1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tenn. assoc. disfellowships church with female pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal-thinking, not based on Scripture. St. Matthew 5:32.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you are a pastor, Ted, the most important gift, you should have is listening? Let me remind you that this comment was meant for another member; I even quoted that member. It surely was not directed at you! I did have one objection to you excellent post, but you seem to want to focus on something that is not pertaining to you in any way, shape or form! Sorry you read that response and took it personal?! Rolleyes

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say, you need to review Romans 8:1, "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.…"

If you which to be legalistic, Ted, that is certainly your right! However, be reminded that Paul also told us, "Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace." Romans 6:14.

And the verse, or teaching I truly love is in John 8:1-11, particularly verses 10 and 11, where Jesus speaks to the adulterous woman and asks and commands, "Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?" ..... "No, Lord,” she said. And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

I happen to believe that there is no sin, except for blasphemy, that God can't and won't forgive! However, if you chose to be selective that is something you will have to live with and give an answer for in heaven! I used to be a lot like you, Ted, legalistic, and strict when it came to these issues! Nevertheless, God has taught me a very personal lesson about sin, forgiveness and his Grace towards those who sin in the manner of divorce and remarriage!

I'll bet you have no problem with Christian pastors and leaders who smoke or drink (socially of course)? Or do you? How about cussing? What about being overweight? And have you ever gossiped? What do we do with those folks: cast them aside, if they committed those sins and transgressions while living for Jesus?

4. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A clever argument. But it does not apply to the points I addressed and certainly not to the Godly women who stepped up in history where men who could have did not (for whatever reason).

5. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Dr. Charles Stanley (Senior Pastor First Baptist Atlanta, Ga) deserve to be kicked out of the pastorate?

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of the circumstances around his divorce, or his part in it.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please try to be just a little honest in your postings. I never said that there are some sins God will not or can not forgive. That is simply a lie. It is not about being forgiven. It is about being qualified for the pastorate.

I have a friend who was a basketball star in high school. He went to college on a basketball scholarship. He was offered a place in the lineup of a professional team but he had been in ROTC all through college and wanted to service in the Army before accepting the offer to go pro.

He stepped on a "bouncing betty" and lost his left leg. When he was medically discharged he did not play pro ball. Why not? Not because there was unforgiven sin but because he was no longer qualified.
    No you didn't.
    Everyone who has been on the BB for more than 20 minutes knows my name is Tom.
    Not even a little.
    Depends on what you mean by "strict." If you mean "believing the bible" then, yes, I do.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, again, my name is Tom. Second, no, the most important gift a pastor can have is not "listening." In fact that "gift" is not even mentioned. The most important gift is "pastor/teacher."
    No, you didn't quote anyone. If you would learn to use the quote function perhaps the confusion could be lessened.

Here is your entire post (post #51)
    1. Then quote who it was directed to.
      Sorry you were so unclear who you were addressing. But clarity of thought does not seem to be your strong suit, especially where the bible is involved. :(

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we can disregard he Lord in regards to whom he would deem fit to be ordained as spiritual authorities within the local church?

Cannot God actually provide the numbers needed without us doing that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I said earlier that I believe Dr, Stanley should have stepped down for a time. He has not reconciled to his wife. But neither has he taken another wife.

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Reading and understanding are two different activities. I, for one, cannot find anywhere in the Bible that says a divorced man can not be a pastor. It is the remarrying of another that is not his wife (who is still living) that does this. He is no longer the husband of one wife.
    Some say Paul was talking about polygamy, but polygamy was an not an issue with the Jew nor most Gentiles. Paul was not talking about being married to one woman at a time either, he was not talking about have only one flavor of the week, month, year or period. He was talking about have one wife and I believe that is before or after salvation.
    These rules are not designed to punish anyone but they are God's rules for His Church. God knows why He made these rules and He expects us to faithfully abide by them. God's rules are not to be amended by Godly men. People twist and delete parts of God's Word, not to be Holy, but to excuse the shortcomings of their behavior so they can pretend that everything is alright so they may continue doing man's will. God wants his loved creation to love Him back. We do that by keeping His Commands and not changing or adding to them because He will keep His Word.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See - I will disagree with this. Let's take a look at what is spoken of when Jesus meets the Samaritan woman at the well:

"The woman answered and said, “I have no husband.” Jesus *said to her, “You have correctly said, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly.”

Jesus said she was correct that she has no husband. Jesus didn't say "Oh, on the contrary, you have 5 husbands and the one that you are with isn't your husband."

So a divorced man remarrying would still be the husband of one wife. Had he married the second woman while he was still married to the first, that would be different.

• Like Like x 1
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure I understand.

Are you saying that if a man divorces and joins with another that person can still be the pastor of a church?

14. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

We can look at what was spoken when Jesus meets the woman at the well. We could also buy apples to make orange juice. These are two different situations. Jesus was not vetting the woman to be a pastor he was giving her direction so that she could be saved. God did not make the rules of how the Church is structured to punish people. God sees the big picture that we do not see. It is God's Church, changing the definitions of the rules that God has set makes it man's or woman's church. People want to do something so bad that they ignore God's commands and laws and then think they will stand before God and explain to Him how they improved on His shortcomings.

Yes, I, myself, often fall into justifying my sin, at least until I have accomplished what I knew to be wrong. I am so thankful that my Savior's blood is a lot more powerful than all sin combined.

#74 John Toppass, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="TCassidy, post: 2180287, member: 2704"But clarity of thought does not seem to be your strong suit, especially where the bible is involved. :(
    [/QUOTE]

Ouch! You certainly are snarky! How does God handle that kind of attitude, dressing down and tone when speaking to another brother, TOM? Still, I do forgive you for your mannerisms! It is clearly understood that I am not someone you like! Even though I was created in the same IMAGE of God as you?

[​IMG]

In the words of of the immortal John Lennon,
    "All you need is love!"​

#75 righteousdude2, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that was a question, even though you omitted the question mark! Well, if you think it was meant for you, then maybe it was! Who am I to change your mind on very much, TOM? You seem to be steadfast and focused on your interpretations of scripture, and I doubt the Lord Himself could change your mind, at this time in your life! With that said, Get some sleep, as it sounds like you are spending a lot of time on my comments and my interpretations of scripture! I am but a grain of sand in a beach full of sand. You too are but a grain of sand (not the pebble or rock you are trying to puff yourself up to be, and like sand paper, we seem to be rubbing each other the wrong way! So, TOM, take a break! Giggle Life goes on! I am sure you have bigger fish to fry in your little world of temporal theology!

#76 righteousdude2, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey TOM ......
    enough with the mud?!

[​IMG]

18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops! :oops: I don't know where I came up with "Ted" but I do apologize! However, have you ever considered changing your name to "Ted?" Whistling

Again, it was an honest mistake! Wink

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone needs thicker skin...

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Why would you want to saddle thicker skin with that burden?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]