1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tell the Truth by Will Metzger Calvinist evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 15, 2014.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I bought (except in "good" condition).

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC, I think the above is "spot on." But you may have hidden meanings, if we delved into what you meant by the use of some of your words, that I would disagree with.

For example "draw" is used metaphorically in scripture to mean to attract by lovingkindness, rather than drag by irresistible grace.

Evangelism is more than proclaiming what we believe is the gospel, we are to "bear witness" with our lives, i.e. walk the talk, and we are to bring to light the good news, which includes laying the foundation of why it is "good news."

#22 Van, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once again, you are not addressing the views expressed.

I could say, yes I have read it, but that would be a tad disingenuous. My copy is not dog-eared, I have not studied it. If you have a copy and would like to refer to a section by title, i.e. Packaging the Gospel, then I will address the book's view specifically.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line (as you love to repeatedly say) --you have misrepresented yourself. You have not read it much less studied it. Yet you presume to make pronouncements on it in post #10.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another malicious fabrication, I have read the book, just not every word or diagram in the book.

I specially addressed bogus assertions made in the book. Now if you want to discuss the views found in the book, have at it.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good let's chat when it arrives.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    peter's remarks to us be able to give a good report to someone asking what we believe and why, along with paul stating that we are living epistles to be seen by the unsaved, seem to argue for personal friendship type evangelism!

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That's because you take scripture out of context or build an entire doctrine on a isolated passage of scripture and miss out the scope of Biblical theology.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Van. By "draw" I mean draw. No necessarily metaphorically, but as God working within the lives and wills of human beings towards salvation. Whether it is to attract by lovingkindness or perhaps a time of persuasion, it is God drawing people. To take it to irresistible grace in terms of evangelism is not relevant, so I can comfortably say that in terms of evangelism we would agree that "draw" means pretty much the same thing (beyond that we may differ). But no hidden meanings on my part.

I agree 100% with your last statement. I read the other "To Tell the Truth" book and the author is really advocating friendship evangelism as those who practice this type of evangelism view it. He does reject evangelism that is absent of presenting the gospel...but then I suppose it wouldn't be evangelism (it'd just be "friendship"). In that book he goes into detail about how Jesus took the time to interact and be a part of people's lives on a 1:1 basis. I was not planning on buying another book on evangelism...but John intrigued me...so it's on the way.

#29 JonC, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are also commanded to be at peace with all others, if possible, and to be the light and salt before them...

Seems that the entire biblical scope idsto have persons spoken to about jesus whom we have relationships with!

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are your own words from post #23:
    "I could say, yes I have read it, but that would be a tad disingenuous."

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, "Tell the Truth" arrived today. I have started it...made good progress (there really isn't anything "new" so far, but I do like his presentation) and will be able to discuss it late tomorrow or early Monday.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Started new there. Reformed evangelism shows up all over the book I don't know how you could miss it.