1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Talking with Calvinists

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by matt wade, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A big amen to that dear brother.:smilewinkgrin:

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I agree!

While I certainly do not shy away from the debates over doctrine, sometimes it is just great to sit with a brother and let iron sharpen iron, not through disagreement, but through enlightenment, understanding, revelation, and the pure work of the gospel shared between brothers without fighting!

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is true provided someone knows enough to intelligently discuss a matter.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm curious. This was posted in the Missions/Witnessing/Evangelism forum, so do you regard those of us with calvinistic beliefs as non-Christians who need to be evangelised?

The OP certainly makes an unwarranted assumption that calvinistic theology has errors, and non-calvinistic theology doesn't.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly!:thumbs:

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Some non-cals like to ride the edge of calling calvinists salvation into question on the BB, aligning the beliefs of such with named cults, in subtle and not so subtle ways. Not only this, but the objective of this thread is to be inflammatory. If a cal attempts such, to ride the edge as close as one can to calling a non-cal or arminians salvation into question, to start an inflammatory thread, align them with cults? Well, an infraction or 5 and a snip.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

If they do not, so much the better. It allows for even greater a conversation. One, by the way, that I have had often as I mentor young men into the ministry.

8. VCViking

VCViking New Member

A Defense of Calvinism
    http://www.spurgeon.org/calvinis.htm

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally enjoy speaking with Calvinists.....on average, they are well informed & educated. Those are who I learn from the most.:thumbs:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I test the person on the basis of James 1:22. If they are not doers of the word then they are deluded. It is as simpler as that. I do not spend much time with those who only have an intellectual theology because they are still babes.

11. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

:laugh: true

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They should not disagree at all because they are predestined and chosen to be _____________.

13. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Actually, they state what they believe, but when questioned about it they dance around the orignal statement they made and give some goofy explaination as to why what we heard the first time is not what they meant.

And then of course, even though we heard plainly what they said, when we question it, they simply tell us that we are uneducated and don't understand, even though we heard it in plain English.

Ask a Cal to explain calvinism and it sounds nothing like the written DoG, even though they believe it, they wont admit it.

Double speak=poiliticians and Cals

John

#33 seekingthetruth, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who has a "repeat after me" theology simply repeats what they have heard and not the theology of the results of careful exegesis in light of its historical context.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'd much rather talk to George W. Bush about politics than tell a Calvinist he's in error....:laugh:

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that received about as well by someone who says, "God told me" after they prayed about something and you know it is clearly against what scripture teaches? The person is unable to see how he could possibly be wrong because God _________. It reminds me of the time when someone told me that the Holy Spirit __________ and I responded by saying, "Whose spirit?"

#36 gb93433, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm convinced that discussions between DoGs and Non-Cals will go better face to face, and will be more cordial than the discussions we have on this board, and even in this thread.

But it will not go well if either side goes on the attack. The best way is to exchange view points--as in "here's what I believe and here's why I believe it."

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree. It still seems to me that the OP regards those of us with calvinistic beliefs as non-Christians who need to be evangelised; I assume that must be so, otherwise why post this thread on the Missions/Witnessing/eVangelism forum?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take it on eval,... take it from where it comes David. RIGHT! They loose the moment they open their mouths.

#39 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, so that church in Pennsylvania that had giving an open door policy to a pedophile ....... yea right. Dont get me started John. Start taking the plank outa your own I before turing your hatred at your brother.