1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking Merry Christmas out of greetings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since the topic of the OP was in regards to the ACLU and private companies, I shall limits my comments to that end (lest the thread become hijacked). The poster claimed that the ACLU is responsible for private business from saying "Merry Christmas". When asked for support, and when given at least one example that refutes the OP, I and several others were called "liberals".

It does indeed appear that the contention of the OP is false. Thep poster has yet to acknowlege the falsity, or provide support for the statements of the OP.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Just because they have not been successful yet doesn't mean that they aren't trying. I think that looking at their "successes" with public sector jobs is a good indicator of where things are headed.The ACLU has won some cases against private companies in other areas, in which they should have no bearing.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

HoG, you're missing the point. The OP made a false statement. It's wrong for us Christians to engage in the speaking of rumor, falsehood, and gossip of others. Just because the subject of rumor, falsehood, and gossip is an enemy, that doesn't make it acceptible behavior for the Christian.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I agree with you, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a valid discussion concerning the ACLU, with the fallacies straightened out.

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Some have minds like concrete. Throughly mixed and firmly set.

False claims about the ACLU?
    Sounds like democratic rubbish!

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Bruren, I'm as anti-ACLU as they come. That's why I'm trying to keep the discussion going around the truth of what the ACLU does.

Spreading half-truths and lies (even if unintentional) does nothing to further a cause. If your argument is righteous, then why not use the truth?

There are many truths that Christians damage themselves over because of things such as this.

7. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I have a noval thought. Why don't all of us wish a Merry Christmas to everyone we come into contact with? I assure you no one will get thrown in jail or sued by the ACLU. The best wy for things to change is for Christians to take the initiative to change them.

8. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Hope of Glory, There was an article on National News re. the ACLU trying to keep Merry Christmas out of public domain.

To go back to an earlier post of mine on this thread re. private businesses not allowing their employees to say Merry Christmas I know of two where I live who were told by their employer they could not say Merry Christmas.

As for the media, I only know what I heard.

Thanks for backing me up Hope of Glory!

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I know the ACLU is trying to keep it out of public jobs, and there are many national businesses that prohibit their employees from saying it, but I've seen no connection between the two. Yet. I expect it.

I did a Google and came up with many, many cases where the ACLU was keeping it out of public (government) jobs, and out of schools, including prohibiting songs even without the words, because "someone might think of the words and be offended".

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You seems to be describing yourself. You've made a nebulous claim about the ACLU, and have flatly refused to support that with anything factual.
    Lacking support, it appears to be the truth. In fact, I attempted to find any info to support your claim, attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt. But I found nothing. The only conclusion that one can reach is that you're either lying on purpose, or simply misguided on your stance.

Frankly, I expect more from you. Your posts tend to be a bit more objective than this, and you tend to be otherwise respectable. I'm at a loss as to why you are violating biblical principles here.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Merry Christmas everybody!

[​IMG] ;) :D [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've seen a few of those cases as well, and generally come to the same conclusion as you. However, we should at least allow people to understand what the law allows.

It is not illegal for government employees to say "Merry Christmas". Christmas is a secular national holiday, and the phrase itself is not religios in nature. Some governmental agencies have instructed employees not to use the phrase out of professionalism, but this is an employee/employer matter, not a legal matter.

It is not illegal for schools or community organizations to sing religious christmas songs. Courts have on numerous occaision rules that sacred tunes are culturally approriate. It is only inappropriate if the songs sung are exclusively religious in nature, since songs of the season are not exclusively sacred. However, the court does not require a "minimum" number of secular songs or a "maximum" number of sacred songs.

It is not illegal for nativity scenes to be displayed on public property. The only thing illegal is if the public finances the display. If the public provides space for it, but it is paid for by a privte entity, the display is permissible.

These things have all been tried and tested in the courts (not just by the ACLU) many times, and these rights have been continually upheld.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It all depends upon where you are. When the RI case came up and the courts ruled one way, at the same time in FL, an identical case came up and the courts ruled differently. Also, in one jurisdiction, a court made a ruling (which was later overturned) that a Christian creche (sp?) scene was illegal, but the rest was permissible because of diversity.

Although most of the cases (so far) have been ruled in favor of common sense, not all have, and the fact that it comes up repeatedly is annoying and it sort of shows where we're headed.

14. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Still waiting for some documentation for this original post:

bruren777 posted:
    the illustrious ACLU Anti Christian Liberal Union is behind businesses with public contact in keeping their employees from saying Merry Christmas to customers.

Without documentation, it is nothing more than a falsehood being spread.

15. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, it could just be one mans opinion...which wouldn't necessarily define it as a falsehood.
    ;)

16. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Woodymdt,gotta disagree...if he had prefaced with "I THINK the ACLU is behind businesses with public contact..." then that would be opinion.

As written, it is a falsehood without documentation.

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I have seen at least one ACLU newsletter encouraging the members to complain to store managers if Christmas displays appeared too religious for their taste. So if religious conservative groups complain about Christmas advertising & displays that are totally secular, I'd say that is fine. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

18. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eh, just trying to iron out the road a little bit... :cool:

19. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Johnv,
    I have decided to call a truce to this disagreement. I think we've reached a point where it is futile to continue this thread.

God Bless you Brother.
    In Him,
    Bruce