1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Commandments Pre cross - Questions

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

SFIC et. al.
    I will make it simple for you:

Brother Bob said:
    "Because the Ten are the ones the Lord came preaching"

Jesus said:
    Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were UNTIL John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

He also said:
    John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

And
    John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Now you can believe what you want, but I will believe the words of Jesus. I will believe John when he gives the stated purpose for writing his gospel. I will not believe the statement of Brother Bob, for I believe it to be false.

Jesus himself said: "The kingdom of God is prreached." He was referring to himself. He preached the gospel--the gospel of the kingdom.

Matthew 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

That is not the Ten Commandments. It is the gospel. Nowhere does it say that Jesus came preaching the Ten Commandments. It sure is hard for some people to admit it when they are wrong.

2. standingfirminChrist

Jesus preached more than the gospel of the kingdom (Matt.4:23). He also preached the commandments (Luke 10:25 - 28), He preached repentance (Luke 13:3, 5), He preached judgment (Matthew 7:21 - 23), He preached prayer (Matthew 26:41), He preached witnessing (Matthew 28:19,20).

He preached many things beside the Gospel of the Kingdom.

#42 standingfirminChrist, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What was the purpose of Jesus in coming to this earth--in his ministry during the three years before his death. It wasn't to preach about prayer, although he did teach some things about prayer. It wasn't to preach about the law, though he may have taught some things about the law. It wasn't to preach repentance although he may have taught some things about repentance. There is a difference between preaching and teaching. Why did Christ come? What was his ministry while on earth. This verse should answer it for you:

[FONT=&quot]Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people

Notice it wasn't prayer or the law that he went about all the cities preaching!

[/FONT]

4. standingfirminChrist

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

He that hears the Lord's Words. You can't pick and choose which words you want to hear and dismiss the rest, now can you?

And it is not just hearing the Words of the Lord, but one must be obedient as well.

Be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The words are the words of the gospel which he came to preach.
    Verily verily I say unto you: You must be born again.

He went all over the countryside preaching the gospel. You don't get to pick and choose what he preached when the Bible so clearly says what he preached--the gospel.

6. standingfirminChrist

The Gospel is inclusive of prayer, obedience, faithfulness and all the things I pointed out.

John said He that says he knows Him and keeps not His commandments does not know Him.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus said "Except a man be born again he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

You can pray, and still go to Hell.
    You can keep all the Ten Commandments (or die trying) and still go to hell.
    You can read and study your Bible and still go to hell.
    You can love your neighbor as yourself (or try) and still go to hell.
    You can try to keep the first and greatest of the commandments and still go to hell.

But execpt you be born again you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
    Jesus went everywhere preaching the gospel.

8. standingfirminChrist

You can believe that Jesus is the Christ and still go to hell if you don't keep His commandments.

Remember, the devils also believe in Jesus but will all be in hell.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep. There is nothing like hearing the 'patter of BIG feet' running all along the BB.

And that of many at the same time, as well! :laugh: :applause:

(I'd laugh some more, but I am only permitted four 'smilies' per post.)

"Uh - this-un don't sound nuthin' like 'the rich young ruler' was trying to 'pick and choose' which-uns, now, does it?" As we might say here in the hills of KY. :rolleyes: :tonofbricks:

Ed

#49 EdSutton, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well this is the Gospel Jesus wanted us to spread:

Matthew 28:
    19: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

ALL of what Jesus commanded us to do is the message we are to give to the world. ALL OF IT! Not just the parts you like.

Matthew 7:
    21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22: Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23: And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    24: Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock

If whatever message you are giving to the people isnt telling them to build upon ALL the things Jesus said, then you are teaching them to build upon the sand, rather than upon THE ROCK.

#50 Claudia_T, Jan 23, 2007
  11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

what I just said ought to just go without saying though, everyone should know that already.

Claudia

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Gal 1:12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

This is where John got his, this is where Paul got his. Also, the rest.

13. grahame

grahame New Member

Forgive me for coming in at this late stage. I admit that I haven't read all the posts. But this one caught my eye.
    I see that you have marked out our Lord's words in bold red. Does this mean that by keeping the Commandments that you too shall live? Or do you think that you shall live only because of what Christ has done on the cross? Or again, do you think that our salvation depends on both keeping the Commandments plus the work of Christ on the cross?

14. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

grahame,

I think I can answer tiat one on behalf of HBSMN, sfiC, Claudia, Brother Bob, and many others who believe in being a separated people unto the Lord and what the Lord requires of His people.

If one truly believes in Christ, one will love Christ and one will keep His commandments.

James said Faith without works is dead.

If one truly believes in and accepts Christ, that which is on the inside has got to show on the outside.

15. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes, I agree with that. But that is not what I asked. I wasn't thinking of the proof of faith. But about God counting us as righteous. Let me put it another way if I may.
    What are you trusting in for your salvation? Are you trusting in Christ and his righteousness and blood atonement alone? Or do you think it necessary to add something else to make yourself acceptable to God? In other words. Are you trusting in your works as well as what Christ did upon the cross for your salvation?

#55 grahame, Jan 23, 2007
  16. Diggin in da Word

Of course I am trusting in Christ and His atoning Blood. But, if I am trusting Christ, if I do believe in Him, I will want to please Him and obey His Word.

If I do not obey His Word, can it truly be said that I am trusting Him?

Jesus said 'If ye love me, keep my Commandments'.

17. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes I can see that you do from the words in your profile,
    But if you ask some people they would interpret those words of Jesus differently. They would say, "Yes I do trust in Christ. BUT, there must be something else I can do to "supplement" my salvation. Oh I know, I must try and keep the commandments as well, for only when I try to do do something towards my salvation will God really forgive me. For didn't Christ say, do this and you will live?".

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

But we are commanded to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:18)

Growth indicates the attaining of a mature state. We are not "there" yet. There are still areas of improvement.

Will a Christian desire to live in sin? No. But does a Christian manage to keep the entirety of God's commandments, without failing? Nope.

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

you never can do something "toward your salvation" if you do that you arent keeping the commandments are you? You are being self-centered, which is the opposite of love. You keep the commandments and do what God says because you LOVE HIM and you LOVE your neighbor.

and heres the thing,,, who will be in heaven? who did God prepare heaven FOR?

1Cor:2:9: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that LOVE HIM.

well then how do we know we love God?

Jn:14:15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jn:14:21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jn:14:23: Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

1Jn:4:20: If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

1Jn:5:2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jn:3:15: Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him

does that mean we do things FOR or TOWARD our salvation in order TO be saved? OF COURSE NOT! If we did that we would be just as selfish as the non-believers.

Claudia

#59 Claudia_T, Jan 23, 2007
  20. Diggin in da Word

No, you keep the commandments because you are saved love Him and want to please Him.

But we must remember John's writings, 'He that says he knoweth Him and keepeth not His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

We are admonished to keep the commandments by Jesus,, by John, by others in the Word of God. Were they just saying that to waste their breath?

Of course not!

When I was studying to become a minister, one of my teachers taught me 'If you look to Jesus and obey His Word, your temptations will be great, yet never too great that you cannot overcome through the Lord Jesus Christ and His Divine Word' (J. Robert Wyatt).

That advice has stuck with me for many years and I have found it to be true. His commandments are not grievous and He will not allow so great a temptation that we cannot see Christ .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.