1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teaching children to pray and using Godly songs or hymns to help?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, May 14, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

When my first child was born in 1970, I carefully chose the first music (LP then) that I purchased from a Christian bookstore. I wanted the music played on 33-1/3 for my child(ren)(then,) to be adult voices singing songs such as "Why worry when you can pray?" and "Only a boy named David."

As a parent or now as a grandparent, I want to have to a positive influence in [verbal] praying out loud in front of my grandchildren. Also I would like to have Godly songs or hymns to help re-inforce this when the child is able to play a "CD" or a "DVD."

In this changing society, I want to help each of my grandchildren to pray using Godly terms, Godly concepts that would help them now as he or she is developing as well as later as they mature in the Christian faith.

I want their prayers and songs to be Biblical. I like to see songs and hymns that show good patterns for kids and adults to consider and use in praying.

Suggestions, comments. I'm listening. Thanks, mr. messy.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not the best for kids, but then maybe :) I stumbled across a pair of cds some time ago that are well put together. They are standard hymns done by a choir/orchestra. If you listen to the words as they go from song to song you find that there is an ongoing theme/message.

Hymns Triumphant I and II

My wife has them at work, if you want the publisher let me know and I will get the info.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Cedarmont Kids and Brentwood Kids have some CD's and tapes available with good and Biblical songs for children (depending on the ages).

I play these in my car for my daycare children every day. These are all available on tapes or CD's for very little money. You can also get them on VHS. [​IMG]

Onward Christian Soldiers
    Rise And Shine (Arky Arky)
    Zacchaeus
    Father Abraham
    I'm In The Lord's Army
    Swing Low Sweet Chariot
    His Banner Over Me Is Love
    Jesus Bids Us Shine
    O Be Careful Little Eyes
    Happy All The Time
    Jesus Loves The Little Ones
    Isn't He Wonderful
    One Door And Only One
    Behold Behold
    If You're Happy
    This Little Light Of Mine
    Climb climb Up Sunshine Mountain
    Ezekiel Saw The Wheel
    This Little Light Of Mine
    Rocka My Soul
    I Want To Be Ready
    Down By The Riverside
    Lord I Want To Be A Christian
    I Shall Not Be Moved
    Jesus Loves The Little Children
    Wade In The Water
    Jesus Loves Me
    Do Lord Remember Me
    Were You There
    The B-i-b-l-e
    Get On Board
    Children Jesus Loves You
    I Am A C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n
    Little David Play Your Harp
    Thy Word Have I Hid In My Heart
    Praise Him Praise Him
    Hallelu Hallelu
    Wonderful Words Of Life
    Fairest Lord Jesus
    The Lord Is My Shepherd
    Heavenly Father I Appreciate You
    Come And Go With Me
    Kum-ba-yah
    Come Bless The Lord
    God Is So Good
    Praise The Lord Together
    Jesus In The Morning
    He Is Lord
    Love Love

Click Here for LINK

I heard a few years ago, a poll saying 85% of what people know about God came from a song. It'll be pretty sad if all the next generation knows is 'I Exalt Thee, Oh Lord' 40 times in a row.

[ May 14, 2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

My Grandmother used to have an old copy of the Broadman Hymn. She would sit me in her lap and sing to me from it. Sometimes she explained the words to me.

My own children listened to a variety of Christian Tapes from various sources. Most of them are standard songs we grew up with.

The WOW Worships CD's are awesome.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I also recommend the Veggie Tales Videos, and the Odyssey (sp?) Tapes.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bibleman is great and boys especially love it! We have several from the McGee and Me series too. [​IMG]

For a little older child, Nick (10) and I listen to the music off www.cyberhymnal.org and then read the circumstance behind the hymn and about those who wrote the words and music.

You can buy scripture songs at your local Lifeway or online at www.Lifeway.com Check this out too!
    http://www.forheaven.com/parable/default.asp

The Gaither's have some great videos for children now. Gaither's Pond series can be bought at Parable at the link above.