1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teaching Kids math

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by faithgirl46, Jun 21, 2005.

1. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a child has problems adding problems loike 397+ 456, or 123+156, convert the numbers to play money. I stumbled onto this while teaching my Bf's youngest daughter to add before she entered kindegareten. I took the adding problems 0+0 to 0+12 to 1+0 to 1+12, to 2+0 to 2+12 and had Kayla do them for me. Her older sister Jamie was my teacher's aide. Kayla knew 1+1, 2+3 etc, Kayla could do some of the harder problems 2+9, 1+8 with Jamie's an my help. Hoeve she didn't understand how the number 10 worked. Jamie and I triend the number line, our fingers to no avail. while watching the 700 Club, it dawned on me that all kids like money. I drew ten dimes and ten pennies and wrote 10c and 1 c on the pieces of paper. I cut them out the next day. I showed Kayla 10+2 10+1 using the "coins" and she understood.

If a child has problems multiplying double digit numbers break the number down into tens and ones.
    example 25x35
    20x30
    20x5
    30x5
    5x5

20x30= 600
    20x5= 100
    30x5 = 150
    5x5 = 25

2. HomeSchooling4Jesus

HomeSchooling4Jesus New Member

Yes this makes perfect sense as children usually do not understand abstract math until age 12-13, before that they only get the concrete concepts. Most often when abstract math (via a formal math 'curricula') in introduced too young...they end up having math phobia by age 13. [​IMG]

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We have used formal math "curricula" to homeschool our 5 kids for the last 15 years and have never encountered math phobia.

The money idea is a brilliant one.

Your tens and ones concept for multiplying is a decent aid, but be careful that you do not over-complicate the system. They will need to know the accepted method of multiplying. The method above will work well for tens, but will get confusing when you are trying to multiply thousands.

4. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

We have also always used formal math "curricula" with great success. With addition and subtraction, learning number families is the best tool that we have found.

5. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

bumping this up