1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T2 diabetes thread

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by evenifigoalone, Mar 17, 2020.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't want to keep using my thread in the prayer forum

So, to recap: I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago. I've since begun working on changing my diet, exercising more, taking medications, and signed up for diabetic education classes

So this is a big life change for me, and I may need to write things down as part of processing sometimes. Hence this thread. Anyone else is welcome to post about their diabetic journeys as well

Here is a picture of the bag I carry my meter and supplies in, isn't it cute:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck on your journey. As you know, Diabetes is a progressive disease, so you can reach your blood sugar goals with initial meds and diet changes, but in years to come, more meds and more diet restrictions are forcast. I have had type 2 for more than 20 years, and I am still on oral meds (no shots in the tummy for me yet) but I am close to being maxed out. For me, less starches and more salads helped greatly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the novelty of all this has worn off, and it's getting harder to stick to my new tasks and diet. Also, I'm broke right now and have run out of several of the diabetic friendly foods I was eating for meals and snacks.
    I need to get better at meal planning, like actually make a list of the stuff I want to make & buy what I need for those meals.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These may help you (see the playlists):

Link To Health

5. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So my work is offering a thank you bonus to all associates who work over 10 hours rn, and the bonus hit my account today. I used that to buy myself more food.

I also re-applied for food stamps. Hope I get them.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got a whopping $16 in foodstamps. sjdjkvsdnvjkds The thing is, this month was higher than normal income for me due to the virus.....so I'll try updating them on my normal income at a later date.

7. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had to ask for further accommodations at work. Won't go into details on this one, it involves a new symptom I've been getting.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  8. Hannahande

Hannahande Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God bless you. Be strong and stay healthy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So last week I had some lab work done again, and my dr called me today to tell me that my A1C went from 8.7 in Feb to 6.2! I feel accomplished, aha.
    My cholesterol levels also went down to or below their goals.

• Like Like x 4
  10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, anything below 7.0 takes you out of "the danger zone," and 5.0 is ideal. :)

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can’t let up. The disease can take your sight but also other medical problems such as skin rashes, yeast infections, joints that freeze up, infections that won’t heal, lost circulation to extremities that lead to removal of toes and feet and legs.

Stay motivated

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those numbers vary by age. 5.0 is normal for the average youth or young adult.. It is not a target number for a person who is actually diabetic. Problem is the A1c is an average. If you consistently test 5.0 it means your glucose levels are often going under 70. Lows can be dangerous. Basically if you can hit a target that low, your doctor will take you off medications and let you control it with diet and exercise alone. With no medications even a well controlled diabetic (not a prediabetic) is very unlikely to be able to keep it that low.

Goals are age related. For one, a twenty year older is likely to have to survive 50 or 60 years of ever increasing insulin resistance. A 60 year older is likely to only face 15 to 25 years of increasing problems. Also older adults have more problems keeping up with their carbohydrate intake vs. activity level. Better to let it run higher than to try to tightly control glucose and increase the risk of lows. For example an 80 yr. Is likely to have a target of 7.0 but a 30 yr. will be given a 6.0 target.

Now also take into consideration, these target numbers in general get updated probably every two years. It is hard to stay up to date on this subject. It is always changing.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

14. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    My A1C has been hanging around 6.1 the last few months. They're testing it every 3 months right now, and the next testing will be in December.
    It's getting harder and harder to stick to a strict diet. Even so, my A1C, so far, has not gone back up. Yet. We'll see in a couple weeks.

Did I mention my mom also has diabetes? She got diagnosed a few months after me. She's in her 50's. I'm 27.

15. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you getting monthly Emergency Allotments, now to supplement the $16.00? Have you asked your primary doctor if the local hospital has a food pantry that you qualify for?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, now in addition to the $16 I've been getting $188.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    AWESOME :Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  18. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully my workplace has been super accomodating to me. They made me sit down for a bit one day when I was feeling lightheaded, and they let me go check my blood sugar if I start to feel funny.

• Like Like x 1
  19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have yet to experience a low, but I have been high enough before that I was almost falling asleep standing up. (A symptom of high blood glucose can be exhaustion or fatigue.)

20. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So. Me and my diabetes...... we ain't doing so hot. I got put on a second medication, and..... it doesn't seem to be helping much, so they'll probably be upping the dosage for me or introducing other meds.