1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking bibles to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by convicted1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

Uh... Tim...you had it going on until this one. It's referring to plastic wrap. :laugh:

Raise your hand if you're Sure

#21 Joe, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

TinyTim,
    Isn't it hard to highlight your bible on the sword?? :D

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Taking your bible to church?

Now, let's change gears and direction, but let's still talk about taking our bibles to church. Does anyone know where and how this got started? I have always wondered about this. My father-in-laws church does this. Maybe not all of them, but probably more than 50% do. Like I said earlier, no one in my home church, or in our association takes their's to church, or none that I am aware of. I may start taking mine with me. I have heard things preached that I am not sure if it is biblical or not. If I take mine, I can flop it open and read for myself!!

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think it started when Jesus carried scrolls to the temple.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Shamefully I'm with this guy. When I did carry bibles I kept giving them away since we have homeless and others who visit the Church. This means mines was always new and the spine was never wore in so it looked like I didn't read it. Gideon’s sent us a boat load recently because of the service at the mission we hold every fourth Wednesday of the month.

I have severe ADD so would usually forget where mines was anyway. We have the big Bible on the pulpit for most services and I preach from the bulletin at 11AM service because I always preach the Sunday school lesson which is also our responsive reading so is typed in the bulletin…

I pace while I preach so usually use the Bible on my Blackberry or will have someone in the congregation read a verse if I need it.

I find a lot of people hold up their bible and call it a sword. Ask them about it and they have no clue what's inside. Tell them to turn to a verse and welll, you've seen them in action... The offensive weapon or the Word of God is only useful when it’s able to be applied to ones life. Just as I wouldn’t want a surgeon reading instruction from a text book, I wouldn’t want to see a Christian do battle with satan trying to find that verse in their sword. I guess you could throw it at him??? Satan knows the word.

They word I cling to and count on in trouble times is the word hid in my heart…

Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Perhaps I should set a better example.

6. readmore

readmore New Member

Bringing your Bible to church is one of the spiritual thermometers where I attend. Unfortunately, a lot of times I'm carrying a baby in an infant carrier, a diaper bag, and other miscellaneous things, so a lot of times I come to church a little "backslidden" and use one of the pew Bibles.

Actually, I have an NASB on my cell phone, but I don't want it to look like I'm fiddling around with a Gameboy or something during church, so I avoid that one.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " People don't sit in my pew.

99% I am either the first or second person there to get the church ready for the service. On the few occassions that I am not there first or second, most of us have usual spots and don't stray to far. Since I sit close to the front, I think there has only been one occassion in five years where a visitor has used "my" pew. Honestly, it isn't a big deal, just a habit, like sitting in a certain chair at the kitchen table."

One morning after a Sunday School we had all moved into our pews for church when a woman that attends now and then came in and a little curtly said, "Oh I see we are all in our own little seats." and quietly sat down in "Her little seat." where she always sits :laugh:

As you say, kind of a habit.

Tim mentione Pew/smell - I've always said the Pews got their name from the dead flesh sitting in them.

As to the point someone wanted to get back to - I'd GUESS that it came from people wanting to be good Bereans - checking out the guy up front to be sure what he said was Biblical. :thumbs:

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

When I go to church, I carry a Bible in my head. I preach to fast to be able to read it. I guarntee you, if you try to keep up with me by reading, you are in for a surprise.We also have one or two on the potium for references...............:)

#28 Brother Bob, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our whole family has their own Bible and we all take them to church. I write notes and highlight in mine. I just wouldn't feel right not having my Bible with me.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a new one on me. I never heard of not taking a Bible to church, in any denomination.

#30 saturneptune, Sep 23, 2007
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because this is America and I can (so far).

HankD

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Old Regulars and Primitive Baptist that I know do not carry Bibles to church for the most part. I would imagine the early church never carried a Bible to church, not everyone had one I suppose. They were read to or taught from the Bible. Of course everyone does check our doctrine with their Bibles at home and if we mess up, believe me we get told...........:) The reason the question was asked in the first place is because our members of which Convicted1 belongs, do not carry Bibles as a whole. I see some with Bibles, which in no way bothers me. If I am not telling it like it is, I want someone to tell me, for I am obligated to preach the "Truth".

I also see some with the small Bible computers, which they look up real fast what you have preached.

#32 Brother Bob, Sep 23, 2007
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I always heard most Catholics do not do much Bible study, relying on priests and whoever else to teach Scripture.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I say most people depend on their preacher to teach them and read from time to time. I doubt very much they study as a preacher has too.

I doubt if a Catholic could do much about it even if they thought their preist was telling them wrong. They are just little people without a fancy robe to wear.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in Bible college I knew a fiery preacher by the name of Lester Roloff.

Pastor Roloff wouldn't go anywhere without his Bible and he knew more Scripture by heart than any man I've ever met.

I loved that man.

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?id=120&rc=1&list=multi

HankD

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good point Bro Bob, the Gospel was not penned for many years and even once it was put to print it was duplicated by hand (Scribes). Until recently, most families could only afford one Bible if that which was called the "family" bible. It was handed down from generation to generation and housed all the weddings, deaths and of course, the Word of God.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Believe it or not, you can highlight in esword! It's a wonderful tool for any believer to have.
    www.esword.com

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I take my "car Bible" into church, and when I'm done, it goes back into the glove box.

I would rather Christians keep a Bible in their car, than bringing them into Church (even though I recommend doing so). Chances are you will need a Bible when you are away from home, and it is convenient to always have one in the car.

19. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Hmm...interesting thread! I wasn't aware that is WAS a tradition, or that there were some churches where people did not bring Bibles with them.
    I do bring mine with me, because I like to read along, or reread if I missed something. I also like to read as the collection is going around, or before service starts as people are finding their seats, and the introductory music is playing.

love,

Sopranette

20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I did have a Catholic once tell me that "the main difference between Catholics and other Christians is that you all read your Bible and we don't". In his own words.