1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tales of the Happy Valley "Gestapo"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Nov 30, 2014.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I have been pretty tired lately. Been building a house during the day and designing a new software and arguing here at night.

I used to know some cops who liked to be worshiped. It's not that ridiculous.

They're human and they are given authority over others.

Half my family are cops. My brother took criminal justice in college to be a cop and developed a chip on his shoulder so big you could barely see his head around it. Luckily I talked him into becoming a glazier instead.

People that gravitate towards jobs where they are given authority over others aren't always saints. Some of them think they should be worshiped and see a badge as a way to get it. I've known good cops like the one right next door and bad cops that have gone to jail for abusing their authority. The town I grew up (pop 2500) in had a judge commit suicide over a scandal that involved the police.

I had a friend growing up he and I would occasionally swap motorcycles for a day. His dirt bike for my road bike so he could ride with his dad and practice driving for his motorcycle license. He became a totally different person when he joined the Sheriffs dept. He thought I should worship him after that.

Power corrupts. Even in little towns. How much more so in big cities?

#21 poncho, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll be interested in this. A young man I work with, an Iraq war veteran. Pretty levelheaded and mature young man. He sought counseling in the Army to deal with some issues and was tagged with a PTSD diagnosis, even though by his own admission, his exposere to combat was minimal.

He applied for a job as apoliceman on a police force for a city of about 100,000. He was turned down at the psych exam, routinely given to all applicants, for his history with PTSD. Not based on an findings during the exam.

#22 carpro, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it is. But that's not my argument.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't. I was misrepresenting your argument like you've misrepresented mine.

Looking at the news and current events forum this morning the good Rev is still busy trying to misrepresent my argument. Some things will never change around here I reckon.

We could write a movie about the Baptist Board political forums and call it "The Attack Of The Strawmen".

#24 poncho, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014