1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking bibles to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by convicted1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

I usually take my Bible to church with me. Until a few months ago that would be, “I always take my Bible to church with me,” but now we are using this powerpoint visual overhead in church. When the preacher gets up to read his text it is projected onto the big screen and you can read along with him without looking the verses up in your Bible. We also have pew Bibles, but not too many people use them anymore. Any other verses in the sermon are also put up on the board.

I still usually have my Bible and often something the pastor says will spark a thought in my mind and I will want to look something up in another verse, so it is still a good idea to have it with me.

Now if I am going to one of the older more traditional churches around here I always take my Bible because without the audio visual system you would need one to follow along.

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I take my Bible to church with me and I also take a note book and make notes on the sermon too.

Blessings

following-Him

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's my job to do the stuff that goes up on the screen and the pastor and I agreed that we won't put the verses up there because of just the reason you stated, NCT. He wants people to touch their own Bibles - to underline (he often says "Underline this word"), to make notes. :D

Also, we have note paper right in the bulletin - 1/2 sized sheets with holes punched into them so you can put them right into a small binder. There are times the notes are blank and other times there is an outline done there and every once-in-a-while, there is a fill-in-the-blank for you to do but we don't like that too much. I find I get the most out of the sermon when it's a blank page.

4. Servent

Servent Member

I love e-sword its a great tool.
    I always take my bible, I like to follow the pastor just in case he makes a mistake, (only once has this happened) He is the pastor but am i just supposed to believe everything he says is true without following along, I don't think so!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a little secret on my own pastor. He has always had the same Bible. When his first one was falling apart, he bought a brand new of the same Bible because he KNEW where things were on the pages (and he saved his old one because of all the notes). When he learned that they would no longer be making that particular Bible, he bought 3 more - for spares! So he's set for the rest of his life with the same Bible. He takes it with him everywhere.

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

My pastor does the same thing for the same reason.

I know it's a Nelson, but I can't remember which # right off hand.

I carry my bible every Sunday. I feel kinda naked at church without one. I don't know why, but I feel guilty, even if I don't even open it while I'm there.

7. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I have to echo this sentiment. Through the years, with friends and family, I have attended Methodist, Presbyterian, Church of God, Church of God of Prophecy, Church of God of Union Assembly, and many, many different Baptist churches and would have never known this to be an issue. I never even thought to notice who does/doesn't have their Bible or who does/doesn't open it or know where something is in it, and I've never noticed anyone else "keeping score" like that (although I never thought to look for that and perhaps I'm just naive?)

I occasionally forget my Bible if I get in an extreme hurry, and then I'll use the pew Bibles (for which I'm grateful). But I'd much prefer to have mine with me so that I can mark it up, highlight, etc. as others have stated.

Interestingly, now that I think about it, the Methodist and Baptist churches I have attended -- the pastors have all asked you to read the Word of God along with them as they present the text. Most also stress for you to underline or highlight a passage and add notes in the margin. The church I am currently attending--the pastor is truly a TEACHING pastor and wants a very hands-on approach to God's Word. This interaction is just so "normal" to me, I guess that's why I just assumed that EVERYONE "just took their Bible".

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've always taken my Bible. I got the Inductive Study Bible in NASB (of course) when it first came out because it had extra wide margins and I've used it primarily ever since. There has been the rare time I've forgetten it and worship just isn't quite the same without my supplies handy.

For those of you who give away your Bibles or who would like to, I get Bibles by the case at christianbooks.com for that purpose.

9. pops

pops New Member

taking bible to church

2nd attempt - 1st about done when went to google to look something up and when I returned nothing was there except a blank screen! In my daily reading I like to underline points that seem important to me and this is also what I do at church as I am following along with pastors references. It never dawned on me to bring my bible to be able to point out to the pastor where I think he erred - that must make him really feel good! Nothing like having someone come up to you and say you made a mistake!!
    As your reading daily and following along at church don't you find some passages to jump out at you as a thing you would like to remember so you underline it or write a note in the margin? I do and then the next time I am reading I may find something that I overlooked the last time. I would find it very hard to underling like this with a e-bible.

10. readmore

readmore New Member

I used to write in the margins of my Bible a lot (even bought a wide margin Bible for this purpose) and underline verses, but lately I've gotten away from that. The impact of a verse that might jump out at me while listening in Church or in daily Bible reading isn't the same years later when I happen to see the passage again. Just because I'm dealing with different issues or have other things on my mind at the time, I guess.

Lately, if someone particularly striking dawns on me from the Bible, I just discuss it with my wife or "blog" it.

Also, I've seen people that have nearly every sentence in their Bible highlighted, and I can't help but think, "What's the point?"

11. Janet1983

Janet1983 New Member

I bring my bible to church and I am not the only one.
    Some do it because they actually mark important passages or write little notes to the side. I do it because the Chapel offers the NIV and I prefer the KJV.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

We have an insert in our bulletin with sermon putline and blanks to fill in, you have to listen, I always makes extra notes, and we have the verses up on the screen, but I read mine from my bible.

13. readmore

readmore New Member

edit: ("someone" should be "something")

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I used to put my main preaching/teaching passage on Powerpoint, but stopped doing that just so that people can follow along in their own Bibles.
    Sometimes i'll put scriptures i use within the text of the sermon on powerpoint.