1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tennessee Abortion Ban a ‘Nightmare’ for Woman With Doomed Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by KenH, Feb 28, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ‘ “I asked, ‘Is there any treatment?’” Phillips recalled. “She said, ‘Unfortunately, there’s nothing that can fix all these defects.’”

Miley Rose was doomed.

“I was like, ‘What do we do next?’” Phillips remembered.

The doctor said that terminating the pregnancy was an option, but they were in Tennessee, where an abortion ban went into effect six months ago.

“She said, ‘Of course, in Tennessee, I can’t offer you advice if you choose that route. That is something you would have to do your own research on,’” Phillips remembered.

The doctor added that if they decided to continue with the pregnancy, the problems would only grow along with the fetus.

“We risk having a stillborn or giving birth only for her to just die shortly after delivery,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to bring her into this world to suffer for an hour or two just so I can say I held her.” ‘

- rest of article at Tennessee Abortion Ban a ‘Nightmare’ for Woman With Doomed Pregnancy (msn.com)

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My heart breaks for her. Truly. To be carrying a child with medical issues like that is horrific.

If she wants an abortion without waiting to see what happens, she can get one.

The state of Illinois is flying our women in Louisiana [free flights there and back] to get free abortions there. In Illinois.

If she and her husband want an abortion, she should do the research and she will find one. Besides, Tennessee is very close to Illinois. She and her husband could drive there.

I find this article slightly prejudiced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If state governments are going to make rules about abortion, then it would be prudent to set up a mechanism to deal with the hard cases, such as this one, so that traveling out of state would not be necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the Tennessee government considers them rich enough to find their own way to another place where abortion is callous and commonplace. Others less rich are flown for free, etc.

Certainly having to say goodbye to someone you love as their life ebbs away is heartrending. Most want to hold on to a loved one as long as they can.

Whether having an abortion would be better psychologically is, at best, unproven in this case. This couple doesn’t know what it will be like for them after their beloved baby is gone. Having an abortion may cause irreparable physical damage to the mother.

At the very least, they will likely need grief counseling, if they don’t already.

I find the article one-sided, shortsighted, irresponsible.

5. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We need a pregnancy bill of rights in all fifty states.

I can appreciate the reasoning and efforts of people on both sides of the abortion debate. I don't think it's a good idea for abortion to be considered a "right". So in that sense, I agree with the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe vs Wade. BUT, if we're going to send this back to the states, it would be wise to protect the health of pregnant women by allowing doctors the freedom to do their jobs.

Bill of Rights for pregnant women:

You will not be forced to carry a pregnancy to term if:
    1. The pregnancy was caused by a sexual violation such as rape or incest.
    2. You and your medical team become aware of a medically complicated situation where carrying the pregnancy to term would be dangerous, pointless, and/or impractical.

6. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is prejudiced. The article states:

Her home state now was a place where she could only wait for her baby to be born into a futile struggle to live a brief time not worth living. And if she miscarried, she would have to wait for her body to expel the deceased fetus.

First, is the brief time of life really not worth living? Are we to tell God that a life is "not worth living?"

Second, if the child died in utero, would she have to wait for the body to expel the child? Is a C-section not an option?

It is a sad and grievous thing whenever someone dies. If you have not read Nancy Guthrie's book "Raising Hope" I suggest reading it. Nancy gave birth to two children with genetic defects that did not allow them to live. Was Hope's short life "not worth living?" I would argue that the outcome of Hope's short life has had eternal ramifications. From her death, Nancy Guthrie and her husband created "Grief Share", a ministry that is spreading the gospel of grace to many.

The death of anyone is grievous and a direct cause of sin in this world. It is absolutely sad that this little child didn't develop properly and I feel for the really hard decisions that all end in the child's death.

In this situation I am glad for organizations like New Life Family Services that provides ultrasounds and Christian counseling for families while the child is in the womb and for those who choose to abort. Women and families need support after a child's life is ended not just beforehand.

May God be merciful to this family.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

But I do understand the concern as well.

My wife miscarried when we were in Germany. But she had to be hospitalized to deliver the baby naturally (for her body to finally reject the pregnancy). That added trauma to trauma.

I am absolutely opposed to abortion. We have a friend that was in the place of the woman in the article. She had the baby, a beautiful girl now in her teens. But the child is in a wheelchair and is extremely handicapped. She does not have the quality of life most of us have.

But it is a mistake to say she has no quality of life.