "reality" shows are disgusting. And, sorry, "Medical Investigation" doesn't do a thing for me. Guess I'll stick with "CSI" and its offspring.

12. Brett

Brett New Member

24 starts in January...

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Is that Medical Investigation? </font>[/QUOTE]Oh YES! Very interesting and fast moving!

JohnV... I disagree about George Lopez. The whole show is done LOUD and George is lied to by his wife and family and constantly put down by his mother. He was NOT a stand up Dad when Carmen ran away with some guy either. His wife is better educated, has parents that are both doctor's and George doesn't even know who his father is. His kids are always talking back to him. Not the worst of the list... but still on my list.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I thought of this today shopping. And I think basically these men on these shows are not good husbands, who appear to dislike their wives, who are usually bad fathers.
    What we really hate is the kids on tv, commercials and movies. Usually smart mouths, controling and demanding, and very much in charge of the home.
    I hope neither of these are what real people are like.

15. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

I have only seen one of those shows at any length and from what I saw i generally agree but even worse than teaching a disrespect of persons they also teach disrespect of God.

Our general rule is that if the show has its supposedly good characters constantly take the Lord's name in vain we don't watch it.

So we don't watch many sit-coms

One time we watched "Fraiser" and it a matter of about 3 minutes we counted God's name taken in vain more than 6 times.

Next time you watch a show count the number of times it happens, if you find a sit-com that doesn't do this let me know, so I can also try to enjoy watching it.

God Bless

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

BornAgainCatholic, we have a t.v. Guardian which blocks out any cuss words or even simple words like prick (the porcupine might prick your finger if you get too close!), sex and cock-a-doodle-do. You can set it to block out Jesus and God but then they has to be changed when you're watching a Christian video or preacher. [​IMG]

When we first got the Guardian, I had Nick in the tub and Third Rock from the Sun came on. I kept hearing the t.v. go silent and thought it was broken! I was shocked at the cussing on that show and Frasier! We had become hardened to the filth that is fed into our heads and hearts every day.

Diane

[ November 06, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

17. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

Never heard of Tv Guardian , I love it where can I get one?

I probably still not watch the shows that have to be blocked, but even watching nice shows, sports etc it is so hard to protect against those commercials.

Thanks Diane

18. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

How about the Verizon commercial where the dad is a complete reject by the family. I hate that commercial. I will never buy anything from Verizon.

19. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Remember all the respect we all had for Ward Cleaver?