1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Take This Christian Music Test

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wait...what's that? Do I see a curtain coming? Wait...it's coming down...what does it mean? Whaddaya mean, page 20?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Nope...it's just that I believe in being gentle in my speech and conduct. I'm trying to maintain a good witness...even on a debate forum.

People can misunderstand passion for hatred. I'm just watching myself in that realm. Our witness never goes "off the clock."

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Is Music Really Neutral?
    Dan Sweatt
    First published in
    Frontline November/December 1991
    Vol 1 N 6

The Sixties Revolution

Let it be clearly understood that the only people on the face of the earth, in this generation or any other, who have tried to promote the "neutrality of music" are Christians living after 1965.

What happened in the mid-sixties that was significant enough to cause many fundamental Christians to ignore what was then and is now common knowledge among musicians? I believe the roots are sociological rather than musical. Those of us who lived during that tumultuous time remember well the social climate. All that was traditional was suspect. The young rejected anything even vaguely associated with "the establishment." Perhaps the most traditional of all institutions was the church, and perhaps the most traditional of all aspects of the church was the music. The cry became "Give us something new!"

Simultaneously in the secular world a new form of musical expression had captured the minds as well as the imaginations of this restless generation. This music they could feel! It gave voice to their rebellion and to their passion.

Preachers fearlessly assailed the pivoting hips of Elvis and the moppy hair of the Beatles. The miniskirt was unclothing our girls, while every other standard was being pushed to the limit. Compared to rock-and-roll, church music seemed bland indeed.

On the one hand, preachers were fighting the rebellion—no long hair, no short skirts; on the other, they feared "turning off" this generation who had quite different tastes. It was against this backdrop that someone began to use rock-and-roll as a vehicle to reach this new generation. The reasoning was, "If we are going to reach them, we must speak their language."

With the ever-widening media influence and so many in the church becoming entertainment oriented, the stage was set. "Get them to the church by giving them what they like; then give them what they need. Since a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, let’s coat the gospel with rock-and-roll." Someone described it in this way, "We’ll sneak up on them and inoculate them with the gospel before they know it."

Flaws in Contemporary Logic

As viewed from twenty-five years down the road, this approach had several obvious problems. The first is that the gospel is not medicine, but it is "the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth." It does not need covering up to make it more palatable or jazzing up to make it more relevant. It merely requires proclaiming so that God can do His work. Secondly, many preachers had already begun, and rightly so, to attack this music’s sensuality, its driving jungle rhythm and the bizarre dress and behavior of its performers. But as the pressure mounted and apologists asked questions for which these preachers had no answers, many began to ignore the music and focus on the messages the songs gave. To be sure, preachers had plenty to preach about there. However, because most preachers did not feel qualified to talk about the music itself beyond the phrases "jungle beat" and "too loud," musicians interpreted their silence as tacit approval. With a little faulty logic about reaching the lost with its own music but with Biblical words, the corner was turned. If music is neutral, then why not use any style to communicate a good message? If the message of the text is all that matters, then any musical vehicle is appropriate.

The Message of the Music

The problem is that the message of the music is at least as powerful as that of the lyrics, and the perception of the message is greatly colored by the vehicle that carries it. So today every musical style imaginable from country to heavy-metal is being called sacred. How in the world did we move from traditional church music to Stryper in twenty short years? By accepting the totally fallacious position that music is neutral.

But music is not neutral. Its message comes through loud and clear—often more clearly than the overshadowed words. It is time the twentieth-century church considered the message it is communicating by its music. Rather than a message of salt and light, and of separation and holiness, it has become a message of compromise and confusion.

During the past twenty years, our young have taught us much about their music and free lifestyle; it is time we begin to teach them about godliness and holy living.

http://www.f-b-f.org/WebMan/Article.asp?ID=3902&Count=true

4. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Nah, it's just beginning! [​IMG]

"Overture, curtain, lights!
    This is it. The night of nights.
    No more rehearsing or nursing a part.
    We know every part by heart!

Overture, curtain, lights!
    This is it. We'll hit the heights!
    And oh, what heights we'll hit!
    On with the show, this is it!

Tonight what heights we'll hit!
    On with the show, this is it!"

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Frenchy said:

ALL the lyrics were posted to the whole song so how can they be taken out of context?

Holy moly, talk about someone feigning innocence when he gets caught with his pants down.

You yourself posted, on page 4 of this thread:

You are complaining because I have done (in jest) what you have done in all seriousness: distort the message of a song by quoting two lines of it in isolation.

If you weren't busy being dishonest, and would apply the same standards to the REZ song "Mission Bells" that you apply to Scripture, you would realize that it no more says "there is no heaven" than the Bible says there is no God.

I'm sure you realize this already, but your anti-music crusade has trumped your integrity. :rolleyes:

Physician, heal thyself.

6. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Let's not forget that David played his harp for Saul to drive out an EVIL SPIRIT. so music is not neutral! 1 Sam 16

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Drat, I was wrong, I guess In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida just missed the cut. :cool:

Will there be a page 22???

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Frenchy...check the BB posting rules. I think you're only supposed to post a short clip of the articles (then the site), not the whole thing...copyright rules & stuff.

Sweatt's article is hogwash. He has no sense of music history. Every musical innovation in the last millenium has been resisted.

9. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

No Ransom I was refering to the ones SFIC posted.he posted ALL the lyrics to Rez Band's baby killer songs

if you can find the lyrics (I COULDN"T) to Missions Bells please do. i went by memory to what was being played in my sons youth group that is the part i remember after reading them!

Don't be so quick to judge without all the facts

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Play this backwards, and it says,

"The Roadrunner smokes marijuana,
    The Roadrunner smokes marijuana!
    I buried Bugs. Turn me on dead Wabbit"

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I see. So then, you don't even know what the lyrics are, but you're condemning them?

Please see above.

Do you even read what you post before you post it?

now Playing: Sonny Landreth – “Levee Town”

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] I love it when folks slam Stryper.

Yeppers...let's take a defunct group with questionable skills from 25 years ago, and apply our critique of them to anything Christian and newer than 1965.

I'd make more fun of it, but the challenge is gone.

Man, if I built that many straw men, my arms would hurt for days.

13. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

they probably figure you know where all the good food is [​IMG]

14. Magnetic Poles

Ten more posts and Frenchy is at number 666!

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

rbell i will not respond to you as it would just be casting pearls before swine. you do have the spirit of learning but of sarcasm. along with the poster above :rolleyes:

16. Magnetic Poles

Now you are calling rbell a swine. How Christian of you.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Play this backwards, and it says,

"The Roadrunner smokes marijuana,
    The Roadrunner smokes marijuana!
    I buried Bugs. Turn me on dead Wabbit"
    </font>[/QUOTE]I have forwarded your post to AV1611.org. They have put it on their site under the headings,

"Lucifer's bird: The evils of Roadrunner"
    "ACME is of Satan"
    "The Coyote is probably gay. He runs funny!"
    "Elmer Fudd's label, 'Wabbit' is an ancient Wiccan curse"

18. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Now you are calling rbell a swine. How Christian of you. </font>[/QUOTE]Show of hands: how many people here remember two pages ago when Frenchy was complaining that people were being rude to him (even though he couldn't show who was rude)? [​IMG]

Now Playing: Michael Nesmith – “Magnetic South”

20. Magnetic Poles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.