1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Targeting the Roman Catholic

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK...so your just referring to P4T's demeanor. Got it.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious BG......have you ever read anything by Luther? Didn't you say you had relatives that were Lutherans?

#62 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, my mother is a practising Lutheran, most of her side of the family are devout Lutherans.

No, I have not read much about Martin Luther other than a synopsis on his life.

I will probably attend Christmas service with her if she asks me, I will have been to midnight Mass already. Mum is invited to this of course but it is very long, very hot (Brisbane is hot and humid then) and the wee church is over full of the faithful, so she will decline again I suspect. She is over 80 after all.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then your mom is really a practicing Melanchthon (a protege of Luther) religious society believer. See if you read Luther you would find him more in agreement with Calvin....try reading Luther's Bondage of the Will. In it he will essentially tell you that he believes the RCC critical theological error is insisting that the will of man is the decisive factor in salvation. Thats if you care to delve deep into the mans real theological bent and the actual break with Rome.

#64 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "Communion of Saints" - praying to the dead is part of the Catechism and considered infallible Catholic dogrine.

So also the idea of "purgatory" and infant baptism.

They also have the teaching that the priest has "powers" to "confect" the body and blood of God the Son in the form of Jesus Christ. And that the priest "retains those powers" even if defrocked/excommunicated.

Almost all Catholics know that the decrees of ecumenical councils are deemed to be just as infallible as the ex cathedra statements of a Pope. What fewer may know is that Lateran IV is an ecumenical council that decreed the "extermination of all heretics" and that this dark-ages decree is still held to be "infallibly correct" by Catholic leadership.

I had a conversation at work the other day with a Hindu about the comparison between their faith and the Catholic belief in praying to the beings that the idols/images represent. Both groups do that.

in Christ,

Bob

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct on all counts....per my Baltimore catechism. But I'm not up on current Catholic doctrines...been away too long.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The catholic Church has NEVER recanted off the Council of trent, maybe repackaged it, but still dame doctrines!

8. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly. They still claim (officially) all outside of 'their' apostate 'church' are lost, and we have some on here hammering away that we should accept them because they know some soul within that is saved. Then on the next thread they will preach no one knows who is saved, yet all of that truth changes when it gets subjective and personal. Thus we have those who throw out Scripture when it opposes their little world and bias.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think there are many RC's who even know, care to know or understand doctrine? Frankly I dont think so.

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, no thank you. As for the idea that the "will of man is a decisive factor in salvation" is erroneous . I cannot imagine how he figured that out. However, I find delving into heretical theology just makes this dumb broads head hurt. So I will continue in my humble belief and entrust my salvation to God's Will rather than my own purile attempts. heh, that does not sound quite right, but I know what I mean.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so then you can never grow. Sister I have people on here telling me not to ask questions.....but I am a radical Christian...that's what I do....that's how I learn.

12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then I pray that you gain the grace you need in order for your salvation. I have been blessed in this regard ....I just need to remain on the straight and narrow path which is a daily task......being a questioner is all well and good, providing it enables enlightenment rather than an obscuring of the Divine Word.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is Gods world sister. the bible has always taught that and given us the instructions necessary to operate in His kingdom. I believe it when the Lord says "you are the salt of the earth"

We can debate that meaning but at the core it assumes correctly that we live in a fallen world & we as Christians are to be the element (salt in Christs time was both an antiseptic and a preservative) to resolve the problems that fester in a continuum. And the Lord says clearly that you Christian are the salt to deal with it....thats a charge you need to be advised of & to implement. So if you are doing that then fine, but if your not then God help you when you stand before Him. Will he tell you that He never knew you?