1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teaching creation science

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Gina B, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Do any of you have recommendations for reading material on this subject for an advanced 8 yr. old? [​IMG] Advanced, but still a child. I'm having a hard time finding anything that deals with this on more than a very basic level or that deals with it more in depth but still at a level she can comprehend.
    I'd also like to introduce her to the basic idea of evolution and simple refutations. (she likes things like that to make her think)
    I could have posted this under books or homeschooling, but I noticed many of the posters in this forum don't venture out onto the open board and I wanted the opinions of people I knew would be educated on the subject.
    Gina

2. Peter101

Peter101 New Member

>>>>>I'd also like to introduce her to the basic idea of evolution and simple refutations. (she likes things like that to make her think)<<<<<<

Well, there is a problem here. The problem is that the refutations are invariably wrong! Mention some of them and we will show you what makes them incorrect.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That would be a problem if the refutations are incorrect! Of course I need ones that ARE correct. But...I'm thinking you were being a bit sarcastic. what do you believe?
    I do not have a strong stance on a young earth, although I do believe in creation rather than evolution. But..I'm sadly unknowledgable about the whole deal, so I'll be learning along with her.
    Gina

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Keep in mind, you need to be very, very careful. Many of the "refutations" you see on the net are false, and some are outright dishonesties.

Your child trusts you. Be very sure you are doing the right thing. If you tell her things that she later learns are not true...

For starters, you might want to see the AIG list of "Arguments We Think Creationists Should Not Use" from Answers in Genesis. Keep in mind that this is a creationist site, and there are some outright falsehoods to be found there, but they list some that are so outrageous that even many creationists don't use them.

5. Peter101

Peter101 New Member

>>>>>>That would be a problem if the refutations are incorrect! Of course I need ones that ARE correct. But...I'm thinking you were being a bit sarcastic. what do you believe?<<<<<<<

No, I am being very serious. Let me suggest that before using any refutations of evolution, see how they fly here first. There are some very good scientists posting here who will give you the benefit of years of education and experience on this issue. One difficulty though is that it sometimes takes years of experience and education in order to fully understand the arguments on either side.

6. mdkluge

mdkluge Guest

Regarding "refutations" of evolution:

Since you do not believe in evolution you should tell your child. You should also try to explain, as best you can, why you do not believe in evolution.

But that is not the same as trying to explain to your child why evolution "cannot" be true. You need to be clear in your own mind about what you believe to be true (or untrue) and what you can refute as being untrue.

You might want to be very careful in seeking additional evidence to "refute" evolution. Please bear in mind that whatever you believe about evolution, and whatever might ultimately be true about evolution, there is overwhelming (albeit not unanimous) scientific consensus supporting it. It behooves you in educating your child to make your child understand why evolution is thought to be reasonable. Because you do not believe in evolution you should tell that to your child (with your reasons); but bear in mind that any "refutation" purporting to make evolution look silly or ridiculous won't pass the laugh test. Whether or not you believe in evolution, you should understand (and teach your child) that virtually all (although not absolutely all) scientists do beieive in evolution in some way. That is a fact. You need to explain to your child why that fact is reasonable. You can say that you think the scientific consensus is wrong. You can offer whatever reasons you have for believing that consensus to be wrong; but neither you nor your child are qualified to offer or consider reasons for believing that consensus ridiculous. Whenever you see an argument purporting to show that evolution is ridiculous yoiu should step back and think twice. Maybe you think the scientific consensus to be wrong; but it would be arrogant beyond belief for you to try to show that it is ridiculous. Anyway your child is likely to detect arguments that you don't understand, so be careful. Be honest. Tell your child that you don't believe in evolution, but don't pretend that you have arguments to refute it.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What is your definition of evolution? This is addressed to all Christians who believe in it. I don't understand how a person can claim belief in the bible and not believe in creation, but perhaps I've got the wrong definition of evolution! :confused:
    Gina

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Change in allele frequency over time.

Of course we believe in creation. It's just that we also approve of the way He did it.

Yep. Evolution in no way contradicts creation. That's why most Christians accept that it's consistent with God's creation.

You don't have to deny reality to be a Christian. If God is truth, how could he fake all that evidence?

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Doesn't the first chapter in Genesis define how He did it? Or do most Christians who believe in evolution believe in a recreated earth?
    Gina

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gina, You opened the door to trouble when you came down here! We're very opinionated.

Concerning teaching creation science to a young child, I think you just need to teach the Bible, let the child believe what they may. The Basic idea regarding creation is; God created! This can be grasped easily.

I would teach the basic subject of biology, which gets curiouser and curiouser all the time. It's not the easy subject we had when we were kids.

If you do get into the subject of the Creation/evolution you should not present the ideas as dogmatic statements of fact, much of the information is speculative and much is opinion.

Here's an article from Probe ministries that I've found helpful.
    http://www.probe.org/docs/cr-evol.html

Personally I'd stay far away from organizations that push creation science until the child gets older, like until the child is at least 80!

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Rob

[ July 02, 2003, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

11. aefting

aefting New Member

I appreciate the kind responses to Gina's question from all you non-YEC's out there.

I would echo what Galatian said about the AIG website, although that might be too advanced for an 8-year old. AIG has some appropriate cautions. They might also be a good place to find age specific materials for your daughter. Here's a LINK.

Personally, I would start with what does the Bible say about Creation. My view if different from those who have posted so far. I have complete confidence in the inerrancy of God's Word and I believe we can depend on it to be just as accurate when it speaks to scientific things as when it speaks to spiritual things. So I believe that God created the entire well-ordered universe in 6 literal days just like it says, etc.

Anyway, just remember that not everything you read on a creationist web site is true. Also remember that not everything you read on an evolutionist web site is true. There is a lot that scientists on both sides have to learn.

Andy

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Yes. That's how we know that He used natural means to create life.

Read Gen. 1:20 and Gen. 1:24

His creation is ongoing. There was a primary creation, when He made the universe, and secondary creation, which happens as a consequence of that primary creation.

He is still with us in the world, and it continues to unfold as He wishes.

13. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

(Genesis 2:1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

So what’s your interpretation of this verse?

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

As God tells us, the primary creation was completed before man.

However, you do agree that God created you, don't you?

If so, then His creation certainly didn't end with Adam.

Think about it.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A gradual change in the physical and physiological appearance of life forms over time. For the Christian, it's also a belief that such a change would be the handiwork of God who is the creator.

16. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

The Institute for Creation Research has some wonderful books.

17. Peter101

Peter101 New Member

>>>>>The Institute for Creation Research has some wonderful books.<<<<<<

If these books are similar to most creationist books, they are full of errors. For example, there is no good evidence in favor of a young earth.

An example of the errors often found in creationist claims is given in the thread I recently started about Carbon-14. I quoted a Setterfield web site that contains claims about C-14 that were accurate 40 years ago, but have been obsolete for at least 20 years. I can't get Helen to admit that though. Seems she prefers not to discuss it.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL! I think I'll just use the bible for the lessons and let her read this thread for the arguments. ;)
    Gina

19. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Peter101:

ERRORS are ERRORS, and public school children have
    had to listen to EVOLUTION retoric for 40 years
    without any recourse.

I'm sorry that you have been so programed that you
    cannot see any light in anything that Creationists
    publish.

Of course you couldn't read it in school...

20. Meatros

Meatros New Member

What are you saying A_Christian? That we should allow our students to be taught things which are full of errors? Should we also teach them that the earth is flat, that the moon is made of cheese, etc?