1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Team Bush to "Cut & Run"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm so glad you do. :flower:

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Good questions, Daisy!

I saw on CBS tonight that it looks like it will be at least 18 mos. before the timetable talks about force reductions. Yet, they also showed the US soldiers arresting "Iraqi Army" units who had attacked them, rather than working as partners.

If Bush would flip flop and flip us out of Iraq tomorrow, he would have my support on that. It is a civil war we cannot win in any sense of the word.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Or that carpro doesn't understand paraphrases or pretends not to in order to slander and "yank chains". I suspect the latter.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

so we leave three unfinished conflicts to future generations, that may not exist, since radical-leftists hate children and want to be immortal. history has repeated itself, but this time it isn't farce....

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

And my message today to those in Iraq is: We'll stay the course; we'll complete the job. My message to our troops is: We will stay the course and complete the job and you'll have what you need. And my message to the loved ones who are worried about their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, is: You're loved one is performing a noble service for the cause of freedom and peace.
    George W. Bush, press conference April 13, 2004

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040413-20.html

As usual, when he's in a tight spot, he tries to edit the truth.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

I know what paraphrasing means and in this case it means making an excuse for being caught in a lie.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

There was no lie except on Bush's part. We had been stay the course and he said we never were.

Perhaps Bush wasn't lying, but merely addlepated - which is worse in a president?

8. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Carpo do I need to sic Bill Clinton on you again!;)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZE20lzZZF0&eurl= (video of bush saying stay the course myriads of times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYb9rf2BBQ&mode=related&search=( more of the same on "stay the course" by bush the deceiver.

Carpro , I really do believe you do not know what an ideologue is ...you need to quit parking your brain at the door step of Rush Limbaugh and the bush culture and actually have an original thought.

President Bill Clinton:
    That debate, he said, has been sidelined by individuals who think they already have the answer. These individuals fail to listen to evidence or other views, and are unwilling to consider the consequences of their decisions, he added.
    It's the difference between the words "philosophy" and "ideology," Clinton explained.
    "If you have a philosophy, it generally pushes you in a certain direction or another," he said. When a person is open to discussion, argument, evidence and new learning, he said that individual may end up making a principled agreement with someone of a different philosophy.
    "The problem with ideology," he added, is that "you already have your mind made up. You know all the answers. And that makes evidence irrelevant and argument a waste of time. So you tend to govern by assertion and attack."

http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=19249

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

10. Magnetic Poles

Yep, that pretty much shows carpros slander about me for what it is, doesn't it. Never been a "stay the course" strategy? Exsqueeze me??? The only liars here are in the Bush Crime Family.

11. Magnetic Poles

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks for sharing the link Daisy.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Why keep arguing with the fool!

Why, Bush is clearly a liar! Why should we stop telling the truth?

14. Magnetic Poles

:BangHead: Because it feels so good when I stop! :laugh:

15. Magnetic Poles

Yes folks, the above is your brain on "Rush". Symptoms? Refusal to admit the President is lying about "Stay the Course" even when given documented video and written proof.

Don't let another person fall victim to this sad condition. Give what you can, but give generously. We want to wipe out Rush's Syndrome in our lifetime. With your help, we can do it.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What an assinine allegation! All you have is a minor nitpick that you turn into a character assassination - typical radical right-wing tactic.

Good.

17. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Gay is an adjective meaning "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"; however in modern usage, gay is a word usually used, as either a noun or adjective, to refer to same-sex sexual orientation — homosexuality.
    "Gay", when used as an adjective, sometimes describes traits associated with both queer, or homosexual, men and women, culture or lifestyle. The term lesbian, on the other hand, is used exclusively in a gender-specific way to describe women who prefer sexual relations with other women.

The meanings of words and phrases change.

Using the original meaning of the word "gay" one might say:

-"I am so gay today"
    -"I just want to be gay"
    -"I intend to continue being gay"

Then, when the meaning of the word changes, the same person could be totally honest when they say:

-"I have never been gay"
    -"I will never be gay"
    -"I don't think being gay is good"

That would not make the person a liar.

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He could be totally honest but he could just as easily, and more likely, be in the closet.

The word 'gay' has long had connotations of the sporting life, of licentiousness. It didn't change meaning over night, but gradually over decades the slang became the popular meaning.

Not so with "stay the course" which means today what it meant yesterday and last year. That, too, could change as now it is imbued with irony.

19. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Having addressed those throat-clearing items, lets return to Bush's bad logic. What's wrong with setting Cut and Run against Stay the Course as the two options available to us now? Cut and Run means we admit defeat and give up the fight. Stay the Course means we show resolve and pursue the fight to the end. But those aren't the only choices, or the only outcomes. Cut and Run actually means we fight where we should be fighting. Stay the Course actually means we continue a futile and weakening struggle amongst a population that does not want us. Bush says that his opponents want to admit defeat, and that his policies are the only road to victory. If you look at what he's done, though, Bush led us into defeat and characterized the calamity as a long hard struggle for democracy.

Copied from http://techwritepublishing.com/tlj/blog/2005_10_01_thelastjeffersonian_archive.html

As you can see above, Bush has his definitions of "Cut and Run vs Stay the Course", and his opposition has it's own definitions. "Stay the Course" has successfully been changed by the anti-Iraq war Democrats to mean "stubbornly continue the same failing policy, without changing even the most minute detail". I think this is what Bush was saying he has never "been". As dumb as you guys think Bush is, don't you think it was rather clever of him to say "been" instead of "said"?

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

You'll be shocked to learn that I agree with the quote above. :) I particularly agree with "But those aren't the only choices, or the only outcomes."

In rhetoric wars, one must never let one's opponents define the terms. You're half right in the redefinition, "stubbornly continue the same failing policy" is largely accurate while "without changing even the most minute detail" is an exaggeration added to make the whole phrase ridiculous.

No, I think it was confusing and ungrammatical. I don't know why he can't speak very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.