1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tennessee Temple: Can someone tell me about it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Squidward, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the 'Camp Joy' cafeteria. That's where the shrunken church finally retreated to:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ic-highland-park-becomes-church-of-the/97587/

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious what you mean - that the school did not support alumni?

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The school did not consult us about any changes (and there were many over the years). They did not communicate with us about needs for years. They did not have an active alumni association with meetings and membership that I know of--at least I was never contacted about one. There was a news page for alumni on their webpage that was almost never updated. And the list goes on.

Twice in 35 years they've come out with an alumni directory they wanted us to buy for over $100. The first time I bought one and it helped with our furlough. The second time, a couple of years ago? No thanks.

Furthermore, what TTU did in recent years was try to move beyond their original IFB base and broaden their appeal. That's all fine and good, but don't expect your alumni to send money when you get into trouble if you have moved beyond them. Northland also found this out in recent years--they just did it a lot faster than TTU.

Where I got my MA, they are constantly in contact with the alumni, both by email and snail mail, and there are frequent benefits to keeping up with the dues: news about the school, projects to help with, free meals in the dining hall, discounts for motels, etc. I'm much happier in their alumni association than I ever was with TTU's semblence of one.

#23 John of Japan, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was my experience with ttu also. I even took some perspective students by the school. But there was never any kind of communication back to me.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just now got an email from TTU explaining things, a day after the Chattanooga newspaper had it. Even as they close up shop, we alumni are still in second place. :BangHead:

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,
    You beat me to it. I got mine this morning. I responded with basically what you said.

The letter said they had input from the alumni before they ever started this process. I have yet to hear from anyone they spoke to.

It's sad.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe they have an "in-house" alumnus they can talk to so they can cover all bases. :rolleyes: