1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Commandments, So What??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 10, 2007.

?
  1. Paul says Christians should not pay attention to them

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Christ and all other NT writers said to ignore them

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. They are good ideas but not binding Law

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. The Ten Commandments are reduced to nine that are still binding

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. The Ten Commandments are still 10 - but the 4th is edited to apply to Sunday

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. All ten are still binding, written on the heart -- and unchanged

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  7. Not sure if God still cares about the Ten Commandments

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.fbinstitute.com/moody/The_TenCommandments_Text.html
    Fundamental Baptist Institute

http://www.fbinstitute.com/
    presents
    THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
    BY THE
    DWIGHT L. MOODY

The Ten Commandments:

Exodus 20:2-17

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy[/b]. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: [b]for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.[/b]

THERE HAS BEEN an [b]awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath[/b] during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day[/b], and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

[b]I honestly believe that
    this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, [b]He did nothing to set it aside[/b]; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.
    "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
    It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The
    Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

#101 BobRyan, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    D.L Moody continues...

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes[/b]; if you give up the church the home goes; and if the home goes the nation goes. That is the direction in which we are traveling.

The church of God is losing its power on account of so many people giving up the Sabbath, and using it to promote selfishness.

HOW TO OBSERVE THE SABBATH
    "Sabbath" means "rest," and the meaning of the word gives a hint as to the true way to observe the day. God rested after creation, and ordained the Sabbath as a rest for man. He blessed it and hallowed it. Remember the rest-day to keep it holy.[/b]
    [/quote]

[b]Mr. Gladstone recently told a friend that the secret of his long life is that amid all the pressure of public cares he never forgot the Sabbath, with its rest for the body and the soul.

·
    When I was a boy, the Sabbath lasted from
    sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday,

Make the Sabbath a day of religious activity. First of all, of course, is attendance at public worship. "There is a discrepancy," says John McNeill, "between our creed about the Sabbath day and our actual conduct. In many families, at ten o'clock on the Sabbath, attendance at church is still an open question. There is no open question on Monday morning- 'John, will you go to work today.'"

Someone has said that without the Sabbath, the Church of Christ could not, as a visible organization, exist on earth.

Parents, if you want your children to grow up and honor you, have them honor the Sabbath day.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    D.L Moody part III

SABBATH DESECRATION
    [b]Men seem to think they have a right to change the holy day into a holiday. The young have more temptations to break the Sabbath than we had forty years ago.[/b]
    PUNISHMENT OR BLESSING?
    No nation has ever prospered that has trampled the Sabbath in the dust. Show me a nation that has done this and I will show you a nation that has got in it the seeds of ruin and decay. I believe that Sabbath desecration will carry a nation down quicker than anything else. Adam brought marriage and the Sabbath with him out of Eden, and neither can be disregarded without suffering. When the children of Israel went into the Promised Land, God told them to let their land rest every seven years, and He would give them as much in six years as in seven. For four hundred and ninety years they disregarded that law. But mark you, Nebuchadnezzar came and took them off into Babylon, and kept them seventy years in captivity, and the land had its seventy sabbaths of rest. Seven times seventy is four hundred and ninety. So they did not gain much by breaking this law. You can give God His day, or He will take it.

On the other hand, honoring the fourth commandment brings blessing:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." (Isaiah 58:13-14)

? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. [/b]Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current.

Sabbath-breaker, are you ready to step into the scales?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob,
    Your post is evident. And you are deceitful if you say that Moody kept the Sabbath. He didn't. His "rest" was from sun down on Saturday to sundown on Sunday, worshiping on Sunday and considering Sunday as his day of rest and his day of worship. Sunday, the first day of the week was the day of rest, the day that he kept holy to the Lord. He simply renamed Sunday as the Sabbath, as that entire generation of Christians did. To say that he kept the Sabbath on your part is pure deceit, if not an outright lie.

I have quotes from James Calvert saying the same thing. The Sabbath was kept. The people met on Sunday. No unnecessary work was done on that day. It was a day set apart for the Lord. The Sabbath was considered (for Christians) as Sunday. That, up to just recent times, has always been the case historically.

For you to use Moody and others like him in defence of keeping the Sabbath holy is nonsense and deceit. You have as much argument using Moody as you do with Islam that keeps Friday holy to their God. The argument is the same.

The Muslim keeps Friday.
    The Jews keep Saturday.
    The Christians keep Sunday.

And some Christians say that every day is holy, and not one is more holy than another (Romand 14).

The difference between the Muslim, the Jews, and the Christans, is that the Christian know who the one true God is. They honor him by worshiping him on Sunday--that day in which he rose again from the dead.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IN the text above we SEE Moody claim that HE kept Sabbath. That is beyond dispute - calling me "deceitful" for admitting to this obvious fact of Moody's statement may serve a "pulpit pounding" purpose in your post but does not address the facts at all.

My argument remains that the VERY TEXT of Moody's sermon SHOWS him to be upholding the binding requirements of the 4th commandment. This is beyond dispute. Pulpit pounding will not change the text of Moody's historic document -- not even one tiny iota.

I am always glad to observe the immediacy in which your own posts contradict the pulpit pounding statements made in them.

in Christ,

Bob

#105 BobRyan, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Each time your argument loses substance you resort to "more pulpit pounding". This is becoming a regular tactic on your part DHK.

My point is that MOODY HIMSELF makes these claims about the continued authority of the 4th commandment (claims that you constantly contradict in your own arguments against Christ's memorial of His creative work in Gen 2:1-3).

Allow me to remind you of what HE said so you can find a way to stop blaming me for words that Moody spoke.

This business of quoting Moody and seeing that the very "details" of his argument contradict your tradition of "10 commandments downsized to nine" -- just never gets old.

I affirm Moody on his "4th commandment still valid" argument above.

I affirm you on your "4th commandment could not have been edited" argument.

But your wild "deceitful this" and "deceitful that" pulpit pounding I find to be indicative of your resort to transparent ad hominem when reason and logic are lacking in your argument.

My further argument here - is that I think many of those who take the "Ten commandments not downsized" position here on this board are taking a position very similar to Moody's -- not yours. Frankly - I was surprised by that myself.

in Christ,

Bob

#106 BobRyan, Jan 8, 2008
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And the whole post is a lie Bob.
    Please substitute the word Sunday for the word Sabbath, and you will have the truth. To this day many Christians follow Sunday as a day of rest with some fairly strict rules. Your contentions about Moody keeping the Sabbath are fraudulent. Moody kept Sunday as holy unto the Lord, not Saturday. Sabbath in that generation was a synonym for Sunday, not Saturday. Why are you being deceitful in this manner?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Moody's statement from your own quotations, Bob:

Sunday was their Sabbath Bob. Don't be deceitful.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This type of response shows the inability of Bob to refute the answers given to his statements. My "tactic" of refuting what he has said, results in Bob unable to give a proper response, and thus can only give a personal attack. Typical for one that has no answer.

10. trustitl

trustitl New Member

So Moody called Sunday the Sabbath and tried to make people feel guilty for not going to church. He also called "church" the House of God in your post.

THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

“However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands; as the prophet says" Acts 7:48

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Sorry DHK - I do not have the freedom to edit what D.L Moody said and pretend that the supposed truth is "Sunday was made for man" Mark 2:27 or that "Sunday was binding in Eden and it has been in force ever since" as you so carelessly suggest be done in that post. Reason is failing you here DHK - you can't possibly mean what you suggest. You are getting careless.

You keep arguing that my QUOTE of Moody is my "contention about Moody" -- it is not a "contention" it is a quote -- get it? Historic fact.

in Christ,

Bob

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then you have taken what he has said out of context and slandered him. You have inferred that he teaches a heresy when he indeed teaches no such thing. That is serious error on your part and should not be permitted on this board. I have clearly showed you from your own post where Moody believes that Sabbath = Sunday! Thus you slander him saying he teaches something else.
    It is a quote taken out of context and therefore not truth. Why do you post lies? This is very unethical, Bob, and should not be permitted.
    Moody taught that SABBATH = SUNDAY
    You are dishonest in your quotes of him.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    slander...deceitful this...deceitful that...dishonest... I see a LOT of pulpit pounding DHK but not one word of actual "substance".

Stop tossing dust in the air and say something!

If you found a place where this quote is "taken out of context" then SHOW it -- don't just pitch a fit -- say something!

Wonderful claim now SHOW it. Show that Moody HIMSELF said one thing - and then I SAID another.

So far all you are doing is whining about the words that Moody HIMSELF said!

I know you can do this DHK - please give it a try.

in Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

When we "look at the details" of what Moody actually said (pulpit poundind and dust throwing antics laid aside for a moment) - we see that it is MOODY that makes reference to the Sabbath of Gen 2:1-3 and to the Pre-cross Sabbath statement of Christ in Mark 2:27.

It is very difficult to eisegete "sunday" into those statements of Moody as DHK as clearly said he would like to do. And I can certainly appreciate DHK's "need" to do it.

I also appreciate the fact that Moody himself appears to waffle on the Sabbath of Gen 2:1-3 and Mark 2:27 "enough" to try and get week-day-one observances included under the 4th commandment.

Be that as it may -- HE is arguing for this unchanged authorotative commandment as extending FROM Gen 2 - creation week.

He does NOT argue the sad case of a "downsized ten commandments" and clearly those who have voted on this thread for a CONTINUED ten commandment list are ALSO not arguing for a tradition of "God's Law downsized to nine" solution. Clearly they appear to want a similar solution to getting week-day-one included under the 4th commandment as well as the actual Sabbath of Gen 2 and Mark 2:27 as Moody sought to invent.

in Christ,

Bob

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here it is again Bob:

There is absolutely no question here that Sunday is the Sabbath, and that people went back to work on Monday after the Sabbath. This is from your own post. I suggest you stop posting things that Moody does not believe.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok you found a post from Moody. Now the second part of the task that I set for you was to then show something from me that claims he did not say it or that he takes some OTHER position OTHER than this one --

Maybe you need some assistance.

Try arguing this --

"Moody SAID that he accepts the Sabbath commandment as unchanged and in force ever since Eden but clearly when we look at his actual practice and acceptance of it for others - we do see some 'Change" though he does not appear to want to claim there was a change"

Can you say that? Were you trying to say it some place in all of your "dishonest this, deceitful that" posting?

in Christ,

Bob

#116 BobRyan, Jan 8, 2008
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What Moody said:

The Sabbath was Sunday, or whatever day of rest he chose. The Sabbath was a day of rest, one day out of seven if you read his entire sermon. The Lord taught that a man should rest one day out of seven. That is what he taught.

"Saturday is my day of rest because I generally preach on Sunday." However he taught that others gather together on the "Sabbath" (Sunday), a day made holy unto the Lord, a day that was their day of rest for they worked a six day work week.
    I also work six days, as many preachers do. And like many others in my line of work I take my day of rest (or day off) on Monday. Should I call Monday the Sabbath Bob? This is what Moody was teaching. Read his entire sermon here, at the very link that you posted for us:
    http://www.fbinstitute.com/moody/The_TenCommandments_Text.html

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob, stop being deceitful. Not once did Moody ever say that the Sabbath was Saturday.
    Not once did Moody ever say that Gentiles ought to keep the Jewish Sabbath.
    You have been very deceitful in these posts.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You have three choices DHK.

1. Either go to the "downsized to nine" solution and claim you don't really pay attention to the 4th commandment since in your opinion it no longer matters - no longer exists. But in that case admit that the 4th commandment is "not editable" and in fact references the day given in Gen 2:3 and specified again in the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20. God's word "not editable". Use exegesis to show that the day was specifically Saturday.

2. OR go to the solution Moody has selected (along with what appears to be a majority on this thread) where you claim that the 4th commandment IS binding and DOES matter but that your week-day-one selection is somehow satisfying that requirement. Use exegesis to show that the Ten Commandments are a unit and are binding.

3. Combine the exegesis of BOTH methods with the result that the commandments are NOT editable and the WHOLE ten are in fact still binding -- which would be my solution.

You seem to have started off taking option one in our past discussions of this topic but in that last post you seem to be drifting into option two.

in Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It is left as an exercise for the objective unbiased reader to carefully Contrast THE DETAILS of what Moody said above -- to pure pulpit pounding as in the quote below.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.