1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tebow to the Jets, NFL Hammers the Saints

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bobby Hamilton, Mar 21, 2012.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Tebow is now a Jet, barring any other snags.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Summer Training Camp is located at SUNY-Cortland - which is about half-way between the Salt City and the Parlor City.

3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

As a 36-year dedicated fan of the Bronco's, I'm sorry to see him go, and I feel it was a very short-sighted decision. I think Manning is an injury waiting to happen and for the NFL bargain price of $1.1 mil, EFX should have waited a year to see what Manning could teach Tebow. The young man hasn't even had a single off-season to practice with starters yet. :p

As far as Spygate, it's pretty naive to think every team in the NFL hasn't and doesn't continue to do the same thing the Patriots were caught at.

And bounties have been part of the game since the toughest high school football players got to date the best-looking cheerleaders. Scratch that...it goes back to gladiators that won in the arena being awarded female slaves for the night. Scratch that...it goes back to Israelite men being allowed to keep the young women that "knew no man" as spoils of war.

In football, the primary (and in a sense only) method of defense is to hit other players as hard as possible to stop the advance of the football, to affect their performance physically and/or psychologically, and, if at all possible, to send them to the bench/medics so you can work on their 2nd or 3rd string players, who presumably aren't as good as the starters. This is what defensive players are paid for, whether we call it a salary or an incentive or a bounty.

I'm all in favor of greater safety gear than is currently in use, but this is a sport based on war and violence, not cards dice.

#23 Chessic, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  4. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

I agree with you about it being short sighted. Not sure why you don't keep tebow, as he wasn't killing that much cap space.

As for the other stuff (the Pats cheating and the Saints bounty)...if we have learned one thing about organizations/the sanctioning bodies of the NFL, NCAA, MLB, etc....if you get caught doing something...DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT.

Come clean, apologize, say you'll fix it...and you are a lot less likely to get drilled big time.

Some organizations don't care so much that you cheat, but you better not lie to them about it when you get caught.

5. Bobby Hamilton

Bold 1: And I think that's why they basically got a "slap on the wrist"

Bold 2: I don't know if I agree with you 100% here. The primary goal of the defense is to keep the offense from scoring. Not to injure other players. The defensive players are paid to keep the offensive players out of the endzone. Now, while any means necessary is the option, playing with the intent to injure someone else I think is just wrong.

As I stated earlier, though, if one is doing so with no other incentive than what he's paid to do from his contract, so be it. But once individual bounties are placed and bonuses paid on that...that's where I have an issue.

#25 Bobby Hamilton, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  6. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I respect your opinion. As far as spygate and bounties are concerned, I'm sure the league feels it has to slap some wrists to have the appearance of trying to enforce the rules. The Saints coach's punishment seems a bit severe to me, but the climate is very injury-sensitive today. The league's situation reminds me of those accident lawyers that almost never go to court, but nearly always settle out of court; even they occasionally have to go to trial just to keep the other guys from thinking it'll never happen. But the frequent references to the Pats or Saints as cheaters galls me because of its hypocrisy.

In defense, yes the ultimate goal is to stop scores and ensure good field position. The method, however, needs to be to hit as hard as possible whenever possible, because offensive players rarely just lay down and say, "Yeah, you got me," when a defensive player gets a hand on them. Not to mention the need to hit hard because of the size, speed, and strength of modern offensive players. Arguing over where the pay comes from seems like quibbling to me, like two kids arguing over two pieces of candy that came from the same jar.

I think every pass rusher is trying to bury the opposing quarterback on every rushing play and the rest is just a matter of motivation. Perhaps teams need to create more extensive contract incentives and find other rewards for aggressive play. Or perhaps it's the specific targets rather than the general position target that bothers people. Instead of, "You get $1k every time you knock down Farve," it should be, "You get $1k every time you knock down a quarterback." I dunno. "Taking a player out," so that he has to leave the game seems overly rough, but I don't know how else to play a game this violent.

7. Bobby Hamilton

I agree with this...but I also think the intent to hurt isn't always there. I played defense in HS...was a pretty decent corner, I was fortunate to blitz a lot, but I never wanted to hurt anyone.

These guys get large sums of money to simply play. The fact that a juvenile system for "bounties" was in play just seems crazy. I'd imagine anyone that was involved is making well over league minimum, so I don't even understand the appeal to this.

These guys are paid to play defense and keep the other guys out of the endzone. If the Saints went 0-16, gave up 42 points a game, but injured 8 starting QB's...that still wouldn't be considered a success.

I like hard hitting action. And I'm really okay with any kind of self motivation. Just seems to me like this bounty would be like offering Michael Jordan an extra 100 bucks each time he dunked. I mean, what's the point?

8. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Maybe you've convinced me. :)

I think players should play like professionals with some sense of sportsmanship. I just think the state of the game now is such that harder is always better, by most coach, player, and fan reckoning.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Though I am a democrat(conservative one that is), I was channelling my inner "Richard Nixon"; let me make this one thing perfectly clear!! :laugh:

10. Bobby Hamilton

I think you're completely right.

Once we see something can be accomplished, we want to see more of it. It's a natural progression.

I love hard hits as much as anyone. But the "play like professionals" is key I think.