1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Commandment Day - Ok?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Mar 13, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    May 7, 2006 we (in America) will be celebrating "Ten Commandment Day"

http://www.tencommandmentsday.com/index.html?http%3A//www.tencommandmentsday.com/10CDay.html

A few on this board have been totally opposed to God's Law when it comes to the Creator's own Ten Commandments. Does that mean that some Christians will welcome the celebration of His Word in the Ten Commandments and others will condemn it?

The command to "Keep God's Commandments" occurs in both OT and NT - yet the record shows that many in both OT and NT strongly objected to that command - and many still do to this very day.

So is this a time for Christians and Agnostics to join in opposition to the Creator's Law?

OR is this a time for differences to show up between Christians and agnostics as would be the case on the national day of prayer?

Speaking of NT saints and their opinions - Are the Ten Commandments of God "a good thing" according to Romans 7?

In Christ,

Bob

2. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the Ten Commandments should be followed by all Christians. This seems very clear to me from the Bible.

That not withstanding, there is not one of us who will follow them flawlessly in this life, because we still have the old nature to contend with.

Also, Paul never says that the law is bad. He says that it is good. If not for the law, sin would have no effect, but that is not due to a flaw in the law, but rather the flaw in us.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, are you ready to start stoning those who flick on the light switch on Saturday?

5. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that misses the point entirely.

Nobody said we should be subject to the law and its penalties. Just that we should endeavor to keep it to the extent God gives grace to. Salvation isn't about doing your own thing and it's okay because your forgiven anyway. God's law is good, just unattainable for us.

By the way, before someone asks, I am not speaking of the ceremonial law here. I am simply stating that as Christ said, the whole of the law is summed up in "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and might" and "love your neighbor as yourself". We should be endeavoring to do this as Christians.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The argument against God's Ten Commandments is typically of the form that we see above -- "it was a bad idea God had - and now we should not let Him think it might still be a good idea".

Those attacks on God's Law are very superficial. Better to embrace the Word of God - as that is the form the the Creator's Law takes.

7. Tazman

Tazman New Member

I believe the new testament is all about the 10 commandment.

Also, the 10 commandment as I understand it, is separate of the Mosaic law.

Below is a link of a study done (I usually never do this, but I think its good info):

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/different_laws.html

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, do you rest completely from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday? Do you turn off all electricity (after all, that takes labor to maintain), don't use the water faucet, don't drive to church, etc.?

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No! Not the Ten Commandments; "the" commandment is said to be good, here, and I believe in another place is said "The law" is good, referring to the entire Mosaic law. "It's all good!", as the popular saying goes.
    Ed

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just my $.02. I think it's silly. Most Christians don't even agree if the Ten Commandments are still in full effect and force for the Christian today. Besides, the JW wannabes on this board will come up with some silly reason why we shouldn't celebrate holidays of any kind.

I have no need to celebrate or commemorate the commendments. I do, however, attempt to the best of my imperfect human ability, to adhere to them, as I do all of God's commandments, callings, adminitions, and implications. Again, just my $.02.

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Hope of Glory,

You should keep the Sabbath just like Jesus kept it.

The idea is to spend the day devoted to pondering God as your Creator, and not to your every day work.

But if someone is in need on Sabbath you should help them.

It's simple [​IMG]

Jesus came to magnify the Law and show how it ought to be kept, instead of man's traditions. The people had left out love to God and love to your neighbor.

Claudia

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I think that the sudden interest in keeping the 10 commandments doesnt really have anything to do with the 10 commandments, for most all the Christian world has been claiming the 10 commandments were "nailed to the cross".

I think this sudden interest in keeping the 10 commandments has to do with an underlying real motivation which is to push the Sunday Sabbath on the world. And of course you cannot do that if you tell people they dont have to keep the commandments.

It'll be quite a trick, thats for sure, to claim on the one hand that keeping the law doesnt matter but then that keeping the Sunday Sabbath does.

Especially when the usual train of thought is that the Sunday Sabbath represents to them the idea that Jesus is resurrected and thus this means we no longer have to keep the law.

The entire thing is contradictory.

Many out there in the world can see what's coming
    http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org/nsl-toon.gif

Claudia

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they are correct. You have missed the point entirely.
    The Ten Commandments are what makes up the moral laws as differentiated from the ceremonial law.
    It is why Paul calls it good, because it exposes the sin in men, not the effects of sin in men.
    I think it is just as right to ask you in turn, that since you feel the way you do, then would you take what you want from somebody else just because you like it ?
    Would you murder your enemies or other people simply because you feel they have crossed the line with you ?
    Would you commit fornication with other husbands' wives because you feel lust toward them ?
    Would you snub your neighbor, give him 'the stare', just because he has more goods than you do ?
    Would you miss church just because you feel it's not really important to go, or you're not feeling up to it ?
    Would you kick your father around, slap your mother, and generally dishonor them because they haven't met your expectations ?
    Would you cuss out another person and then a minute later offer prayers in Jesus' name ?

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if that is right. But I think it is the 'baby Christians' so-called, the new converts with still little instruction, who make these claims.
    As far as I know, every Christian I met, electionist or 'whosoever', understood that the moral law has not been superceded by anything, only the penalties for its violation, which was taken by Christ unto Himself in behalf of His people.
    If anything, the moral law has become more binding to the believer since he is now under grace and conviction.
    Paul says in Romans 3:3
    "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law".

Without a doubt, there are heresies that have crept in, such as antinomianism, which teaches that since we are saved by grace thru faith, we can and may live any kind of life we choose to live and not worry about repercussions of breaking God's laws.

But, despite the diversities of Baptists, I don't think there is one single Baptist preacher of any stripe in this Baptist Board that teaches the moral laws are no longer relevant to the Christian life.
    The ceremonial laws, yes.

15. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is an interesting site!

Here is a Baptist one that has some good info on the 10 Commandments!

http://www.seventhdaybaptist.org/

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There is no such thing.

The only commandments that we are given to obey are to "Love the Lord thy God" and to "Love thy Neighbor". We are not under the 10 Commandments. The Sabbath rest was never given to anyone but the Jews.

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Jesus said when you see Him you have seen the Father, and so you can keep the Sabbath and you dont have to strain at gnats like the Pharisees did and refuse to turn on a light switch.

Jn:14:9: Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

18. wopik

wopik New Member

Which TEN. Most people only keep nine.

Even the 4th one -- keep the seventh day holy.

The 4th one is jewish, but the rest are okay?

Christian ministers preach AGAINST the 4th Commandment.

Therefore, they preach sinning against the laws of God.

It's dangerous to teach REBELLION AGAINST THE LORD:

"Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will cast you from off the face of the earth: this year you shall die, because you have taught rebellion against the LORD."

Jeremiah 28:16

19. wopik

wopik New Member

BOLDERDASH!!!

Instituted at Creation, reaffirmed to Israel as a part of the covenant at Sinai and taught by Jesus Christ who is the Messenger of the New Covenant, the observance of the Sabbath is considered basic to a Christian's relationship with God.

"The Sabbath was made for man..." - Mark 2:27-28.

The New Testament discussions and examples concern how to keep the Sabbath (in spirit rather than in a rigid, legalistic manner), not whether to keep it.

Christ's own example of attending the weekly synagogue is significant. In Luke 4, Jesus attends the synagogue on the Sabbath day in His own city "as His custom was" (v. 16).

It is, therefore, impossible to over emphasize the importance of Christ's own example since He told His disciples to teach all nations those things that He had commanded them (Mt. 28:20).

http://intercontinentalcog.org/ICGCC/Lesson_Seven.shtml

20. Tazman

Tazman New Member

That is an interesting site!

Here is a Baptist one that has some good info on the 10 Commandments!

http://www.seventhdaybaptist.org/
    </font>[/QUOTE]Can you post the exact link - must have missed it, thanks