1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Techies, please help!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't know if this is possible, but here's the problem.

On Wednesday evening, my daughter got an ipod touch.
    On Thursday morning, she was working as an assistant teaching orchestra, set it down behind her on the filing cabinet for ONE sectional (3-5 minutes) and when they were done, everyone got up, she turned around to pick it back up and someone had stolen it.

She didn't have time to get it registered on i-cloud or anything, though she does have a ping number from Pinger.

We have the box, which has the serial number and model number.

I thought there should be a way to ping it and find the location with the serial number.

Is there?

I did file a police report. They said they don't know how and asked me to do it and call them. LOL

We tried to call Apple to report it, since they allegedly can monitor the serial number and tell police the location, so long as the person using it has it turned on. We couldn't reach a live person at Apple or get through the automated system. Argh!

Anyone have any ideas for how to trace it?

The person who stole it is likely between 12 and 14 and was dumb enough to steal it, so I'm guessing they'll be trying their hardest to use it and be trying to download music and may not put the effort in to try to not use it from an obvious location.

Ticked off because she saved for a long time for this and we got her a nice case, an extended two year warranty, and a $25 music download card to boot. That's about $300 down the drain, stolen by someone my daughter was spending her time on this summer trying to help them learn and have fun during music camp. GRRRR!

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yeah, we have the box so we have the serial number. Apple won't even take reports of stolen devices, they just say to contact the police, so we're out of luck since there wasn't time to register it on i-cloud, which would have allowed us to trace it.

I've been looking at lots of stuff and guess that's about that.

Ah well. Such is life.

It's a shame that Apple has the ability to easily trace any activity and report where it is coming from, but won't do it with stolen products. Guess it makes good business sense though...they probably make a lot more out of people buying replacements than out of losses from people ticked off enough to not buy Apple products anymore.