1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Ten Commandments' survey of Americans: Huh?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by I Am Blessed 24, Oct 12, 2007.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

"Two all-beef patties, special sauce ...." A new survey finds that nearly twice as many people can name the ingredients of a Big Mac than can name the Ten Commandments.

The survey, conducted by Kelton Research, asked 1,000 Americans how many of the Ten Commandments they could name. Among the survey's findings: 80 percent knew the ingredients of a Big Mac, and 6 in 10 respondents knew the sixth commandment -- "Thou shalt not kill." Also, Bobby and Peter -- the least-recalled names from the early 1970s TV family "Brady Bunch" -- were more familiar to respondents than the least-recalled commandments, "Remember the Sabbath," and "Do not make any false idols."

The survey was conducted in conjunction with the upcoming nationwide release of the animated feature, "The Ten Commandments." http://www.10commandmentsmovie.com/ Paul Lauer is founder of Motive Entertainment, the group marketing the new movie. He says although there has been much debate in recent years over the public display of the Ten Commandments, the survey shows that God's laws are not being taught in many homes.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/10/ten_commandments_survey_of_ame.php

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Maybe that's because there are only 8 ingredients to memorize over 10 whole commandments. :D

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Very quiet thread.

Just you and I Sue

If I promise not to break any commandments, can we blow this joint and get a......

here's a hint ;)

Two all beef patties
    special sauce
    lettuce
    cheese
    pickles
    onions
    on a Sesame Seed Bun!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Joe, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

And if that's the case with justing knowing what the commandments are, how many (or how few? :) ) know what they mean? I've found that a lot of people, even some Christians, think that "taking God's name in vain" only happens when we use the word "God" as a swear-word, or that a person can only be guilty of breaking the commandment about murder if they actually kill someone.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I memorized the ten commands in order ---- years ago --- with the help of the now retired quartet

The Statler Brothers

On their Old Testament/New Testament labels

Thou shalt have no gods before Me is my first command
    Thou shalt not make any graven image by thy hand
    Thou shalt not take My name in vain or thou shall guilty be
    Remember now to keep the Sabbath day alone to Me
    Honor thy father and thy mother
    and thou shall not kill
    Thou shalt not commit adultery
    and thou shall not steal
    Love thy neighbor as thyself and show thy neighbor peace
    Covet not thy neighbor's house nor anything thats his

I'm preaching a current series at church on The Ten Commands

We're on command #2 No Graven Image

No man has seen God at any time sooooooo when we make an image of Him and bow to that image ---- we're telling God ---- "God!!!! We know what you look like!!!! You look like this!!!!!" Thus we call God a liar when we make an image of Him because God says noone knows what He looks like and here we are saying ---- this is what God looks like!!!

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

What is the big surprise! We know what is important to us, what we study, spend time reading and living. How many of us have a family alter time and Bible study time? Our children learn in public schools ( I know many of us don't send our children to public schools) the Bible isn't correct, so why should they spend time reading it? We spend so much time trying to have non christian to live by Christian values rather than getting the Gospel out to the lost. Woe is me!!!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure why the brethren and sistren think the root of this "crisis" is. Seems clear to me that the reason that the 30 and over crowd can almost instantly recall both the ingredients of a Big Mac and the pre-amble to the US constitution (remember the little School House Rock ditty?) and not the 10 Commandments in order is due to nothing else but repetition.

For the same reason, just about every person who has been a believer for more than 2-3 years can instantly recall John 3:16 and Matthew 28:18-20

How many times have you pastors taught on OT law and how it applies to us today? How do you use the simple tool of repetition in your teaching?

How many of us can recall the 10 Commandments in order? One might as well ask how many of us can recall Romans 8 word for word, or how many of us can recall the generations given in Matthew 1, or how many of us can recall the order of creation, or how many of us can recite the Sermon on the Mount.

We live in a church generation that honors the use of the catechism of old...but without actually using it, in either the family or church context, to train our young.

My guess is that the folks who read this thread and are "shocked" will be the same ones expressing shock in a year or two when the next survey of this type comes out...without affecting any real change in the meantime.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said! Well said! :applause:

That Big Mac song is very short, is made up of phrases only, was presented through visual media, AND was in sing-song format. A monkey could memorize it!!

This is comparing apples and oranges.

I know that Big Mac song. It's stuck in my head. But guess what. I HATE Big Macs!!!! Just knowing the silly little song means nothing to me.

I CAN'T recite Exodus 20:1-17 off the top of my head. Especially not the King James version. But I know what the 10 commandments say. And I know what they mean. And I know how Jesus Christ summed them up. And I LOVE them.