1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tennessee Temple and the SBC?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey to all who may be "In the Know" about Fundamentalists schools?

My good friends over at Sharper Iron have the "10 Most Important Stories" for Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. They speak, in point #7, that Tennessee Temple is (has) aligned with some SBC agency, association, or entity.

Can anyone comment on this for me please? I live on the other end of the state and do not know a thing about it!!!:sleeping_2: Been sleeping to much I guess???!!!!

The story can be found here:

http://sharperiron.org/2009/01/01/t...licals-and-fundamentalists-in-2008/#more-3412

Please advise.

"That is all!"

#1 Rhetorician, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I did some Googling, and it's apparently not a done deal yet. Johnny Hunt and Jerry Vines have made some positive statements about such an linkup.

Dr. Vines expressed pleasure that Tennessee Temple wants to return to its SBC roots. A blogger, however, noted that TTU fails to acknowledge such roots on its website.

Another blogger I read expressed concern that TTU is not regionally accredited. TTU is accredited by TRACS, but not the Southern Association. He worries that TRACS accreditation may weaken TTU's image. He also is concerned about faculty inbreeding, noting that many of TTU faculty are TTU and Temple Seminary graduates.

Here's another article which fills in some details:
    http://victorybc.org/blog/?p=226

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What do TRACS and inbreeding have to do with returning to SBC roots?

Is it now about academics to be SBC?

Why not yank out of SBC pastors who have unaccredited degrees?

Several of the SBC presidents got their doctorates from Luther Rice even before its TRACS. This should have been double trouble.

I hope TTU returns and accreditation does not become an issue.

After all, Isn't it about beliefs?

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Very good point TC. TRACS is a recognized accrediting body and it should count for something. It may not be regional, but its better than nothing (as LRU and SES know). The schools connection with Temple Baptist Seminary is a good thing.

If the Southern Baptist Convention wants to start getting picky about their schools, maybe they should investigate Campbell University. I think it is still Southern Baptist. They don't allow students to go barefoot on campus but, last time I visted, there were beer cans and cigarette ashes on the ground around one of the mens dorm. Another point about Campbell, is that their Divinity school is somewh

#4 Martin, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Highland Park Baptist Returns to SBC, Renovates Massive Auditorium

"What drove Highland Park back into the SBC fold, according to Dr. Bouler, was a denominational program that supplied Bibles to Muslims. “That program touched our hearts,” he said."

"To better minister to families and “reach new people for Christ,” the church has reduced the size of its 5,700-seat auditorium"

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There should be no surprise in the move of TTU to the SBC. When Rev. Danny Lovett took over it was all but inevitable.

I've got mixed views about this business.

Perhaps our current leadership has focused so much on pushing the ultra-conservative agenda that it is forgetting about the large portion of the convention that is not in their exact frame of theological reference. Maybe that is a good thing. I don't know.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I wasn't taking a position, but quoting different reactions. I actually agree with you.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is about real beliefs not just beliefs on a page which James deals with.

Any organization is only as good as its leaders. To examine an organization, examine its leaders. To examine its leaders, take a look at who is living for Jesus Christ because of their life. Jesus told his disciple to make disciples. We must look at who is making disciples and what their disciples are like. If they are not making disciples they are not leaders and are deceived. It is really that simple.

James 1:22, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."

Those who make disciples must be alert and be in the word. I have not known one person making disciples who does not have a growing knowledge of scripture but I have met many who have an intellectual knowledge of scripture and are not making disciples.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agendas are not scripture. The world will vanish without hope. Hope does not come in buildings and possessions but in Jesus Christ. The best examples of Christ are those who are investing their lives in the lives of others in the way they live, eat, think, and practice their faith. They are truly examples for others to follow.

Man cannot serve God and the things of this world.

Over the years I have never heard one person ever thank me for the possessions I own, but rather for what I gave them in Christ, that which is eternal.