1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tell me this is not worshipping Mary

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Nov 2, 2016.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A Catholic friend just posted this on Facebook and she said something about "Isn't this so beautiful?" I got the chills. This is frightening and heartbreaking. There is no way this is just "honoring" Mary. It's all out worship. :(

(let me know if you can see this - it's a Facebook video and I got the link to go to it directly but I'm not sure if it works)

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, I can't see it. But I'm using an ad-blocker and I'm not on Facebook.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I think it's this year's procession celebrating the appearance of Mary at Fatima. Here is a youtube video with the same thing. You can start it at about 33 minutes into it to see the actual procession. What the video on Facebook says (it was posted on the page for "Our Loving Mother - Blessed Virgin Mary") is "The devotion to Mary, beautiful!". :(

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could see it. Very troubling.
    Of course, it's not even Mary they're worshipping; it's an statue of a woman with a crown on her head that they make believe is Mary.
    'The idols of the nations are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
    They have mouths but they do not speak;
    Eyes they have but they do not hear;
    They have ears but they do not hear;
    Nor is there any breath in their mouths.
    Those who make them are like them; so is everyone who trusts in them'
    (Psalm 135:15-18).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm Catholic. We don't worship Mary.

You call that worship? Nothing near Catholic worship.

This is Catholic worship and in each one of them is Jesus Christ, so you have good grounds to say we worship everyone:

Mother_Teresa_feeding_the_poor.jpg

feeding_hungry.jpg

2058_homeless_connect_06-1024x682.jpg

PS, we don't want or expect salvation for this, we do it for free.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you don't think that display was worship, you are sorely delusional.

7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all, do you know the Fatima story? Do you discount the eyewitness testimony of over 30,000 people including unbiased newspaper reporters and photographers who said the sun "rotated like a wheel and changed colors"?

So no, for the hundredth thousand time Catholics and our Eastern Orthodox brethren do not worship Mother Mary, only God in the form of Jesus Christ!

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are statues of famous Americans in Washington, D.C. and we don't worship them either.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As I said, if that is not worship, I don't know what is.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Close, but no cigar.

People don't pray to these statues, claim them to be "alive" and sinless, nor do they believe these statues to have brought the message of salvation to people as in with the Fatima experience.

Surely you know the difference. I mean no disrespect, but can you explain to me the difference between this "hallowed" image of Mary being carried around and exalted and the golden calf in the Bible in terms of what makes one an idol and one not an idol?

To me, they are the exact same thing.

Isaiah 46:7 - "The carry it [the idol] around on their shoulders and when they set it down, it stays there. It can't even move. And when someone prays to it, there is no answer. It cannot rescue anyone from trouble."

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm quite familiar with the Fatima story. I believe it really happened just as described.

Only I'm convinced that because the MESSAGE from "Mary" is 100% opposed to what God says that the experience was not of God, but of the devil masquerading as an "angel of the light".

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone - truly.

I just have to ask - are YOU familiar with what "Mary" taught that day?

I'm not trying to derail this thread, so I am starting a new one with the message from "her" in its entirety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes many many Catholics worship Mary. The op is a clear example.

13. utilyan

Site Supporter

Like you said, You don't know worship is. Worship is kindness love and compassion.

What do you give God when you worship?

Anything about your "WORSHIP" that is not Love is trash.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

15. utilyan

Site Supporter

What I think you guys need to have look at is the word "worship". Cause I can point to the cross and say that is perfect worship. Love of Neighbor and Love God is right there and one.

You have a better example, show it to me.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is you take the ideas Love of neighbor and God and try to wrap the whole of worship up in that. What you have done is taken ways in which it is expressed and made that the definition. Sorry, expression and definition are not the same thing. You try hard to defend your church but your attempts are less than sophomoric. You do not really understand what worship is.

Answer me this, how does someone worship a false idol? How do false religions engage in worship of their false God?

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do it for free? Looks like alms before men, you even have a picture to prove it.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So the pagan who feeds the homeless is worshipping God? The heathen who takes care of a puppy is worshipping God? I think you need to go back to Scripture to find out what really worshipping the Lord God Almighty is about.

19. utilyan

Site Supporter

Rev,<-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now I am going to provide you scripture showing love of God. The connection with love of neighbor.

ANY WORSHIP that is not LOVE is TRASH <--- this challenged has you whipped?

"Answer me this, how does someone worship a false idol? How do false religions engage in worship of their false God?"

The very moment you commit a sin of any kind it is idolatry. You found something more important then God. Every sin breaks the first. That's why we can condense it all into one command.

The very last time you sinned it was worship of a false idol. His name could have been greed, vanity, fear.

Galatians 5

14For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.”

John 14
    15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

Annsi,<-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

When Jesus Christ gave an example of Agape, love of neighbor and love of God. He chose very hated Samaritans who desecrated God's temple.

Luke 10

25And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” 27And he answered, “YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” 28And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE.” 29But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
    30Jesus replied and said, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead. 31“And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32“Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33“But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, 34and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35“On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.’ 36“Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?37And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.”

Jonshaff<-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

"You do it for free? Looks like alms before men, you even have a picture to prove it."
    We already got our reward.........
    what's the penalty or that one? I'll take it.

I rather be a hypocrite doing some thing right then a critic who does no thing right.

God knows our hearts right?

Matthew 5
    14“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

#19 utilyan, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, there is nothing worse than some one who is sincere about their false worship. It's difficult to pull that person out of that false religion because they are genuinely motivated to doing what they think is right. "There is a way that seems right to man, but the end is the way of death..."