1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taking Merry Christmas out of greetings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm in 100% agreement with HoG here. Yes, we can discuss the ACLU as mentioned, but must remain truthful in our witness while doing so.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You have benn asked for specifics on his story and have provided none. I can't find anything that supports your OP claim.

Your claim in the OP is that the ACLU is forcing this. That claim appears to be false. Again, I have serious problems with the ACLU, but I'm not permitted to gossip or lie about them as you have in this thread.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not letting you off that easily. I'm holding a brother accountable here. Your OP is a lie. You need to repent for lying. The ACLU being an enemy does not give a Christian permission to lie.

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My dad is retired military and you cannot say Merry Christmas on Bases. I ive at home due to medical problems that are not going to disappear anytime soon and I have BX and Commissary privileges. I will say Merry Christmas if I wish to. Like Jesus said, If you are ashamed of Me, I will be ashamed ofyou on Judgment Day. This Political Correctness makes me wonder if people are ashamed of Jesus and the true meaning of Christmas.
    Faithgirl

6. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith, I'm not sure if it's all a matter of being ashamed. I think a lot of it is the intense pressure that groups like the ACLU, the Michael Nedow types can put on average people, to where they will decide to go with the flow and not buck whats being changed.

But along with that, I believe that there are a host of christians who do not flinch in this, do not cower and hide when charged with their faith, but again, most are probably not put in a position where it's faith vs. job, or faith vs. life, etc.

I think that will come, maybe even in my lifetime.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    False claims?

The ACLU anti-Christian agenda alone constantly works its way into the public ears of ignorance FORCING changes in the laws of the land at every opportunity and that in itself gets behind businesses with public contact teaching the falsities in the moral values of the secular world which get adopted by these public business leaders.

Sounds about right to me.

8. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I was in the Commissary at Camp Lejeune last Saturday (one son stationed there, one stationed in Iraq)and the cashier at the commissary said "Merry Christmas". Evidently she hadn't got the memo from the ACLU. :confused:

9. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas is alive and well at Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas!!

10. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

TO ALL: if I have offended anyone in this thread, I'm sorry, I apologize.
    In Him,
    Bruce

11. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bruce, I think most were concerned because you didn't justify your statement as an opinion, but rather stated your position as fact, without any supporting evidenciary information.

I will say that it's interesting that you labeled those who questioned your statement as liberals, and then attempted to defame those who questioned your statement as questionable christians.

Probably just some interpretational problems that could have easily been avoided.

12. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Thanks Woodymdt.

13. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aamen!

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

By democratic do you mean we live in a democratic society? That's probably pretty much close to the truth. Non-Christians and companies out to make a buck not to save souls can do what they want to do with Christmas an our Lord. I don't understand the reference to our Christian President, Jimmy Carter, however.

15. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Has the ACLU put "intense pressure" on anyone here? I think it's more a question of people being unwilling or unable to share their faith with non-believers.

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I want people everywhere to say Merry Christmas.

However, I think this is one of these issues that believers can get all wrapped up in and really miss the entire reason why we are here to begin with. We are never going to change the world by getting people to say Merry Christmas. We will only change the world by introducing people to Jesus Christ and allowing Him to change their lives.

How many people never walk next door to share Christ with their neighbor, and yet are outraged that a business will not say Merry Christmas?

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

PastorSBC, I think you nailed it there.

18. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I found the article I was alluding to when I started this thread!
    I'm sorry I couldn't remember where it was, it was not my intent to falsely defame anyone or any organization.

You can find the article here:
    alliencedefensefund.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3229

The title is: "It's okay to say Merry Christmas"

19. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by StraightandNarrow

By democratic do you mean we live in a democratic society? That's probably pretty much close to the truth.

Yep, we are a democratic society that was based on Christian principles, but that is changing quickly isn’t it?

Non-Christians and companies out to make a buck not to save souls can do what they want to do with Christmas an our Lord.

(Eph 5:11) And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

I don't understand the reference to our Christian President, Jimmy Carter, however.

Jimmy Carter is like a dog that you say “boo” to that rolls over on his back and kicks up his legs and leaks on the floor when it comes to standing up for values (especially Christian). Come on!, his stand on abortion alone tells you what kind of Christian he is. There’s a time for peace but he’s the kind of guy that if you broke in his house he’d…nevermind!!! Politics is for another tread in another place…which I don’t frequent.

http://www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/020239.html

http://www.regnery.com/regnery/040412_carter.html