1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ten Reasons Why I Will Not...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Kidz-4-HIM, Mar 8, 2004.

1. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

Hi Diane

I see you saw Toy Story 2. I was wondering how you feel about supporting Disney w/ your money? Disney supports gay and lesbian lifestyle by hosting the annual ‘Gay Days’.

I have to admit that my family owns some Disney merchandise. But now that we know how Disney is promoting and supporting the gay lifestyle, we have made a conscience decision as Christians not to support Disney in any way.

2. onestand

onestand New Member

John6, I know your question was directed to diane, but I wanted to share my imput as well. I do not agree with the gay lifestyle at all, but I believe if we boycott everything that so much as even encourages gays, we'll be boycotting everything. I personally do not get caught up in avoiding Disney..just my personal opinion.

3. john6:63

onestand

Thanks for your opinion and I don’t want to be perceived as a ‘holier than thou’ type person, b/c I own Disney products, even bought them a year ago, knowing that my money I spent on the merchandise were supporting an organization, which sponsored the gay and lesbian lifestyles. I also found out that AT&T advertises frequently on a gay travel website, in addition AT&T has a ‘gay employee group league’.

But I also made a choice as a Christian that I shouldn’t contribute to any organization that sponsors anything non-Christian that comes to my attention and I don’t make a hobby of investigating every company my money goes to, although I probably should. Even the Mutual Funds you contribute to may be supporting an organization that’s not morally sound.

But I feel that as a Christian I should let by brethren known about these organizations as they become known so that they may decide for themselves as to if they should continue their contributions as well.

4. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

That's good for Pastor Coe. I'll probably see it someday when the time comes. The Passion is not an evangelistic film. It's Mel Gibson's production and adaptation of Jesus' suffering based on the gospel accounts and some Catholic tradition ("stations of the cross").

I have not seen the movie. I will judge it on it's own merits when I view it. However, I hesitate because it's rated-R.

Kidz-4-Him,

I'm glad you don't go to the movies. I hope your convictions are solidly based on Scripture.

I personally believe it's okay to take in some good "drama" and use wise discernment in what I view. But that's me and the liberty I'm exercising. As a rule, I avoid rated-R movies because of too much gratuitous violence and sex - The only exception I made was "Schindler's List." The best movies I've ever seen were in the PG and G ratings.

5. john6:63

And as a rule of thumb that I’m trying to uphold and to let govern my decisions is that even if I choose to see a good drama that’s rated PG, the money I spend at the theater is still funding Hollywood. In addition the money I spend on the PG movie, may contribute to an R rated movie the same director may direct in the future.

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

That could very well happen. However, my conscience is clear that I will not buy a ticket to a Rated-R movie (or rent one). We cannot control what movie producers will do with the money we give them. We can refuse to do business with them if they produce garbage.

7. onestand

onestand New Member

John6...that's fine to do so, I just personally don't mind doing so and I am also not trying to pick anyone apart but just giving my viewpoint.

8. TeenforChrist

TeenforChrist New Member

My Uncle was saved because of the movie
    "The Passion Of The Christ" [​IMG] After the movie he bought a Bible and started to ask questions to my dad. Now he's a Christian and learning about Jesus. God can use anything to change live (anything)!!!

TFC

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Scott:

Do you have an update?

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I have, as of this point, seen the movie three times.

I've had the opportunity to share the Gospel with several people, including my boss and two of the guys at work because of the movie. I'm told that one of the newcomers to our church was led to Christ as a result of seeing the movie, but, to be fair, I haven't met him yet, so I don't know. (This would shoot a hole in the theory that the movie is a "Catholic propaganda" piece, since our church is a conservative baptist church)

Anyway, I have purposely quit posting in the various "Passion" threads here and tried to stay away from them altogether because I see no reason to involve myself in such negativity when I really should be rejoicing that millions of people are being confronted, to one degree or another, with the cross of Christ.

I fully support people's right not to see it and even to protest it (although I can't take seriously someone who condemns it without having seen it) but I'm thanking God for it and asking Him to bless Mel Gibson and to move upon the hearts in Hollywood as a result of this movie.

11. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I hate to admit it, but I just spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how this film might infringe upon someone's right to bear arms. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm exhausted...traveled over 1000 miles this week for a funeral out of town. Maybe I'll hit the sack so my brain can recuperate. [​IMG]

12. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Yes He can, even the foolishness of preaching. Thank you for your post, it is above all else the single most important element in this discussion.
    Thank God for your uncle's salvation. [​IMG]
    Murph

13. LarryN

LarryN New Member

An observation:

Many of those who display such animosity regarding the film have oftentimes based their opposition largely on the fact that it was produced by a staunch Roman Catholic.

It occurs to me that a staunch Roman Catholic (Desiderius Erasmus) produced the Textus Receptus, the textual basis for the King James Version of the Bible.

Are those who oppose the film because it was produced by a Catholic also going to now renounce the KJV?

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

A beautiful testimony- Praise God!

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You buy gas from Muslim countries don't you? Don't you also buy vegetables from countries that are predominately Catholic? I am sure you do support businesses owned and operated by non-believers too.

16. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

After all of the discussion about this movie , I do not need ten reasons to not see the movie, I have two hours and ten minutes worth of reasons no to see it.

17. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Really? It was that bad, eh?

18. Turbeville

Turbeville New Member

There are errors in the film...such as Satan being in the garden when instead God sent an angel down to comfort Jesus and the bible does not have Satan following Jesus up to Calvary...but if this film would encourage people to go to church and to study the bible to find the truth then it should be seen! I will not be seeing the film for I know the truth and I do not want to give Mel Gibson any of my money!

19. uhdum

uhdum New Member

While I agree that Satan's garden scene is not found in the Bible, I struggle with calling it an "error." Why? Because everyone that knows anything about the Bible knows that it is not in there. An "error" is a mistake done accidentally. This scene was intentionally placed in here. Mel Gibson stated that he did use some creative liscense. Whether one likes it or not, he admits it and is being honest about it.

Regarding Satan following Jesus to Calvary, I believe he did. I believe Satan was present, for Jesus was single-handedly thwarting everything Satan had set out to do for the last several thousand years. So could these two things have really happened? Yes; we all know the verse in John that states that we do not have the complete record of Jesus' life. Did they? We do not know.

But as a person who has both seen the Passion, read both views (those that support it and those that don't), I personally find nothing wrong with it. Why? Because the film is still man's interpretation. I have no problem with the film and enjoyed it (as much as one can enjoy a film depicting this subject), not because I am ignoring the "facts" and blindly accepting the film. I have seen the film, weighed the beliefs and opinions of both sides, and have come to a sound conclusion for myself. I believe that each one of us should do the same, no matter where you end up in regards to your views of the film.

God bless!

God bless

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You buy gas from Muslim countries don't you? Don't you also buy vegetables from countries that are predominately Catholic? I am sure you do support businesses owned and operated by non-believers too. </font>[/QUOTE]The difference is that my vegetables do not promote Catholic false doctrine like this movie does.