1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tea Party Didn't Fair So Well

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by go2church, Mar 5, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, we've got one poster saying most of the Tea Partiers are Libertarians and another one that says they are a diverse group. So which is it?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what Tcasidy said.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, we've got one poster saying most of the Tea Partiers in Texas are Libertarian and we've got another one that says they are a diverse group. So which is it?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, most likely intentionally, are conflating two completely different issues. I mentioned the diversity of the Tea Party as a whole. Tcassidy spoke of the Tea Party in the state of Texas. One does not contradict the other. Although I am not sure Tcassidy is right.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a academic study on this but I'll give my impressions.

The Tea Party campaigned heavily in the mailers and commercials that where in my area. They all emphasized getting rid of government spending, tossing Obama Care and what good christians they were.

Again just my experience, but the whole line about the Tea Party in Texas being, libertarian and not regular Tea Party, just doesn't seem to square with my experience.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you may know more about it than I do. After all, I am only the Party Precinct Chairman for the 42nd Precinct, and a delegate to the County Convention which will be held this coming Saturday. :)

And I never said all Tea Party people were Libertarian. I said that the Tea Party, for the most part, participates in the Libertarian Conventions. Some are Republicans, some are Democrats, but the majority, at least in this part of Texas, are Libertarians. :)

#26 TCassidy, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crossover voting is allowed in Texas primaries. Many democrats vote in the Republican primary and can sometimes skew the result.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if you vote in the Primary you may NOT participate in the Convention except as a observer. That would, in effect, allow you to vote twice. :)

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

Same in Missouri. That's how Jerry Litton got nominated to the Senate way back in 1976. But that was different. The Republicans cross over because he was one of those rare men that transcended party identity, ruralism vs. metropolitanism, "right" vs. "left." He was recognized as a true leader and statesman. He would have been president, in most Missourians' minds.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is a common mistake, Revmitchell. I think it is mostly related to the fact that the corporate media is determined to make everyone think this is true. I think we can all agree on that.

Regards,
    BiR

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Those that crossover vote are not interested in the convention, just acting as spoilers. It rarely works, but it can sometimes change the result of a close primary race.