1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tenet Misstates Pre-War Iraq / Al quaeda Connection

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jul 1, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062901947.html?nav=hcmodule

Iraq, al-Qaeda and Tenet's Equivocation

By Christina Shelton
    Saturday, June 30, 2007; Page A21

EXCERPT

On Aug. 15, 2002, I presented my part of a composite Pentagon briefing on al-Qaeda and Iraq to George Tenet, then CIA director. In his recent book, "At the Center of the Storm," Tenet wrote that I said in opening remarks that "there is no more debate," "no further analysis is required" and "it is an open-and-shut case."

I never said those things. In fact, I said the covert nature of the relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda made it difficult to know its full extent; al-Qaeda's security precautions and Iraq's need to cloak its activities with terrorist networks precluded a full appreciation of their relationship. Tenet also got the title of the briefing wrong. It was "Assessing the Relationship Between Iraq and al-Qa'ida," not "Iraq and al-Qa'ida -- Making the Case."

That day I summarized a body of mostly CIA reporting (dating from 1990 to 2002), from a variety of sources, that reflected a pattern of Iraqi support for al-Qaeda, including high-level contacts between Iraqi senior officials and al-Qaeda, training in bomb making, Iraqi offers of safe haven, and a nonaggression agreement to cooperate on unspecified areas. My position was that analysts were not addressing these reports since much of the material did not surface in finished, disseminated publications.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point anyone who believes anything that George Tenet says does so at his/her own peril as for as his/her credibility is concerned.