1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ted Cruz Going on ObamaCare

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Mar 24, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (CNN)Ted Cruz is going on Obamacare.

The newly announced Republican presidential candidate told CNN's Dana Bash on Tuesday that he will sign up for health care coverage through the Affordable Care Act -- a law he has been on a crusade to kill.

"We'll be getting new health insurance and we'll presumably do it through my job with the Senate, and so we'll be on the federal exchange with millions of others on the federal exchange," Cruz said.

Will he take a subsidy from the Federal government?

"I believe we should follow the text of the law," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-obamacare/index.html

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The media has been jumping all over this like Cruz has repudiated his position.

I am no fan of Ted Cruz. I have voted for his opponents at every opportunity, but he needs to be treated fairly.

Obamacare is the law, and he has to purchase insurance or be fined. Just because he is an opponent of the law doesn't mean he is exempt from the law.

It's just like someone being against a tax increase. Just because it passes and you don't think it is right, doesn't mean you are exempt from paying the additional taxes.

If he didn't purchase insurance, he would be beaten by his opponents for disobeying the laws he doesn't like. If he obeys that law, his dishonest opponents will portray him as hypocritical and beat him mercilessly about it. The whole point is that people want to beat him and the only newsworthy thing about this is what stick his opponents are going to beat him with.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't need to buy insurance on the ObamaCare exchanges. He could buy insurance as a private citizen from an insurance company. So, yes, he's being hypocritical.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so sure about that.

I just tried my insurance company's site to check into buying insurance. Because the open enrollment period has ended, I have to go through the exchange.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Minnesota you can buy short term insurance: 30, 60, 90 days, and have it auto-renew until open enrollment rolls around. It's for people in between jobs and such. In fact, I think you can buy health insurance year round in Minnesota.

6. targus

targus New Member

Actually it is the exact opposite of hypocritical.

It was the Republicans that said that Congress should be subject to the same laws that the Democrats dumped on the American public.

The hypocritical Democrats wanted to exempt themselves from the disaster known as Obamacare.

Cruz isn't signing up for Obamacare because there is some sort of advantage in doing so. It's not like he will be getting a subsidy to pay the overpriced premiums for the subpar coverage and astronomical deductibles.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't have to buy ObamaCare. He can get an insurance policy through an insurance company.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    en

Even if the rates went thur the roof

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repeating your assertion doesn't make it true.

Minnesota is not Texas or Washinton DC. Insurance laws and availability are different state to state.

10. targus

targus New Member

Evidently you do not understand the meaning of the word "hypocrisy".

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it be campaigning for the Presidency on repealing ObamaCare, "every word of it", on Monday and then signing up for it on Tuesday?

12. targus

targus New Member

I suppose that a superficial non-thinking person could come to that conclusion.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why, Targus, thanks for the compliment. That's one.

14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know how it works in Texas but in Arizona the only way I could figure out how to buy any insurance was through the exchange website. Besides Obamacare is not insurance that you can buy, its the law that says that everyone had to buy insurance.
    Now I've already said I don't think he can rum since he was not born in the US but it is not hypocritical for him to follow the law, while trying to change it. It is Republican after all that have stated that congress should not be except from laws they pass, ( although as any honest person knows the Republicans had absolutely nothing to do with ObamaCare, that is all on the Democrats).

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

His assertion is still true. He could get insurance from a number of places. He's a Senator. Insurance companies will work with him.

Besides. I thought his wife was some sort of director at Goldman Sachs. She's got insurance for the family if he wants it and they probably were using it until he decided to announce for President and she took her leave of absence.

Somehow, considering her position at Goldman Sachs, I think she could probably take leave and keep her family's insurance.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave of absence usually means no perks or benefits. Besides I thought all the politicians were on Obamacare?

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not hypocritical ITL, if the exchange insrance costs more than Obamacare? After all, he is supposedly going from two paychecks (his and wifey) to his, and we know Senators make so little!

I do agree he is putting on a show, though. I am sure there are donors that will pay his benefits as he runs for office!

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exchange insurance is ObamaCare.

It's a public relations stunt. It's what he does to draw attention to himself. Like when he filibustered the Senate during the government shutdown by reading Dr. Seuss books.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I was thinking.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what positions that he holds to do you oppose?