1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Temple Baptist Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know anything about the distance learning program of Temple Baptist Seminary? I am not looking into the school personally but I have noticed that it does not get as much attention as Liberty, Luther Rice, and Southern Evangelical. It seems to offer the same type degree(s) that Luther Rice does however. Maybe that is why we don't hear much about it (it is over-shadowed by Luther Rice)?

Warren Wiersbe serves thsi school as the adjunct professor of Biblical Studies. I also noticed that Wiersbe only has a ThB...

Th.B., Northern Baptist Seminary; D.D., Tennessee Temple University; D.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School; Litt.D., Cedarville College

The rest seem honorary. Strange I never knew that about him. I do enjoy his commentary series on the New Testament.

In Christ,
    Martin.

2. Nord

Nord New Member

Temple Baptist is small but well respected. Even Steve Levicoff who wrote a scathing book on Christian distance education spoke well of the school even before it got accreditation.

North

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Martin, I'm not sure that the degree you cited, the Th.B., is necessarily what you seem to think it may be. It is only in the last several years that that the M.Div. has become standard nomenclature, almost universally. The 'standard' 3 yr. seminary degree has had several different designations over the years, including B.D., S.T.B., and Th.B. depending on the institution, involved. What we now commonly know as Th.M. at one time was designated Th.B. as well by some institutions. My own grandfather had an earned doctorate, many years ago. The nomenclature that he received was a D.D.. At the time I graduated college, the M.Div. was starting to become the usual nomenclature, although several institutions still were dispensing the B.D. degree. Dallas and Southern Seminaries, for example do not grant these days a Th.D., although both formerly did. The same degree today is called a Ph.D.. Just a bit of information. In the case of Warren Wiersbe, I'm fairly sure the doctorates are honorary.
    In His grace,
    Ed

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been a lot of years, but I took a semester at Temple seminary after college at Temple, another on our first furlough, and a module on our second furlough in 1992. All of my experience there was good, but it has been a few years. My uncle is still there, Dr. Roger Martin, an excellent teacher, but he is almost blind and no doubt will retire as soon as God can pry his hands from the plow. Dr. James Price has just retired I understand. So the old guard is being replaced. I recommend talking to people who are there right now. Maybe someone will reply to this thread? [​IMG]

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

A few years ago, I knew or knew about, most of the folks at Temple. However, they have recently had quite a bit of turnover. As John said, the old guard, many of whom I admired and respected, have retired (I suppose this says something about me too). It's hard to make sound judgments when so many things have changed. However, this is not to say anything bad or negative. It is just that it is too early to tell. The newer people do seem to be well qualified academically.