1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tell me what you think

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Havensdad, Oct 8, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Uh...OK? What does that have to do with the fact the fonts there play with the eyes? And edgy 'cutting edge' isn't taking place there. It looks retro like some poorly designed sites of the past, as in some example links we've shared. It's not that bad, it just needs tweaked some to be easier on the eyes as far as for readability. My opinion is no different than your opinion below. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#41 preacher4truth, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is good advice. I had a bolder font, but when I tested it on some browsers, the quality degrades, and looks bad.

Perhaps if I reversed the colors, and had a white box with black font?

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yeah...no it doesn't. You might think it looks bad, but it does not look like a site with a bunch of highlighted yellow text.

You have already said you don't like the yellow. We get it.

Actually, it is. You referenced subpoint fonts on the left, he is referring to the white text on black background on the right. I don't believe he said the text on the left was difficult to see.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fascinating, Can you give me a compost description (sketch) as to what this person looks like spiritually, intellectually, age, etc., cause thats your target audience correct? Also, attached is a church called "LIQUID" that is emerging in New Jersey. Id like your opinion of it & if you think there are any drawbacks .....and do you think that "Long Term" they will be successful? Thanks

http://www.liquidchurch.com/locations/morristown/

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

See my edited response. I've never said I don't like yellow. You're being unduly defensive again, and not using facts. Get it straight. :thumbs:

Actually it's no different than his. You get confused and think people made statements they haven't made. Like the yellow comment, and the one below...

I understand which box he was referring to. It's about readability. Who said it was hard to see? Hard to read. Readability.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not defensive just because I don't agree with you.

Actually, its completely different. He wanted a bolder font on the dark background...the fonts you are referencing are bigger, and are already a bold font.

I understand if you cannot read it, I just don't understand why. Do you have poor vision? The text is a bold, large, bright font. I am not sure how its possible to get it to stand out more.

Yeah, but his comment made sense. He is talking about a non-bolded white font, on a black background, in 12 point font. I looked at it, and said, "Yeah, that is kinda hard to read." You are talking about a bolded 14 point font, that I look at, and say "How can that be hard for anyone to read?"

Frankly, I am beginning to see why you drew similarities between this:

Horribly disorganized site with displaced highlighted text

and this:

Well Organized site, with color scheme and content you don't personally like

Have you even looked at the site since I redid it? Just curious.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The colours are too bright for me. It looks a little 'too edgy.' It hurts my eyes. I would not browse the site. But that is just a difference in taste.

My main issue is the same as above. I am 58, wear varifocals, and found the white on black very hard to read, especially on my iPad

#47 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 9, 2013
  8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Thanks for the input! I am going to work on the white on black font. I think I am going to make all the text boxes white; it seems to look good on the one page I have it already.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking better....one final suggestion....the bottom text is white against yellow. Change the lettering...maybe the red border Color of some of the boxes..

Done here...good luck.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Thanks! The bottom text is meant to be unreadable. It is to improve search engine optimization. I would change it to yellow, so it is completely hidden, but the search engines (most of them) are programmed to ignore text that is the same color as the background.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks better, but now I think the yellow is too dominate/bright. I would mute it a bit, but again, I'm in my 50's, so probably not the target audience.

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am doing a couple of adjustments...scattering some darker images and watermarks in the background, and adjusting the text boxes a bit.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Havensdad, I think your content, for now, is more important than your aesthetics, and I'd again encourage you to think about that. The website looks good. I just think you're going to be disappointed. Some of those t-shirts, for example, are pretty extreme.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hadn't even looked at the merchandise. WHOA!

Under Tee-Shirts, Abortion:
    "If You Think Killing Someone is a Fundamental Right, Let's Start With You."

Ummm...advocating murder on a Christian website, I don't know, probably--A SIN?!

You might want to rename your site: InYourFaceMinistries.com

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Its called sarcasm.

Anyone that looks at that shirt, and says, "That person is seriously wanting to kill abortion proponents" needs to be hit in the head with a tack hammer.

I bet if someone made a shirt that said, "If you think Works like circumcision saves you, why don't you go ahead and emasculate yourself?" People would be saying, "That is so unchristian!" ...even though the apostle Paul said it under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

#55 Havensdad, Oct 9, 2013
  16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

You might think so. I think they are exactly what is called for...I think that wishy-washy, touchy feel-y, politically correct, "Hallmark Christianity" needs to DIE.

Paul was pretty extreme when he told the circumcision party to emasculate themselves. Or when he called Elymas an enemy of righteousness, and struck him blind. Nowadays, folks like yourself would look at Paul, and tell him he just needs to "be nice" and "love people into the kingdom."

Jesus was RUDE. Paul was DIRECT. We should follow their examples, not teachings of Postmodernism. :tonofbricks:

17. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I think people being "offended" at everything, and taking themselves too seriously, needs to be confronted head on."

Uuuuuuummmm. yep.

Let me say, the site is you.

Personally, speaking as an old guy, I might look around but doubt I'd go back due to many of the reasons already listed.

#57 exscentric, Oct 9, 2013
  18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Sorry, I am just doing too many things at once. I read you wrong.

#58 Havensdad, Oct 9, 2013
  19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

But if the content for sale is good enough, and what someone wants (particularly for cheap church media/videos), I think someone that did not like the site, would still tolerate it, to purchase something they really wanted/needed.

For instance, a nice ppt video loop On sermon spice, can cost upwards of 12 dollars a piece. Not even getting into the content issue (which is the main driver of the site), If I am able to produce videos of equal quality, and sell them for 3 dollars (which is about all the producers on Sermon Spice end up with, because of the overhead and fees), wouldn't you tolerate the site for a few minutes a week, to save 9 bucks?

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, said to the hard-headed Galatians for shock value.

I would venture to say that if someone wore some of those tee-shirts in public they would get beat up.

[Oh, and I'll allow your response to stand as the last word, since I know how important that is to you.]