1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tell it Like it is

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pioneer, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

And let me guess, it is only the "what you call" the KJBO?

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.
    Yes because we have over 5000 mss that vary with each other along with 12000 ancient handcopied translations and 12000 citations by early church writers- which again vary in wording but generally not in substance.
    None that I am aware of but I never claimed this was a biblical belief nor did I cut KJVO's off from proving their beliefs from an honest treatment of historical/mss evidence. My belief is based on the evidence with overriding respect given to scripture.

Let me explain. Scriptural facts:
    1-God inspired His Word through the original writers (prophets, holy men, Apostles, and those writing under Apostolic authority),
    2-God is perfect therefore anything He directly inspires (breathes) is also perfect,
    3-divine inspiration of scripture ceased with the deaths of the Apostles,
    4-and God promised to preserve His Word for His people.

Evidential facts:
    1-there are variants in all of the extant mss evidence,
    2-obvious deviations and errors are identifiable by comparing mss with each other and other evidence,
    3-when these obvious problems are eliminated less than 5% (some say less than 1%) of the exact wording of the originals is still in question,
    4-allowing any subset of the available options on the uncertain texts will not effect any biblical doctrine.
    5-there is a difference between one's word and their words.
    6-we no longer have the words God inspired however we can be absolutely certain that we have His Word because of the overwhelming agreement of the evidence.

I believe from the Bible that God preserved His Word. I observe from the historical facts of biblical mss transmission that He did not choose to do it by a continuous line of perfect facsimiles descending from the original documents.

If in fact I did harbor such a belief, I would none the less be precluded from KJVOnlyism since the KJV contains text that has zero mss support such as "God forbid" in Romans and "book of life" in Rev 22:19. These two facts alone means that the KJV cannot be descended from a "perfect line" of mss since no mss exists that contains this text.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree... Close it!... Or it will become just like the Civil War... Brother against brother!... Brother Glen :(

4. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

My friend, you seem to be a sensible and fair-minded person. I can understand why you're considering leaving this board. Those attributes aren't too popular around here. ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I have SO figured that out.
    [​IMG]

5. AV Defender

AV Defender New Member

I'm sorry,but again you're wrong.I gave a list of Papyri in a previous thread that supported those readings.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

:rolleyes:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry,but again you're wrong.I gave a list of Papyri in a previous thread that supported those readings. [/QUOTE]

I've missed that. Would you please show me where the word "God" or "forbid" are found in the Greek in ANY document?

Thanks. Let's keep this civil or I'll jump in and close it myself!

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

And a short list it was! Yet you accuse MV users of going with the minority of readings like it is a bad thing, and you do it yourself!

Neal

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Arubian Baptist writes:

&gt;&gt;So what you did, I did it also...you did not
    &gt;&gt;refute me biblicaly, so I took it as an
    &gt;&gt;admission that I was right!!

Uh, yeah, right.
    Despite perpetually extolling the virtues of the KJV, you have yet to prove with Scripture
    the doctrinal validity of KJV-Onlyism.......

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Done and done. Reprise the theme song and roll the credits [​IMG]