1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tennessee Temple Schools to Join SBC?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually I atteneded TTU but never graduated back in 93. While at SEBT (SBC Seminary) I met many of those whom I attended school with who were on staff there. At another school I visited some friends at I met yet some more old TTU friends. Last time I was back at TTU visiting the campas one my old floor buddies was now the Dean of Men there and he stated he knew of alot old TTU'ers who were now staffing at many SBC schools and pastor many churches as well.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was often blessed at TTU by messages in chapel and missionary conference by many of their missionaries, and still have close friends in BMM. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Representatives form both of those boards visited TTU often and recruited many missionaries from Temple students who were not necessarily GARB. I myself prayed about going to Hong Kong under ABWE until the Lord confirmed my call to Japan.

This is one of the great ways in which Temple was used from its inception through the 1980s at least. Due to Dr. Roberson's burden for worldwide missions, many missionaries preached in chapel, and the yearly missions conference in the 1970s at least was the best I've ever seen, and I've been in many of them. Unfortunately there were students that complained about it and never caught Dr. Roberson's burden for the Great Commission. On another forum (where I never joined because of the very loose moderating) I read posts by a grad complaining about how boring the conferences were. I was absolutely never bored!

I would guess that the missionaries who got their burden, were called while there or just graduated from Temple Schools number in the 1000s! I credit Dr. Roberson more than any other one person for the great Fundamentalist missions movement I am a part of. I believe that IFB churches have more missionaries per capita and give more support per capita than any other evangelical group, including the SBC.

#22 John of Japan, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, an honest question. Do you believe the many SBC grads of Temple Schools will make the TTU transition to the SBC a success by their vocal support and by sending students?

4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Let's just say there are factors in place that make TTU an attractive option for conservative Southern Baptists in the region. The attention the school has received from Johnny Hunt (speaking at the convention the day of his election) certainly contributes to the possibility the school will receive a real boost.

Conservatives in the SBC have been doing their best to find schools that fit their beliefs after losing many of the schools to the moderates over the years. That's why they went after Cedarville and why TTU is being so openly welcomed.

5. GaryN

GaryN New Member

I was a student at TTU for a year back in 79. Wow! I hate typing that!:laugh:

Great school then. I really don't know if this will be a good move or not. It is getting harder and harder to find a good conservative Baptist school anymore. I mean one that will not compromise with the world and the "god of ecumenicalism."

I hope they will stand fast.

I am a conservative Southern Baptist that preaches like an Independent. Wow, do I fit in anywhere??????

I know I get allot of frowns!:laugh:

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gary N Reply

Hey Gary,

I want to be one of the fist to welcome you to the BB.

I do not know your background so will not take anything for granted. I wish you would check out The Southern Baptist Seminary @ Louisville and Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in NC. I would think that they would fulfill all of the descriptors you have set out in your post above!

I would, however, like to know if you think that Al Mohler (Southern Seminary) being involved with people like R.C. Sproul in the "T4G" (Together for the Gospels Conferences) where conservatives & evangelicals who are gathered around the heart of the Gospel rather than denominationalism or church polity or government or Baptism is "ecumenicalism" as you intimated above?

And I for one would like for you to "flesh out" what you mean when you say that: "I am a conservative Southern Baptist that preaches like an Independent." Do you mean the "old fashioned stomp and snort?" Do you mean by that loud vs. content? Do you mean by that wearing the folk out by beating them in the head with the Bible? Or some other sub-cultural "independent Baptist" type of preaching?

Or, is your understanding of being "Southern Baptist" one who does a close exegesis of the original language texts and then does a carefully week by week exposition of the books of the Bible? There is great amount of difference by some (most?) do not know the difference?

Please advise of these distinct matters of being "Southern Baptist!"

Let me hasten to say, that I intend to offense to either you personally or to the IFBers out there that may read this.

Look forward to talking with you again.

"That is all!"

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think this will be a great move for TT. One of our local SBC pastors is a TT graduate and we have sent students there before from SBC churches. I always thought of TT as an SBC school, at least to the point that SBC preachers and evangelists and students were welcome there.

I have a couple in a church I formerly pastored that lived in Chattanoga in the 40s during WWII. At that time they attended Highland Park and it was an SBC church.

Was the school ever a SBC school before? Was Highland Park still SBC when TT was founded? Perhaps one of you alums knows.

Now we are only a couple hours from TT so the location is great for us, but I think this will make it a better choice for some of our students.

8. GaryN

GaryN New Member

I believe that Dr. Roberson pulled the church out of the SBC. The school was formed under the church and was independent Baptist.

I still love that area of Tennessee.

9. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Over on the Fighting Fundy board this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Yes HPBC was SBC until the '50s when Dr. Roberson pulled out over a local squabble. But he remained friendly to the convention and regularly invited SBC pastors to speak at the church and school. In recent years some of tried to portray Dr. Roberson as anti-SBC and that couldn't be further from the truth despite his IFB stance.

And GaryN, there are a number of schools including TTU that fit your description. If anything, there are many more quality options today than back in the day.

10. GaryN

GaryN New Member

Being Southern Baptist to me is being a member of a SBC church. I am not a denominational guy. I am a member of a SBC church because I felt led to join there.

Preaching Independent, bad choice of a word. I am Independent of any denomination. I was not refering to any particular style of preaching. Maybe I was tired, as I usually work 14 to 16 hour days, and it all gets a little fuzzy at times.:type:

I have no idea what the Mohler thing is that he is doing, my ignorance. I shall check it out. I do like Dr. Mohler.

Personal preference, I like hard preaching (no gymnastics) and I like good teaching. I do not like to be put asleep. Our pastor does a verse by verse study on Sunday evenings and I love it more than the Sunday morning service. To each his own.

I may not have "fleshed out" enough, but being new I am not wanting to violate an off topic rule right off the bat!:laugh: