1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Television... do YOU watch it?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Copper, May 26, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It would be nice if we could just pay for the channles that we want to watch. I am sure they have the technology to offer that kind of service.

2. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

4His_glory, I am certain as well that they have the technology, but they are not going to offer it unless forced to do so.

Realistically, I know that's never going to happen.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thom

My attitude exactly ...

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have different "packages" available where I live. However, each package contains some channels in which I'm not interested at all...but I do have a TUNER on the TV, so I can watch/not watch as I please.

One thing TV has us avid sports fans addicted to...INSTANT REPLAY. It makes me much more aware when I watch an event live, knowing that if they don't have one of those advanced scoreboards with replays, I'd better not miss anything.

My ISP is through the cable, and is MUCH-faster than any other present form of ISP that I know of.

How can YOU make a difference in what's offered on TV? By being a willing participant in the Neilsen survey and others like it, especially local ones. Write/email the SPONSORS of garbage shows, using no uncertain terms when expressing your opinion, and compliment the sponsors of shows you like, even if they also sponsor trash. NAME THE SHOWS in question! Networks listen to the SPONSORS much more than they do the viewers, while the sponsors listen to their customers much more than they do the TV people. NEVER THINK YOUR VOICE DOESN'T MATTER! More than one sponsor has reacted to JUST ONE CUSTOMER'S VOICE that they've found especially poignant as most likely a representative voice of the majority of their customers. Silence will get you nowhere, as the purveyors of bunk and its viewers are anything but quiet. If they don't SEE/READ any opposition, they're gonna go right on with whatever they're doing.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well college football has started again, so not much else is worth watching now.

6. JulieMarie

JulieMarie New Member

I like tv, I watch tv, probably watch too much tv.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree. I am part of the Neilson surveys and I write to sponsors all the time.

We have 'basic' cable and I block out the channels which are not worth watching. But it 'irks' me that I still have to pay for the channels that carry filth. :mad:

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I Am Blessed,

how did you become part of Nielsen? Ive always wanted a chance to do that.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't really know! They just sent me some information and asked if I'd like to be part of the panel.

I also am part of the Neilsen consumer panel. They sent me a scanner and I scan everything I buy (from whatever kind of store) and transmit the information via my computer, before I put it away.

You might try looking for their web site. I only have the web site URL for the consumer panel.

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I watch the news, PBS, some Christian television, and of course being from the Pittsburgh area, I watch sports.

But I don't have cable TV. Thay could enslave me too much to the TV.

I decided when I became a Christian to use that cable money to adopt a child from Food For the Hungry instead. See gets to eat and learn about the Lord, and I get more time to read the Word and, well, post here. [​IMG]

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

The internet could enslave you as well. Maybe even more so than TV.

There are many things we can do without and spend our money towards helping the needy. I commend your way of doing it.

TV companies could not survive offering a la carte on all channels. Newpapers could not survive offering the comics only. Your local telephone company can't survive charging you just for the amount of time you make local calls. They all offer a service that gives some sense of value to more than just one interest.

I like news, you like sports, she likes the weather, they have kids.

I will say all news, entertainment and info outlets depend on subscribers. If you want to send a message, don't subscribe.

12. standingfirminChrist

Very seldom do we turn on the TV. I watched some educational programs late last night and some news clips. Not much worth watching any more